Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some here with vintage GB Models. I think it was Bepe that bought one when he was in the Army in the 70s. Chimed in with your experiences. I will be on the road for a month, so I won't be able to shoot it until I get back, but I can't wait.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have two 183 vintage Mini 14 GB models---one blued and one stainless. The stainless rifle produced about average accuracy for a Mini (somewhat better with ammo it "liked")---the blued rifle shot every brand of ammo much better than the stainless rifle---back when my eyes were young! Both rifles have been completely reliable and more than capable of defense level accuracy. I carried the stainless rifle (fitted with a factory Ruger folding stock) during the 1992 Rodney King Riots here in L.A., while the blued rifle was left at home for the wife (she is fully capable of operating the Mini 14 and enjoys shooting it). The stainless rifle was the first gun I pulled out during the recent George Floyd Riots... I trust both of them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Jonjeo---No, I was managing a gun store here in L.A. during the 1992 riots. There was a phone call from "The Rooftop Koreans" a couple of days into the riots---they said they were running low on ammo and did we have any to sell---I told them we had plenty (stocked up before the riots started) and they came over in two cars and we loaded them up! Before they left, they invited us for "A night of shooting." (!) We had to man our store 24 hours a day (to prevent looting and burning of the store) and couldn't go, but I'm sure the ammo was put to good effect... Interesting times...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A cop I worked with in the late 90s had been there for mutual aid. He said every morning, unmarked vans picked up the dead looters in the street, who were shot while doing the looting. No coroner's cases were opened...., nor did they news report that. He said it was like Somalia during the worst of it. He had heard that they were listed as "missing" if anyone enquired, as looters being shot dead while looting was not in the city's best PR interests....

I tended to believe him, as I heard the exact same thing from a retired LAPD detective a few years later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts