Perfect Union banner

where to get cheap wolf 223 online?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  six shooter 
G
#1 ·
Any ideas the cheapest I have found is 100 for 1000?

#7 ·
Wolf is ok in an AK/SKS but don't punish your fine AR by shooting that stuff through it! Go to ammoman.com and get some of that South African military surplus .223, it is actually pretty good stuff and a good copy of the M193 ammo. He also has Lake City XM193 and Winchester Q3131A which is great ammo at pretty good prices also. And of course if you want Wolf, he has it too for $109 per 1,000 I think. And all his prices include shipping so you actually save in the long run. But if you shoot Wolf you better watch your chamber to make sure it isn't getting gummed up with melted laquer and also be prepared to perform extensive cleaning to remove that red sealant that will be all over the inside of your gun from the sealed primers.

op-rod

#8 ·
Many people don't realize the mechanics of what is happening with steel cases in a .223.

If you put a 7.62x39 round next to a .223, what do you notice other than the diameter of the round? You notice that the .223 is more cylindrical, while the 7.62x39 is more conical (roll it on a flat surface to see it dramatically).

The Russians used the conical shape to ensure smooth loading in any condition chamber. A .223 requires a cleaner chamber.

In order to avoid problems in a .223, plinkers and combat guns should have a military chamber that is looser. But with a less conical (more cylindrical) shape, you can only make it just ~so~ loose and still expect to have a safe headspace, etc.

Just like dropping a cone into a cone shaped hole vs dropping a piston into a perfect cylinder hole, a 7.62x39 round will load easier than a .223.

What this means is that lacquer won't hurt a 7.62 chamber until it gets SO bad. It will affect a .223 rifle much sooner. Milspec chambers, such as found in the base Mini-14, and in good, base Bushmasters and Colts, will be OK, at least for a while, and match chamber .223's should stay AWAY from this ammo.

That's my 2 cents.

#9 ·
I personally would never run the Russian ammo through my AR. I have too much $$$$ in it and I don't like all of the junk it leaves behind. Bill, I never thought about the shape of things but after reading your "2 cents" I had to see for myself and your statement makes a lot of cents......or sense.

:sniper:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.