Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. Anyone know???? I've had so many different kinds of Mini-14 mags through the years , I had 25 years as an FFL selling at gunshows and in Shotgun News before there was an internet, and I literally sold hundreds of mags, of all the makes: PMI, Eagle, Promag, "No Names", Ruger, Thermold, Masen, etc). I'm 63 now, and can't remember who produced what mags when.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds about right. I was an FFL doing gunshows and selling on Shotgun News a lot 1988 to about 1994. I bought cases of mags for resale. Back in the day I had Thompson, Uzi, Sten, BAR, AR, AK, Valmet, Ruger, HK, and M1 Carbine mags by the gross. Let my FFL expired in 2006, as Kalifornistan got too restrictive. I kept mags for the weapons I had, or planned to re-acquire: AR, AK, Carbine, HK91/G3, Ruger Mini-14, etc. Glad I did, as California closed the door in 2000. All of my mags were grandfathered in because I had them in California prior to the 1-1-2000 cut-off. Being old has its advantages!

Besides my Thermolds and my factory Rugers, I had some steel (probably PMI) mags that were great. They had the mag catch lug welded on, and fed 100%. I never had much luck with the Eagles with the funny rolled up springs in them. How about the current crop of Pro-Mags?

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
thermold relocated to south Carolina a few years back, I gave them a call just as production was restarting and asked about mini 30 mags. was told it was something that had been considered but AFAIK never produced any of those since.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started grabbing the Thermold mags back in '87. Think I have 15 or so and was paying $10 each. At the time, they were the only non OEM mags that worked in my rifle.
I had the same experience. Beside PMIs and Ruger factory, the Thermolds always worked. That's why I kept them after I sold the last Mini. They others had resale value, but for some reason the Thermolds didn't. By the way, I have seen new Thermolds for the Mini as low as $8 each! How crazy is that? If I didn't live in Kalifonistan, I'd get some more (though I think I still have about a dozen!:D)

·
Registered
482 Posts
thermold relocated to south Carolina a few years back, I gave them a call just as production was restarting and asked about mini 30 mags. was told it was something that had been considered but AFAIK never produced any of those since.
How does Google work? Maybe not at the most desired price point, but...

R-M-30/26 - Thermold Magazine

·
Registered
8,470 Posts
thanks for the link - I wasn't aware thermold made any m30 mags at all.
that reminds me of the no-longer-made eagle mags that held 14 and could be extended out to hold 28. I've got one, always does fine - but the roll-up rather than elongated coil spring is suspect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.