Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this on another board, but haven't received any responses - what is the difference between these two models and why do people seem to prefer the Series 70 over the Series 80?

·
Registered
291 Posts
The big difference is that the series 80 has a firing pin safety that works by blocking the firing pin from moving until the trigger is pulled. It adds a few extra parts and some say it will not allow a decent trigger job to be done. Series 80 also come with larger sights.

I remember when the series 80 first came out and there were concerns of how reliable the new safety was but now it seems to have proven itself and I actually prefer the firing pin safety on my Colts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think 70 series is kinda like a bragging rights thing, I believe it was when colt was making the highest quality pistols, but the ones now are pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Redchip

These boys have told you the truth so far as they have gone. The trigger on a series 70 gun can be made to be better than a series 80 because it has fewer moving parts but that is important only of you are a 2700 bullseye shooter.

The main advantage of the series 80 gun is that you can carry it cocked and locked with more safety than a series 70 gun. Since the series 80 gun has a firing pin block, if you drop it cocked and locked, it won't fire. If you drop a series 70 gun that is cocked and locked and it lands on the barrel, the inertia from the blow can be sufficient enough to cause the firing pin to hit the primer with enough force to fire the round in the chamber. It will do that because it does not have a firing pin block. It has a trigger block and the only thing holding the firing pin back is the firing pin rebound spring. I carried a series 70 and even earlier models cocked and locked for 40 years and never had any trouble but I know of a couple of guys who can not say that.

For most shooters, you won't notice the difference between the two. But if you carry in condition one, the series 80 gun is safer. If you are a target shooter, get the series 70 and block the grip safety. You want as few parts draging on the trigger as you can get for a clean sear break.

The best way to find out about this sort of thing is to attend a 2700 shooting match and ask some of the older shooters. Most will be happy to show you what I'm talking about. Once you see it, it'll be self-explainatory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts