Perfect Union banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CCW Holder
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to a Gunshow day after tomorrow to pick up accessories for my new mini 14 and see if .223 or 5.56 is cheaper than Walmart

What magazines should I avoid?

YouTube reviews vary by reviewer and generation, so what so you, the owners and shooters, recommend ?

Thanks

Mudpuppy
S&W M&P 40
S&W M&P 40c
Ruger Mini 14

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do yourself a favor and just get the factory ruger mags. You can order from Hoffmans or Midway and there are other sources, I wouldn't expect any deals on factory ruger mags at a gun show. But I could be wrong, anyway Hoffmans is hard to beat on thier price. All other mags is a crap shoot as far as the mini is concernd.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would avoid any magazines that are not Ruger factory mags. Prices are reasonable, availability is great.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Like the others have said, stick with the factory ones. I have had some good luck in the past with federal ordnance and ramline mags (last rnd holdopen didn't always work), but they havn't been made in many yrs. The promags seem to be hit & miss. Ive also done well with 10 rnd "American" brand mags, But "USA" brand were mostly junk. Don't buy anything that is not in its original packaging, or is not guarenteed by the seller.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I've had good luck with Promag and factory Ruger mags and nothing else. You have to play around with them to get them to work. kwg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Another vote here for Ruger factory mags.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
And again, Factory mags. My current mfg. Promags work also but it seems it's harder to lock a full mag in on a closed bolt. Also some did require minor fitting

·
large member
2,089 Posts
well, i know i'm just being redundant here, but on average, after market mags are MAYBE $10 cheaper. not worth it, imo, my factory mags have worked flawlessly. go with factory mags.

i just wish ruger made a factory stainless mag. it would be a useless item, but it would look pretty cool :cool:

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
I have had a mini 14 where the ruger made high caps were too loose and didn't work. In that particular rifle only the federal ordnance, american and ramline's worked ( other than the stock 5 rnd.) It is a 185 series mini.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My vote goes to Ruger factory mags. I have 8 20 rounders that have not given me a moments problem...........................Joe

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have two factory mags, five steel Promags. All work equally well for me. Got the Promags at Academy Sports for $16-20 depending if they're on sale.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Youtube has this dude Gollirla tactical. Said the tapco mags are ok after 100 rounds...

But if you are wasting 100 rounds plus the cost of the mag, might as well just get a real Ruger mini 14 mag?

·
Registered
311 Posts
My one promag polymer mag spits out the top round if I attempt to load 30 rd. It did function well enough the few times I used it. Feed lips flex under the strain, spreading apart and spitting out the cartridge.

·
Registered
34,484 Posts
PMI mags are the only aftermarket mags for the Mini 14 I trust besides factory. They haven't been made since '94 and are nearly as expensive as factory mags these days. Stainless 30 round ones still in the wrapper are not uncommon and were recently for sale online for around $35. When buying used look for "Precision Mag Industries" on the floorplate, like this:

The Masen 10 rounders I got work alright so far, but the paint chips and at least in my Mini the fit is a bit too tight. I haven't used them much and probably won't. I tried some unnamed cheap mags when I first got my Mini that were so bad I put them in the recycling bin; that was all they were good for. Thinking back on it I sort of wish I'd used them for targets first, but at the time I wanted to get them out of my sight asap. And that is just how all too many Mini aftermarket mags are, both for the 14 and 30, according to years of reports.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts