Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting for over fifty years and have owned a lot of guns over that time; however, I've always wanted one of those short-barrelled M1s which I've heard referred to as the Tanker model. I'm not a collector so a factory original [vs modified standard length gun] is NOT a requirement. Does anyone have any insights on this? Thanx.

No Longer Involved
Well, there isn't really any factory original tanker, at least not USGI.

The US made a few "jungle" versions as tests for the Pacific, and passed on the whole idea. There were maybe a couple of dozen modified in the field for these tests, and that was it. No such thing as a tank version, ever.

So they are ALL mods. And they don't all work that well. Many problems associated with timing, oprod problems, etc. Some people get lucky and theirs work. Many do not, and then you have a wall hanger.

------------------
[email protected]
http://perfectunion.com/

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many Thanx for the enlightenment! Based on the finnicky nature of the beast, I think I'll pass on trying to have one of these made up. I place a very high premium on reliability in a weapon and the shortened M1 doesn't sound like my cup of tequilla. Thanx!

Registered
Bill is right in that there are problems with the Shorty Garand. A lot of times, these things will pound themselves to pieces (op rod smashing against the gas cylinder). Another problem is the timing hasn't been reengineered. The unlocking has to be timed with the dropping of gas pressure to a safe level. It also has to be sufficient to function the action. Finally, the helix cut on the op-rod hasn't been reengineered so the timing is jury rigged.

If you would like to see a GI original shortened Garand and a Springfield Armory (original US Govt) test model, drop into Springfield Armory National Historic Site. They've got both on display as part of their permanent collection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts