Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone;

No, not tossing in the towel, but it appears obvious that if I want to maintain a Mini 14 as a "travel carbine" (i.e. one that can go most places in the US in the trunk during car vacations) I will need to hold my nose and pick up some 10 round mags once the panic dies down. Got all the 20's and 30's I need (even a couple of 100 rounders) but I may not be able to use them as freely when traveling. Originally I just planned trips around locales with mag bans in place but if enough smaller communities ban >10 rounders it will be easier just to pack enough extra 10 rounders so that the loss in capacity doesn't matter. Haven't decided quite what to do on the sidearm (usually travel with a Glock 19) but may pick up a baby Glock at some point. Easier to conceal, anyway.

Okay, so not a single 10 shooter to my name for the Mini platform and my first guess is to go Ruger factory once they're available. But how about ProMag? I generally don't like ProMags, but their 20 shooters have been serviceable in the Mini - never a FTF, sometimes a failure to lock back the bolt but that was fixable. Mason, National, etc. Any good? Any other brands? Pre-panic cdnn used to run no-name Mini 14 mags. Anyone have experience with the 10 shooters?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Grumpy

·
Registered
265 Posts
No hands on experience but I have a couple of John Mason 10 rounders on back order for use as loaners at Appleseed events.
If they ever do get delivered I'll let you know how they fare.
Guido

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have one 10 er that I've had for years. Think its a pro mag steel that I got at bass pro or a local shop. Has always funtioned flawless in my 580 ranch.

Eric

·
Registered
397 Posts
10 round promag nickel finish flawless.

·
Banned
7,397 Posts
The new ruger 10 rnders work perfect in my 580+ mini's, but are too tight in the 181. For the 181, the CDNN no names work great! The promags worked well for about 7 rnds, but were inconsistant. I would not use the promags if my life depended on it. They (promags) are O.K. for range mags.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Grumpy;

I would stick with factory mags when available. I have never used anything else. I only wish there was a way to use stripper clips with the mag in place. It is one of the things I like about my Russian SKS though I prefer my Mini.

I do not worry much about traveling here in the South. it is a gun friendly region of the Nation.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grumpy;

I would stick with factory mags when available. I have never used anything else. I only wish there was a way to use stripper clips with the mag in place. It is one of the things I like about my Russian SKS though I prefer my Mini.

I do not worry much about traveling here in the South. it is a gun friendly region of the Nation.
Hi everyone;

Thanks for the input on the magazine question. If possible I will stick to factory mags, though one of the reasons I posted is that I would like to expand my options during this era of scarcity.

Hi Old Navy;

Interesting to see that you are interested in the idea of a charger guide.

Some time ago I posted a question about whether there would be interest in a stripper clip guide for the mini that was analogous to the one on the M14. At that time there was only moderate interest, but perhaps with the unfortunate turn of events that will change. I am not a professional machinist, but what I was thinking could be feasible would be a bolt-on assembly (probably require drilling and tapping the receiver to accommodate it).

Slightly OT, but this ties into what I was thinking the charger guide would really be useful for. How does this sound to you as a budget militia rifle package?

1. conventional mini 14, ideally a 581 for the heavy bbl (not a tacticool model that could be banned)
2. 10 shot magazine topped off with strippers via a bolt on charger guide as above
3. improved sighting package; either a tech sights drop in unit or a modified M1 Carbine rear sight assembly
4. mount a proper sling stud and swivel arrangement on the forearm, M14 style, then fit with a 1-1/4" GI M1 cotton sling for use with sling assisted shooting positions
5. If a wood stock, oil finish, if a synthetic stock go with a Hogue in FDE or OD
7. finish redone in parkerized or duracoat grey

Sound like something that the gun-grabbers wouldn't be able to demonize so easily, yet would still have a viable utility for the citizen militia?

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have run Ruger and CDNN (JB1410's I think) 10 round mags through my 581 Ranch with no issues. I've also got a couple of Promags backordered at Midway. If and when they finally show up, I'll report back.

EDIT: email from Midway this AM - mags are on the way.

·
Pass the Sauurup
143 Posts
Hi everyone;

Thanks for the input on the magazine question. If possible I will stick to factory mags, though one of the reasons I posted is that I would like to expand my options during this era of scarcity.

Hi Old Navy;

Interesting to see that you are interested in the idea of a charger guide.

Some time ago I posted a question about whether there would be interest in a stripper clip guide for the mini that was analogous to the one on the M14. At that time there was only moderate interest, but perhaps with the unfortunate turn of events that will change. I am not a professional machinist, but what I was thinking could be feasible would be a bolt-on assembly (probably require drilling and tapping the receiver to accommodate it).

Slightly OT, but this ties into what I was thinking the charger guide would really be useful for. How does this sound to you as a budget militia rifle package?

1. conventional mini 14, ideally a 581 for the heavy bbl (not a tacticool model that could be banned)
2. 10 shot magazine topped off with strippers via a bolt on charger guide as above
3. improved sighting package; either a tech sights drop in unit or a modified M1 Carbine rear sight assembly
4. mount a proper sling stud and swivel arrangement on the forearm, M14 style, then fit with a 1-1/4" GI M1 cotton sling for use with sling assisted shooting positions
5. If a wood stock, oil finish, if a synthetic stock go with a Hogue in FDE or OD
7. finish redone in parkerized or duracoat grey

Sound like something that the gun-grabbers wouldn't be able to demonize so easily, yet would still have a viable utility for the citizen militia?

All the best,
Grumpy
If somebody took the stripper clip guide idea and made it reality I would be first in line to buy. A good quality, functioning attachment like that would be worth at least $150 to me, and I would gladly shell that out for one.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I bought 2 nickel plated pro mags from somewhere I don't remember now. I had to polish the front lips where the round slides out of the top of the mag toward the chamber. Other than that they work fine. I use the 10 rounders quite a bit. They help save ammo, LOL.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The best 10-rounder I've found other than factory are from PMI (which is Precision Mags Inc, NOT ProMag). They haven't produced these in decades, so I'm not sure if you could even find them any more.

With one caveat, however: they may not work the last round bolt stop due to a difference in shape of the mag follower. Very easy to fix, however: simply switch out with Ruger followers, and you're good to go.

I have 4 of these modified 10-round mags, and all work flawlessly. Probably collector's items at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
My 2 john masens work well. They are a litte longer than factory 10's too so they look a little cooler but the finish is paint and wears off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On my last order from CDNN I got 2 of the "no name premium " 10 round mags and they work fine, but they are a bit tight if a round is chambered. I think that they are intended to be used with an empty chamber only.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just took possession od a ProMag 10 round today. It hand cycles 10 rounds and keeps the bolt open after last round.

Still waitning on Midway for the Mason mags.
Guido

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have run Ruger and CDNN (JB1410's I think) 10 round mags through my 581 Ranch with no issues. I've also got a couple of Promags backordered at Midway. If and when they finally show up, I'll report back.

EDIT: email from Midway this AM - mags are on the way.
The 2 10 round Promags arrived from Midway. They hand-cycle 10 rounds without issue but the real test will be at the range.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know why anyone would come to NY, but if you do after April 15, don't bring anything other than 5-round mags.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Grumpy:

I like your idea of a "Militia" Mini with a charger guide. I currently own a Davidson's Exclusive Mini 14 Tactical with the Circassion walnut stock. I have thought about refinishing the stock in military fashion by only oiling it and I like the idea of a parkerized finish. I did find some slings I like. One is a beautiful khaki canvas sling with russet leather buckles i got from Jeff's Outfitters located in Cape Giraudo (sp?) MO (Rush Limbaugh's home town). The other is a Ruusian PPSH Sling, alos with leather trimmend buckles and canvas. I goth a few of those from Hesson Antiques a while back. Very utilitarian and use them on some of my other rifles.

I did some research on the charger guide and there was one made, but it did interfere with ejection. It was mounted on the reciever much like some of the scope n moumts where that plate is. Maybe with some redesign, the problem could be resolved. Interested in discussing it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts