Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering which AR did you buy and why? Did you go for the 5.56 or did you go for the .22 versions?

I will go first...

I purchased a Stag Arm model 3. Stag is becoming a leader in building AR 15. They use 100% of their own products. So if I have warranty work on my Stag Arm, they keep everthying in stock in their warehouse. I believe almost every AR has a lifetime warranty but it is a benefit knowing they should be in business if I need anything.. I guess my second choice would have been the Smith and Wesson M&P. I am very happy with my selections with the Stag Arms...

Now it's your turn tell me why you pick yours...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My first two that I bought mostly as an investment were a couple of the training rifles my range was selling at good price. DPMS mid length uppers on Millet Billet tricked out lowers. I started shooting one and put the other away. I started liking the AR platform and went out and bought a new Colt 6920.

·
American realist
316 Posts
i have the CMMG mid length. i did some research on the police/LEO forums & found a really good article where one person tested all of the top models at the time. this one had all the best options preferred. so far it has run flawlessly...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Ruger SR-556E (5.56 piston AR). I had my eye on this AR for a while, even before they offered it with the smooth hard guard. I trust Ruger engineering and have known their quality/durability firsthand for years. I wanted an AR that would be reliable, and run clean so I went with the piston system. I had read about carrier tilt, but it always seemed like a minor problem with a few ways to remedy. I have not experienced any signs of it yet, but I still keep an eye peeled.

So far (500 rounds or so) it has functioned flawlessly and shoots great. Although I have only shot it prone and with iron sights. I will be picking up an Aimpoint PRO within the next few weeks, and I look forward to trying it out with a high quality optic.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My first one was a Bushmaster, bought used about a dozen years ago, just because someone I knew had it for sale. Then I learned how easy and fun it was to assemble them myself and that's what I have done with every AR I have owned since.

Technically, I still have the Bushmaster but I think the lower receiver, bolt catch assembly, mag catch assembly and a few small springs are the only original parts remaining.

·
Scout
100 Posts
I chose to go with " Built not Bought " on mine. I used a DPMS lower for starters and picked and chose all the rest of the parts as I wanted them. I may have a little more in mine than I could have bought one for, but I know it inside and out...

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I bough a Rock River Arms with a heavy bull barrel and a riser. Put a nice Zeis scope on top. The down side is that every bullet goes in the same hole so you can tell how many times you hit the target.

I also have a Spikes tactical with a standard A2 upper with a Wilson Heavy Barrel. Bought it so I would have one like I used in the military.

I have an DPMS AR-10 with a fluted heavy barrel and Magpul PRS. I have a PEPR mount and a Leatherwood scope. I wanted it cause I wanted something to shoot .308. It works.

I have an ATI lower with a 300 blackout upper. Haven't shot it yet. Still trimming the brass for it.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I bought a Delton Echo 316/MOE. a few months back. Magpul buttstock, handguard, pistol grip, and trigger guard. It also came with 1 magpul pmag. I liked the delton because its made with quality parts, it has a 1:9 twist heavy barrel. I already reload for my mini-14 with a 1:9 twist. Its a flat top so I put a magpul buis and an eotech 512 for sights and the magpul buis is a good sight but the eotech is totally bad ass. I have bought several more pmags for it and added a rail and grip pod. I dont have but a few hundred rounds thru it but all have been flawless. Very satisfied with my purchase and love my little carbine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Self bought! I wanted one solid example of an AR that I could always rely on so I purchased a Colt 6920 last weekend and topped it off with an Aimpoint M2. It's my first AR based rifle, a lot of my shooting buddies build their own and I def. want to do that soon. I just wanted to get my feet wet with one that I wouldn't have to wonder if I did everything right.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Self-built. Spikes Tactical lower, Del-Ton LPK, MagPul MOE mil-spec stock, Rock River Arms 6.8 midlength complete upper, then added A.R.M.S. gas block/flipup front sight, rear sight, and rail system. I've got a Vortex Strikefire red dot riding on it.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I've built every AR I own, including my first one. :cool:

Yes, the first build is nerve-racking. But, holy cr^p is it fun and rewarding...and addicting, I might add! :D

Initially, I was a huge Rock River Arms fan (and I still am). However, I eventually started to introduce other components into my builds. For instance, I began adding DPMS components (e.g. LPK's, stocks, carry handle, barrels, etc.) to my RRA upper/lower build-outs.

Bottom line, I started to build "Franken-AR's", and because there are so many AR product manufacturers, I started to gravitate to products that were functional, aesthetically pleasing to my eye, or simply functional for what I wanted the rifle to do.

For a while I experimented with Roggio Arsenal lowers, but I started to read about some serious quality issues from those who purchased them after the first "scare", around the early-2009 timeframe. Now, I haven't had any issues with mine, but I do plan on swapping them out and keeping them for "spares", or to put together a "knock-around AR".

I next started using Aero Precision Lowers. In short, I am very impressed with the quality, fit and finish. Actually, rumor has it that AP makes the Spike's Tactical lowers.

Finally, I decided to take the plunge into the "billet world". For this, I decided to use Mega Arms. Hands down, my MA AR-style rifles are the nicest ones I own. They are almost surgically-precise in their accuracy. Just an absolute joy to shoot. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought the Rock River lower and then built on that, Spikes Tactical slickside upper, spikes Tactical Nickel/Boron BCG, Timney 3lb skeleton trigger, Military 249 1/7 right hand twist barrel, Aimpoint ML4 you get the point. I chose the AR family because it was the weapon I used in war.

·
fine custom holsters
7 Posts
Built my first and have a few more in process at the moment.

Completed build: 223/5.56

DTI Flattop upper w/ 16" DTI chrome lined barrel
YHM Phantom flash hider
Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS - 12" hand guard
PSA blem lower
JSE lpk
JSE Emod stock w/ JSE mil spec tube, spring & buffer
CAA front & rear flip sights
KonusPro 3-10x44I scope
Magpul RVG
Single point bungee sling

·
Registered
302 Posts
I bought a LMT which I purchased piecemeal over the course of a year because I wanted the very best that I could afford and after seeing reading thousands of reviews over hundreds of manufacturers I realized that there were very few (if any) negative reviews of LMT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
First AR is a Del-ton DT Sport 5.56x45. Reason for getting it, is best bang for my buck. $700.00 Mil-spec AR, cant really beat it for the price. Added a Magpul Flip up rear sight, total price about $750.00. About 200 rounds of Brown Bear down range so far, with my no problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My first is recently purchased Bushmaster from a friend needing to sell to pay a bill. Never shot by him but I promptly put 50 rounds through it to check it out. Accurate and fun to shoot.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts