Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Everyone says the KIDD triggers -- two-stage for benchrest, single-stage for everything else -- are hands-down the best. Having said that, Hornet Custom has a good reputation, as well.

IMO, I'd rather pick up a (slightly) used trigger group on eBay and send it off to GunDoc, Brimstone, or SwampFox and have them work their magic. Ends up saving $100+ and you get just as nice a trigger as one of the completely aftermarket options.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Kidd is wide;y regarded as the creme de la creme and for good reason. :) After that there's the Jard which I really like and the VQ TG2000 which I'm not impressed with at all considering the cost. Have gotten better rebuilds for under $100 that were better than the $200 VQ one. The Hornet group doesn't really impress me much either as it's more or less just a reworked factory assembly. I'd much rather have one done by TT Shooter or Brimstone before going with a Hornet group.
On the DY route, the Kidd again is at the top with their trigger job kit.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I haven't used a Kidd trigger yet but have been very pleased with anything else I have bought from them. Their customers service is great as well. My latest purchase was an extended bolt operating handle with guide rod and springs. A better price than most of the competition and 3 different springs to suit the type of shooting you are doing.

·
Redleg
260 Posts
I have a Kidd and two Volquartsens. Truly, all are excellent and I cannot tell any difference whatever. The prices are similar, the quality of workmanship looks the same and the triggers feel about the same, which is to say superb.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Timney's are very nice!
I've had good results rolllin' my own which I don't recommend to just anyone. The simplest and most cost effective is to go Power Custom. Reasonably crisp and with some attention to the plunger and general polishing mine come in at 2.0lbs For $30.00 for the hammer it's a dead bang winner.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Two thumbs up for Brimstone!

Everyone says the KIDD triggers -- two-stage for benchrest, single-stage for everything else -- are hands-down the best. Having said that, Hornet Custom has a good reputation, as well.

IMO, I'd rather pick up a (slightly) used trigger group on eBay and send it off to GunDoc, Brimstone, or SwampFox and have them work their magic. Ends up saving $100+ and you get just as nice a trigger as one of the completely aftermarket options.
I recently retired from HP doing my engineering thing. I Know David from my volunteer firefighter EMT where we met and became friends despite our age difference. I have started in training with him to do the 10-22 triggers because of demand for that and all the services. After three days I can say I know the trigger group fairly well. The polymer housings are just fine and 2-2.5 lbs is the same in a polymer housing as it is in an aluminum housing. I plan on making my retirement career working on firearms with him. A tier3 will blow most people away and the tier2 and tier1, I can't imagine a better trigger. And I can tell you he and I are anal when it comes to the quality of work going out the door!
I suppose I have a slight bias:D
Happy Shooting!

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,261 Posts
I have done both my own, and a Power Custom, and both have some advantages.

The PC has a shorter reset, but not any better feel.

Of course, my custom work was more polished, and I really did not do much to the PC guts other than put it into the trigger group housing.

I bought the PC just for the spring of all things. (Needed a spring, and it was in the kit, and the kit was my only option at the moment, so buy a complete trigger upgrade, just for the hammer spring? Only in Idaho I suppose.)

But I have my nice work in a bag, with light oil on the parts, and suppose the rifle will never wear out this way.. But I should get a few extra hammer springs, and other springs as those do wear out over time. (As do extractors, and they are cheap to replace and sure make the rifle happy to run fast when new and sharp.)

Just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If you really want a nice trigger, send your stock trigger, housing and all to Brimstone Gunsmithing for a trigger job. They have 3 different trigger jobs available depending on what you are looking for. I got the cheapest job done for $35 including return shipping and it is a very clean 2.5lb break. I don't think you could possibly find a better trigger for the money.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Brimstone Gunsmithing for a trigger job. They have 3 different trigger jobs available depending on what you are looking for. I got the cheapest job done for $35 including return shipping I don't think you could possibly find a better trigger for the money.
While I have not had personal experience with Brimstone the positive feedback from many happy customers on RFC leads me to believe this is a great deal for the money.
I agree if you are looking for value all of these are good options. But Kidd is the best if you have the money.
Kidd is widely regarded as the creme de la creme and for good reason. After that there's the Jard which I really like and the VQ TG2000 which I'm not impressed with at all considering the cost. Have gotten better rebuilds for under $100 that were better than the $200 VQ one. The Hornet group doesn't really impress me much either as it's more or less just a reworked factory assembly. I'd much rather have one done by TT Shooter or Brimstone before going with a Hornet group. On the DY route, the Kidd again is at the top with their trigger job kit.
As the former owner of a VQ and Hornet trigger group I agree with both statements.
If you are in to modding your own trigger I'm also a fan of Skeeter. Check his website link below.
http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.