Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's buying a Springfield XDM, and wants a .22 rimfire look-alike for practice. Being a wheelgun guy, I'm not savvy on these shuck-and-jive pistols, so help me out please?

Ruger MkIII got rejected because she found it too hard to operate the safety. (Did I mention we're both in our late 60s?) That also lets out the Ruger 22/45, I reckon.

Price is an issue. No chance she can afford a Model 41, thanks.

Looks like the Sig Mosquito or the S&W M&P 22 are top candidates, with the Walther P22 lurking around somewhere.

The Sig, I have read here, is very picky about ammo. True or false?

Any other candidates?

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
The SIG is picky. The Walter I read too many accounts of failures, broken parts, etc. After going through about a half a dozen .22's my wife tried the Bersa Thunder and has been very happy with that. It's pretty accurate out to about 15 yards.

The rear sight screw backed out and we lost it, I ended up ordering spare parts directly from the importer, including a spare magazine. All said and done I think we've spent about $345.

I really wish they made .22 kits the the XDM...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know I'm new here but here's what I've had for a month or so and I know your wife will really like this 22 pistol!! My wife sure does, now I have to get her one because she likes it so much!! Its the Ruger SR-22. What a great compact, reliable & accurate gun. I've fed it well over 750 rounds and not one problem. It comes with 2 grips the one that's stock will fit her very well, I switched the grip because of my big hands that grip was too small. The gun is a blast to shoot and while it wouldn't be my choice for C.C., the old saying any gun is better than none rings true here. I paid just over 300 for my SR-22, why not give it a look and make up your own mind on this pistol.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought an SR22 for my girlfriend back in April. It's a fabulous little pistol! Simple to use, very reliable and accurate. Also looks great and is very fun to shoot.

I had a Sig Mosquito and, tho I really liked the look, feel and size of the pistol, I ran into some reliability issues. It was very picky about ammo, so I ran 40 grain CCI Minimags through it almost exclusively. Still had some jamming and FTE problems even though I cleaned it faithfully after every outing.

I definitely recommend the SR22.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought a second one! Now we can both enjoy shooting the SR-22 and she now has a different view of handguns!! And although its not my 1st choice for a C.C. it sure beats nothing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I utilize the SR22's as range guns for my NRA basic classes that I teach around here. Mine have had thousands of rounds through them and very few issues. In fact the only issues were caused by a box of rem golden bullets that I was given. I run Federal Auto Match exclusively out of that and the .22 conversion for my wifes M4.
THat grip is a PITA to switch the first time though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts