Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I Info Over Loaded on MAG research... I need help.

What are the better non factory Mini-14 mags in 5.56. I'm looking to up grade existing supplies this year for my Minis. And am looking for some decent affordable mags for the Mini 5.56 (Ranch Rifle 581). With so many improvements for some and others QC going up and down and other mags coming and going I lost track what to go with... :wacko:

Any Advice what might be good or what to stay away from would be welcome.

I got Promags for my Mini 6.8 as those are the only game in town for hi cap Mini 6.8 mags.

Thanks for any help!
Rugerite

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pro-Mags are 100% with my Mini14. I do have one that will not hold the bolt open on empty, but all feed flawlessly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
PMI's have been the only non Ruger mags, that I trust for the 14. Factory Rugers are the only route for the Thirty. I do have a 10 round Pro Mag steel that works 100% in the Thirty.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You can buy factory 20's for 19.99 and 30's for 29.99, why would you want to mess around with aftermarket mags that may or may not work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
PM 20 rd steel for me, flawless.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I was about to get a mix of Tapco, Nationals and Cheaper Than Dirt and a few Promags mags till I figured to ask people with more experience.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can buy factory 20's for 19.99 and 30's for 29.99, why would you want to mess around with aftermarket mags that may or may not work.
Why would you want to pay twice as much as necessary? A Rolls or Chevy will get you accross town in the same amount of time. I opt for the chevy and "Economical" magazines. I therefore bought 1 ea of two types. If they work acceptably I will buy more. If they don't I will spring for Ruger brand mags but not as many. YMMV

:sniper:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Why would you want to pay twice as much as necessary? A Rolls or Chevy will get you accross town in the same amount of time. I opt for the chevy and "Economical" magazines. I therefore bought 1 ea of two types. If they work acceptably I will buy more. If they don't I will spring for Ruger brand mags but not as many. YMMV

:sniper:
Why? Well when you have a weapon that you may have to stake your life on you want it to work when it needs to work. Ruger factory magazines are by far the most reliable magazines on the market. I remember when they were not available people were paying up-wards of 100.00 for a factory 20 or 30. Just about every aftermarket magazine I have tried has been hit or miss to say the least. I've never had a undamaged Ruger magazine fail me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK I finally found where on that Hoffman Link in mags how to find their Ruger Factory Mags! D'oh! I figure this is my one chance to get good mags for this rifle so decided to get 7 factory mags, 4 20 rounders and 3 30 rounders. That should handle my Ruger Mag dilemma for a while. Oh getting two Tapco mags from cheaper than dirt to try out. I'm getting Leapers Bipod there, it comes with adapters for Piccitinny or sling mounts. If I start blasting more I'll probably think lower end ones. Right now just my 5 round factory mag. Thanks people you helped me a lot. I was staring at a lot of Ruger Factory mags running 35 - 40 bucks for even 20 rounders. That's why I was looking for after markets till I found that search function for Hoffmans.

·
Registered
34 Posts
All my mags are Ruger 20 rd's...I have 6 so far. Going up to 10 of them. I found that the 30 rd ones are too big to shoot from comfortably from a bench rest. Besides, ammo boxes are 20 rds each so....

Fry

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
I had good performance with these pre-ban: PMI, Fed Ord (predacessur to PMI), and ramline (plastic), although the ramlines mostly didn't hold open on the last shot, and Eagle. Post ban American (10 rnds). Mostly don't work: John Mason, Pro-mag (steel). To Avoid like the plague: USA brand and anything else not already listed. Good luck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had good performance with these pre-ban: PMI, Fed Ord (predacessur to PMI),
I bought some PMIs or Fed Ord mags a few years ago for my buddy. They fed fine but sometimes would not hold open on last shot in his rifle. Worked fine in my Mini. On a lark added a couple Ruger factory followers to a Midway order. The Ruger followers were just a skoosh too wide to fit. Shaved the sides slightly with a pocket knife. Reassembled - both mags now work perfectly in buddy's Mini.

YMMV

·
Registered
623 Posts
Cheaper then dirt seems to have their own mini 14 mags... Their site has good reviews with the standards jack asses, who claim their are the worst mags ever... Seems these idiots are everywhere bad mouthing all things mini 14.

But cheaper then dirt mags, any good???

·
(*.:.*)
495 Posts
The original Thermolds were good. I haven't tried any of the new production Mini-14 Thermolds. FWIW, the new production Thermold 20 round AR magazines I tried were garbage.

Most of my Mini-14 magazines are Ruger, PMI, and original Thermolds.

I have a couple of ProMag steel 20's (that I use only for range magazines), so far they've worked well.

I've tried USA, and ProMag polymer magazines without success.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have one ProMag polymer 20 rounder for my M30. It functions flawlessly now with any type of ammo I feed it: FMJ, HP, SP...brass or steel cased.

At first it was finicky where it would bulge & almost wouldn't fit in the mag well. In addition the spring wasnt reliable & either cycled poorly or wouldn't load to capacity. After it "broke" in, I do not have any problems with loading, feeding, cycling, or fitament. IMHO, it was worth the minor breakin period especially for what I paid for it....$0!

I also have 5 factory 20 rounders for the M30 which function flawlessly. In addition, I have factory 5 rounder, (7) 30 rounders, & (11) unopened factory 20 rounders for the M14.

I feel pretty set & confident that my mags will be reliable.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Steel Promags have worked the best for me.Great mags at a good price.

-TEX

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I have some steel promag magazine's that work just as good as ruger mags do. If you can find some ruger mags on sale get them, if not the promags are great.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have 4 Tapco thirty rounders and they work just fine in my Mini 14 Tactical with ATI stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts