Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about High temp wheel bearing grease as a great lube to use...

The guy said he lubes his mini around the gas bock were the slide arm slams into it... Also looked like he lubed the barrel itself...

I've never done this. I was afraid of getting lube in the gas port...

He said this will prevent the action form sticking and damn it mine does stick for time to time.

What say you all???

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I put it wherever 2 pieces of metal slide against each other and have worn away some blueing, including the bottom of the barrel. Not on the gas block though, but I can't imagine it hurting anything.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If it rubs or slides then grease it with your choice of lube.

·
Registered
95 Posts
NJ2ATX, thanks for the link. The one area I have never lubed is where the bolt and hammer meet during cocking...I have really polished that area but no lube. I was a little concerned about putting stuff near the back of the firing pin. Am I doing harm with no lube? What do you guys think? BTW I've using SuperLube grease for a little while now and really like it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I just got a pound of high temp wheel bearing grease and applied it to the barrel and gas block.

This stuff cost me 3.99 a pound and I just used enough to cover the metal with a tin layer.

I also placed a thin coat on the op spring.

It last for many years, or might not ever have to reorder another pound as long as I live.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I always put a little grease on the outside of the gas piston and all the sliding parts. I use oil on the springs and trigger group. Never had a problem in 25 years and almost no wear. I know some disagree with me, but I don't think you can overlube the Mini. The action just slings off any excess lube and there is no hot dirty gases going into the receiver to gunk it up. I usually shoot 200 rds per session and the receiver is always spotless and sometimes I don't even bother cleaning the receiver, just add a little more grease.

·
Registered
33 Posts
First go steal your wife's hair dryer - then get a can of spray teflon dry lubricant. Apply spray to all the moving parts using the hair dryer to quick dry each piece. I usually put about 8-10 coats. Then take Amzoil synthetic bearing grease applying it very lightly on all the wear surfaces. Smoothest your gun will ever operate. The teflon keeps the burnt by products from sticking making cleanup a mostly wipe off affair. I even use it on the gas block to make cleanup easier. Clean up overspray with carb cleaner. Lightly filing down the high spots on all mating surfaces helps a bunch too. Almost forgot - take your wife's hair dryer back before she discovers it missing. Man!!! Women are touchy about that stuff!:D:D:D:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts