Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Well got the barrel refinished and back on the rifle, had it out shooting some groups, and the rifle fired full auto, looks like some idot tried to do a trigger job on it and had no idea what he was doing, i had notice that the sear/hammer notch wasnt right, well this gave me the oppertunty to correct it. And not only that but after it went full auto on me it broke the reticals in the scope, so we will see if Bushnell will fix it. Any way havent had it out to group it since the incident, wating till it warms up alittle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am still kickin' it around, and haven't abandoned the project. I took the gas block apart and trued up the flats on the parting lines. I took the four allen bolts out and the machine work from the factory looked like it was done with a hack saw. I used a piece of glass from a picture frame that was laying around the garage and a full sheet of 220 grit wet-dry sand paper. I used mineral spirits as a lubricant and worked the pieces in a figure eight pattern on the sand paper and glass until they were uniformly silver across the the flat side. I did this for both top and bottom pieces of the block. I was going to use my way cool inch pound torque wrench to put it back together, but the allen screws in the block were smaller than the littlest allen socket I had, so I used a feeler gauge to check the gap on both sides as I tightened the screws back down. When I was finished, I ended up with a .020" gap on both sides. The number isn't important, but they both have to be the same. Use blue lock-tite on the screws. I haven't been out to shoot groups with it yet due the extremely crappy weather we're having in AZ. Snow, rain, wind, you name it we got it. But I did go out and for a few minutes & plinked 8-9 rounds. It's certainly no worse, but without a proper target and rest, it's hard to say how much, if any the groups have tightened up. I was able to hit a one qt. oil bottle at about 75 yds with no problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts