Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of information for Mini-14s, but for its "big bore brother the Mini-30," very little seems to be available. I'd like to find out more about the -30.

Does anybody know of any publications that deal with the -30? Do the fine publications written about -14s apply to -30s, and is there a guide for which parts are interchangeable?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had a Mini 30 for 15 years and frankly there has never been much written about it. On the other hand, nearly everything about the Mini 14 ranch rifle applies to the 30 with the exception of the caliber differences. I bought mine to hunt deer with, thought it more practical than the 14.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not to diss fans of the Ruger Mini-30, but for the money ($500 give or take) I'd just as soon get an SKS and a few cases of 7.62x39.

·
Registered
9 Posts
<<<<Not to diss fans of the Ruger Mini-30, but for the money ($500 give or take) I'd just as soon get an SKS and a few cases of 7.62x39.>>> No diss taken, that's been my experience too. I like the 30, but I'd never buy a blued one again. The (affordable) Russian ammo is filthy, & really eats up a gun if the barrel isn't chrome lined, or stainless steel. Yes, - I clean it EVERY time I shoot it, not that big of a deal, I'd use the cheap ammo again, it's saved more $ than any damage it's caused (I paid $355 for the rifle). I'd rather tear up an SKS, but I don't think you can tear up a Russian SKS
. R

[This message has been edited by WILSON (edited 05-18-2000).]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Accuracy is not very good in the thirty because the ruger is rifled at .308 dia. and the bullet size for 7.62 ammo is .311.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts