Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a reliable rifle for home defense,farm use,and target shooting. I currently use an AK type rifle but have considered a mini-14.
But after going from one forum to the next I keep hearing horror stories.
I was even told a story by a Marine Corps officer which told me of the Bahamian security forces training fiasco after receiving thier new mini's, halfway through training they had to borrow Colt rifles from another military branch to finish the excercise which included expending quite a few live rounds. Are all these problems flukes or are the claim to the Mini 14 reliability just as fraudulent. I really like the looks of the rifle, and own quite a few Ruger products. Seems like this one is the rotten apple in the barrel. Enlighten me please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a former mini-14 owner who recently came back. I traded my old one in 2004 for an AR-15 I was talked into getting.

I no longer have the AR, and just picked up a stainless 580 series mini (the new ones made after Ruger retooled the Mini production line).

The old one ran like a top and the new one so far has, I like the stainless one better than the old blued one I had.

I never fired the old one enough (or the new one yet) to proclaim their reliablility, but so far, no problems for me (I did spring for two factory 20 rounders, that helps in the reliablilty department, I believe).

If you enjoy punching holes in paper targets, an AR may be better for you.

If you view a firearm as a tool like I do (and I have many different tools in the garage and the gun-safe for different jobs) the mini-14 is a good addition to the toolbox.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
As for reliability, I say the mini-14 is one of the most reliable semi-autos you can lay hands on as long as you have good mags. I personally like the Ruger factory 20's as they are easy to find and not too bad expensive.

Accuracy is probably not as good as an AR unless you put a little money in it for some mods.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I am in Kali and so I am limited to the Mini-14. I have had one of my Mini-14's for over 20 years and I like it.

If you are limited as to a number of guns, stick to the AK. If you just want to round out your gun collection, go ahead and buy a Mini. I consider the Mini-14 to be a 'must have' gun.

Reliability? Very reliable. No problem there at all.

Accuracy? No problem for me either.

The Mini-14 was not designed to be a tack driver. It is a reliable little light weight handy dandy carbine that does just exactly what it was intended to do.

I only need Minute-of-Pie-Plate at 200 yards for what I would likely use a Mini-14. Basically, I want to be able to hit a torso sized target at 200+/- yards. Especially one that is ducking and weaving and trying to take cover.

If I want greater accuracy for longer distances...M1A or bolt action scoped sniper rifle.

I am of the opinion that the factory 20 round mags have 2 problems.

1. They are not 30 round mags.

2. They should be $10, just like USGI M16 mags.
________
AVANDIA LAWSUIT

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I also went from Mini-14, to ARF, back to Mini-14.
The main reasons that I switched to an ARF were mag availablity and the "coolness factor". (This was during the AWB, when hi-cap Mini mags were few and far between, and very pricey.)
Now there are plenty of hi-cap mags that are inexpensive and reliable.
And I got over the "coolness factor" pretty quickly with my Bushmaster M-Forgery jam-o-matic. (And, yes, I am meticulous about keeping my firearms clean and properly lubed.)
I have found the Mini platform to be very reliable.
And with a few simple mods, plenty accurate (my four Mini-14's all shoot under 3" at 100 yards.)
Lots of armchair warriors like to bash the Mini-14. Why? Who knows. I guess they're just not cool enough.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
If you want a gun that is light. reliable, fun to shoot, reasonably accurate out to 100 yards, and don't mind doing a few things to bring it down to 2" or so, the Mini is perfect. It looks good, fair price, made in the USA. It is a great open sight rifle. To me it is remincient of the M1 Carbine while looking like a small version of the M14. Buy one, everyone should have at least own one in their lifetime. I like to shoot highpower, so I use an AR or a M1. When out in the desert or messing around in the woods, the mini would go. Different guns for different things. Too many people try to confuse the issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i have a mini 30 and love it. after nearly 4,000 rounds i find it to be very reliable. when i go to the range everyone seems to be amazed that i hit 6 inch targets, every shot, at 100 yrds with open sights. i have an older ss ranch model. honestly im not really a good shot but the guys who run the range think i am cause they say minis are crap. i dunno but i love mine.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Ronin072265 said;
I was even told a story by a Marine Corps officer which told me of the Bahamian security forces training fiasco after receiving thier new mini's, halfway through training they had to borrow Colt rifles from another military branch to finish the excercise which included expending quite a few live rounds.
Why exactly did they need to borrow other rifles to finish? Did this Marine Corp officer have first hand knoledge of this? I can't imagine what could cause a problem like that. I guess that Bahama being an island nation and the posibility that the minis' could have been blued instead of stainless might preclude a rust prob. and we all know that the rust worm can be fatal to any firearm.;) Be that as it may the Garand action is a proven and very reliable platform, 'nuff said.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. The knowledge about the Bahamians was first hand in his case. Apparently he was working with them as an advisor and they were running a live fire CQB course. Apparently they had fired between 1000-5000 rounds over the week depending on the individual and training needs that week.
I think I will purchase the rifle. Any advice on which mags to get, especially if they are a bargain. But they must be reliable. Thanks all. Glad I found this forum.:)

·
Registered
817 Posts
On the one hand, I have heard anectdotal 'evidence' about Mini-14's.

On the other hand, I have had Mini-14's for over 20 years. And a whole lot of friends have Mini-14's. And I have seen a lot of Mini-14's at ranges. And I have talked to a lot of Mini-14 owners.

The 'stories' I hear about on the internet just don't square with what I have seen with my own two eyes for decades and the feedback I have gotten from many many owners.

People have predjudices against and for certain platforms. Whatever...

Mini-14's are very relialble. Certainly far more so than any civlian is going to need.

I believe that you will be happy with a Mini-14 purchase. Just like everyone else I know.

Mags are a sore point with me. But, if you stick with factory mags, you should never have a problem.

Have fun with your Mini-14! :D
________
properties for sale Pattaya

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
As far as current production magazines, I have found these to function very well:

1. ProMag polymer 30's (they do require a break-in period of about 100 rounds.)
2. Masen steel 30's
3. ProMag steel 20's

"Pre-ban" mags that work well for me:
1. Thermold polymer 30's
2. PMI (Precision Mag Industries) steel 20's, 30's, and 40's

...and, of course, Ruger Factory Mags.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In CA your pretty limited, so the Mini-14 works well for me, there's others I want to buy such as the Kel-Tec SU16CA (another rifle with plenty of stories), the SOCOM II, etc. I've considered the Mini-30 too, just to have it, why not.

Eh, it's only money....

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I think you will find that Bahama had ACG's and not plain old mini's. THey later disposed of them I believe based on the experience of the advisors. I'm sure it couldn't be the fact that the US advisors were training on the M16 platform and no one on the Bahama side was trained at all. Inherant government thinking. It really takes someone who is familiar with the weapon to train someone on using it.

Not pointing blame, just commenting on politics...

I think you will be satisfied with a mini. Best all around ranch gun for most size critters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bought my Mini-14 today. According to the serial number it was manufactured in 1983. It's not a ranch rifle like I wanted, but the full wood stock plain jane mini. I love it. I paid $375. Looks like it spent more time in the closet or gunsafe, a little surface rust which came off with a little WD-40 and steel wool. I called all over town and couldn't find a used one for less than $575. Luckily I just happened by a pawn shop I had never been in before
and there she was in the rack.Now I just need to pick up some ammo and a few mags and I'll be set. So far no regrets. Will give range report by the weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gratz and welcome too the mini-14 club :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I guess my situation's a lil different. Here in Ca back in
1998/9 SB.23 passed and was signed by then Gov
Grey Davis. This is Ca's infamous AWB law. The AR &
like clones would have to been reg with the state DOJ.
I see that as major BS. However the mini wasn't listed
so I decided on it. What's nice is if I decide to sell it
here in Ca, I'll be able to do so, where as the AR once
listed as an AW can't be resold to another person here
in Ca. In fact those weapons that made it to the asinine
SB.23 list, once the owner isn't able to use or doesn't
want it anymore must either sell it outside of Ca, find
a state authorized AW gun shop to and sell it to,
turn it into the local police, or in the end, have it destroyed..:(

Thank Heavens the mini is not that list ! However Ca
may vote Jerry Brown [moonbeam] into office as the
new AG. He's not getting my vote. No thats going
to Sen Poochigian for AG [shameless plug, folks].
No telling what that critter Brown wants to do, but
he's bad for gun owners here in Ca. Sorry off topic..

My mini shoots pretty good, but I've spent a
lot on money on it. I hardly shoot it anymore and am
thinking of selling it, so being in Ca with it off the list
was & is the determining factor for me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ronin072265 congrats on your Mini. Mine was made in 1976 and I have found it to be a great fun gun to shoot.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Here's one of the biggest problems with the entire situation. I think that a lot of people hear a bad story about mini-14's and then it snowballs. God knows where the first person even heard it. People absolutely LOVE to have an opinion of something that they have ZERO experience with and shove that sh*t down other people's throats no matter how factual it may be. My favorite part about 99% of the mini-14 stories is that it's always something that THEY heard from someone else who is a solid source but then the person that they heard it from is the third party as well and they never touched the weapon either.

My ONLY complaint about the mini-14 is that the barrel COULD be thicker but that is all trivial. I own both AR's and Mini's and love both. Here's where I personally find the true difference between the two weapons. A Mini-14 has IMMEDIATE reliability and every time you pull the trigger, it is 100% that it will go boom. It's my opinion that the AR may not have the same level of immediate reliability but I think that, only due to the fact that it is a war-time platform and has gone through severe government trials and testing, it has a higher level of longevity and can take a higher round count before wearing out things like springs or trigger components.

It just ****es me off when people talk down on something that aside from some dumbass story that they heard from someone else, there is absolutely no evidence that it is of poor quality and no one with these stories has ever even used it. It's not like the Jennings Bryco crap with news reports of the damn things blowing up or accidentally discharging into a kid's spine (although...point your f'ing gun in a safe direction) where it is absolute fact that it's crap. The flip side of this is something like Hi-point that everyone bad mouths yet I have heard several reports of them being a decent and safe weapon. I don't reccomend them to people because to clean them you need to remove roll pins so it's a horrible choice for someone that will want to shoot it a lot but if you need a purely defensive handgun and you're poor, it won't explode in your hand and it won't jam on every round.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is the links:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=119430

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=207015

The clerk on the phone said they were both Western Mags. It might be a while before I can buy them So I'll need to save up. I'm a widowed father on a fixed income with 5 kids, so every dollar has to count. It might be a while before I can buy them so I'll need to save up. Don't want to waste my money on junk.

I want to thank all of you for your help and comments. You've really been helpful and courteous.

Thanks again,

Scott

1 - 20 of 29 Posts