Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can pretty much get the same customizing abilities with an ATI stock.
But you can't compare a composite stock to one milled from a solid billet of aircraft-grade aluminum.
The SCAR is basically indestructible. IMO, the stock is clearly worth the $$ it sells for.
Whether it's worth that to you, is up to you...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Agree that its worth the money as in its built like a brick s#ithouse, but the whole $500 stock on a $600 gun is just plain moronic, 1100 bucks puts you on a diferent shelf as far as rifles are concerned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A $500 stock on a $600 rifle is the most effective way to make sure you can never afford an $1100 M1A.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Best answer! (can you still get a decent M1A for that?)

Nuf said!!!

What's that old saying 'bout a pig's ear and silk purses?

But, to each their own! If you got the money, and want to spend it, go for it!!. (I'd really rather have a real SCAR, already got an M1A and a Mini)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Cabela's in Buda, TX has a used Mini-14 stainless, 580-series with a SCAR stock for $1299. The stock is of the straight-back, M4 variety and makes it impractical to use with the iron sights because they are too low to see when the shooter's cheek rests on the stock; it would be fine for mounted optics, however. I felt the rifle was well-balanced and about the same weight as the used SIG-556 SWAT model that was also for sale.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe the SCAR's were originally meant to mount the AC-556's into...

So that would be a $5000 rifle in a $500 stock. (Or whatever AC's are going for these days.)
No kidding?!

That would make a lot more sense!

But, when I first saw the AC's, they were a lot cheaper than that, and now, your right, I don't think you could get one for $5k.

However, that is an interesting piece of history, and I thank you for it. :cool:

Being somewhat of an oldfart, this is what I love about the internet, and the various boards!!

As always, Things that make you go Hhhmmm....

Be Well,

Pete

·
Registered
787 Posts
jeez. everyone's opinion is always better than someone else's.

what about precision shooters that regularly put stocks on their rifles that cost more than the rifle? or how about optics that can cost as much as 4x of the rifle itself?
hell, why add optics to a mini? you might exceed your budget. why add a suppressor to your mini? again, you might put something on it that costs more than the rifle itself.

it blows me away how some people try to do sh!t as cheaply as possible then badmouth people that do it a different way.

if it wasnt for people trying to make improvements on existing designs, and/or give more options for existing designs, we'd still be using pointy sticks.

variety/options/choices are what make things great for us. and if you feel othersise, you are a fool.

some of yall really need to check your attitudes.

why do I have a SCAR? because I effing wanted one.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP is badmouthing the SCAR stock, or its owners. $500 is a lot of cash to most people, so I would wanna know about it too, before I dropped that much on it. That said, it does look cool. I'd love to try one out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jeez. everyone's opinion is always better than someone else's.

what about precision shooters that regularly put stocks on their rifles that cost more than the rifle? or how about optics that can cost as much as 4x of the rifle itself?
hell, why add optics to a mini? you might exceed your budget. why add a suppressor to your mini? again, you might put something on it that costs more than the rifle itself.

it blows me away how some people try to do sh!t as cheaply as possible then badmouth people that do it a different way.

if it wasnt for people trying to make improvements on existing designs, and/or give more options for existing designs, we'd still be using pointy sticks.

variety/options/choices are what make things great for us. and if you feel othersise, you are a fool.

some of yall really need to check your attitudes.

why do I have a SCAR? because I effing wanted one.
Remain calm. No badmouth intended. Just looking for information. If you wanted one for more reasons than just effing, that's all I was looking for.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP is badmouthing the SCAR stock, or its owners. $500 is a lot of cash to most people, so I would wanna know about it too, before I dropped that much on it. That said, it does look cool. I'd love to try one out.
OP wasnt, other people were.

$500 is a lot for sure.
that being said, there's one for sale right now, right here on this board for much cheaper that that....
and at the asked price, you could purchase, try and if you didnt like it, resell and probably only be out "shipping".

you either "want" a SCAR (few people "need" one) or you do not. and if you just "want" one, then I think you have a pretty good idea of what you're getting in to when you purchase.
if you want rails on a super budget, ad your own to your existing stock
if you want rails/options on a budget, buy a ATI or tapco
if you want rails/options in the best platform available, buy a SCAR or a Troy.
aka
if you want to get to work, walk
if you want to not walk, ride the bus
if you want to get to work the best way possible, buy a car

what do you want and to what lengths will you go to get it?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.