Perfect Union banner
7K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  GDKPIKPWG 
#1 ·
I have used a variety of AKs from semi to full auto. I would like to buy one and I'm not sure where to start, I know there are a ton of places to look and buy. I been looking at K-Var Corp. ™ recently. What are the differences between the SGL21 and SLR-107? Also, the IZH-132 compared to the other two, will it take regular AK mags? I assume the barrel is not chrome lined but I do like the longer barrel. I am looking at putting whatever I buy into a bullpup stock perhaps, Home I'm not interested in what the furniture is like as one way or the other I will change it. I will be home on R&R from AF in June and would like to pick it up, then take care of the furniture. Please advise on solid varieties and reputable places/ways to purchase. It would be appreciated.

#2 ·
DR,

Firstly, welcome to the PU!

Secondly, and more importantly, thank you for your military service. Guys like you (and my own brother) afford us the freedoms to even have this discussion. Thanks!

As far as your question about what type of AK to go with, it can be hard to answer, simply because there are SO many of them out there. Moreover, some countries/models will capture a higher price due to quality and/or the rarity of the rifle.

I will say that from what I have read, heard and seen, the Arsenal AK-47 rifles are some of the best "modern-day" AK-47 rifles made. They use a Saiga receiver, which are made in the original factory (Izhmash) that the AK-47 was literally born in...and they are still produced there today.

Arsenal does a high-quality job of taking a "sporterized" Saiga, and converting it back to the original AK-47 configuration, including adding an accessory (i.e. bayonet) lug, and a muzzle brake, as well as the standard AK-47 handguards.

BTW, all Saiga barrels are chrome-lined. So, you'll get this with your Arsenal AK-47.

Bottom line, the Arsenal line of AK-47's are a great option to consider, especially if you're simply looking for something that's "turn-key"...buy it, shoot it. :cool:

As far as the difference between the SGL-21 and the SLR-107F, the SLR-107F has a folding stock (hence, the "F" in its designation).

If you're going to put your rifle into a bullpup stock, you might as well get the SGL-21 instead. Plus, you may run into some "issues" with the side folding mechanism interfering with the new bullpup stock. Not sure about this, as I haven't seen the rifle firsthand...but, definitely something to consider.

BTW, I think those Center Balance Systems bullpup stocks look real nice! And, while I'm not into bullpup designs in general, the CBS stocks definitely have me doing a double-take. I especially like the ones for the SKS rifle.

Anyway, if you decide that you want to go with something else, G-broker is a good place to look.

I hope this gets you started. Good luck! ;)

#3 ·
Thanks alaj70! You gave me a good place for me to start.
Out of curiosity, does that mean the IZH-132 is also chrome lined, and will it take the regular AK mags? After seeing the CBS stocks I am impressed and the longer barrel would give a little more velocity. I also looked at the Century built AKs but they are probably out of my price range. Thanks again.

#4 ·
I always recommend Romanian and Russian AK's. WASR and Arsenal. Both may require a compliance conversion depending on what you get, but they're worth it.

I do know that if you order from http://www.firearmsprostore.com/rifles.aspx you can get a discount code to get a nice little chunk of change cut off your ticket. I have bought lots of stuff from there before. They only sell Arsenal, but the prices ain't that bad IMO.

#6 · (Edited)
olereb makes a really good suggestion about getting a Saiga and "converting" it.

And, I also agree that an Arsenal AK-47 is probably better left in its original condition. Simply put, they are really nice as-is.

One point to make about using mil-surplus magazines in a Saiga...In order to get the rounds to feed reliably, you will need to add a bullet guide, which gets installed on the trunnion, directly in front of the breach of the barrel. Not too scary, but you will need to drill and tap a hole for the bullet guide.

Dinzag Arms is a great place to get the bullet guide and other "conversion" parts from. (NOTE: you will need to determine which kind of bullet guide you need, once you get your Saiga.)

I won't turn this into a Saiga "conversion" thread, but I will say that if you have questions about doing a "conversion", I can pass along a good amount of info.

Cheers! :beer:

#7 ·
Thanks,olereb59 and alaj70 that is a sound suggestion. I think that will be the way to go considering the furniture change I plan. I will probably order both the Saiga and the CBS stock now since the stock takes about 3 months lead and hope it is ready when I arrive so I can put them together and get some range time in during my "vacation". If I run into any snags during the conversion I will surely ask here. You guys are great, and I have lots to learn!

#8 ·
If you are getting an ak in 7.62 thats fine but just so you know its almost twice as loud as one in 5.45. I had a saiga that would wake up the world when i shot it. my sister lived over a hill a mile a way and could hear it in her living room when i shot it. I have since sold it and bought a romanian in 5.45.

I have always wanted to do a saiga conversion using a 20 inch barrel saiga in 7.62 just because i cant find any made like that, and it would definitely be a lot quieter i think. At least my sks is.

ammo in 5.45 is cheaper too or at least it used to be.

regardless i love my AKs

#9 ·
If you are getting an ak in 7.62 thats fine but just so you know its almost twice as loud as one in 5.45. I had a saiga that would wake up the world when i shot it. my sister lived over a hill a mile a way and could hear it in her living room when i shot it. I have since sold it and bought a romanian in 5.45.

I have always wanted to do a saiga conversion using a 20 inch barrel saiga in 7.62 just because i cant find any made like that, and it would definitely be a lot quieter i think. At least my sks is.

ammo in 5.45 is cheaper too or at least it used to be.

regardless i love my AKs
No doubt the 7.62 Saiga is loud. I wonder if there ia a type of muzzle brake that might quieten it a little. Has anyone tried that?

#10 ·
#13 ·
I've heard bad things about their customer service, but my lancaster is pretty sweet. I bought it used for $500 plus a couple mags, which in NY is a pretty good price for anything. The fit and finish is nearly flawless, it really is a great looking and easy handling rifle. The tapco trigger that they install on their builds is outstanding, and all other parts look and feel new.

The one and only thing wrong with it is that the sight is *slightly* canted, which if you buy new would be covered under warranty. I would fix it, but since it still zeros fine with a front sight tool I decided I'd leave it.

As far as the arsenal goes, I've heard only great things about the SGL 21. I plan on getting one eventually, but I've got some saving to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.