Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, New guy here - Picked up my first mini 14 rifle the other day , I'm just wanting to know which spare parts are a must to have on hand?

Thanks

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Hi, New guy here - Picked up my first mini 14 rifle the other day , I'm just wanting to know which spare parts are a must to have on hand?

Thanks
I haven't had any problems yet, but a firing pin will be at the top of everyone's list.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
After 2,000+ rounds, I have yet to break ANYTHING on my Mini-14. Some will say firing pins, some will say entire bolts. I say shoot quality ammo and don't worry about replacement parts. ;)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
COBrian is right. If the gun is made without a defect or issue, it's very rugged and reliable. I don't think it takes long to discover if something was missed by quality control, especially fire pins.
BUT other have had the factory sell them a fitted spare bolt and pin when they sent in their broken pins to be replaced. I will probably do the same, but I'm over 1k rounds without issue..

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Hi billzill;

You should stock the following parts:
1. Spare action spring (EVERY self loader should have at least one spare since with use they WILL lose "power" and the action will take a battering)
2. Set of smaller springs - breakage/loss is the issue here
3. Firing pin, extractor, ejector with associated plungers, etc. I DID have a firing pin break around the 4000 round mark and have never used anything but brass cased .223/5.56 ammo
4. Replace handguard with a FedOrd or Choate nylon model. The original fiberglass ones chip and can crack in a drop. The FedOrd and Choate models also promote cooling better.
5. Rear sight screw set - I have had the screw that holds the assembly as well as the two that hold windage come loose, though haven't lost one yet. At bare minimum you need to use blue loctite on them if you aren't going to stock spares.

If you are using irons, I strongly advise that you pick up a tech sight to replace the stock rear sight.

Other parts can be bought for a comprehensive armorer's kit, but the fact is that you should be able to fix pretty much everything that is likely to go wrong with that.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
477 Posts
+1 on grumpy's list.

They really apply to any semi-automatic firearm, be it pistol, rifle or shotgun. That said, magazines are also part of the list. NONE of the semis work without a magazine.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Spare parts, ammo and magazines!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Keep in mind the rifle have to go back to Ruger for a pin change. It is not the same as popping in an AR pin in less than 5 minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts