Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got offered $60 + brand new Winchester 94 Compact Ranger in 357 for my New Model Ruger Blackhawk in 357 with 6.5" barrel. Curious if it'd be worth the trade. It's got the cross-bolt safety which I heard isn't too hard to remove. Opinions?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd do it. Ruger Blackhawks are easy to replace. Model 94's not so much. Have you seen the prices of the Miroku made winchesters nowadays.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd do it. Ruger Blackhawks are easy to replace. Model 94's not so much. Have you seen the prices of the Miroku made winchesters nowadays.
Note that the Compact Ranger models are generally the entry level Winchesters. The one in question has a cross-bolt safety rather than the tang safety.. though I hear they're very easy to remove and plug up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Note that the Compact Ranger models are generally the entry level Winchesters. The one in question has a cross-bolt safety rather than the tang safety.. though I hear they're very easy to remove and plug up.
I know. The point I was making is that the miroku made ones are the only option for a new model 94 today unless you want to try and find one of the Mossberg copies of the 94. That or peruse all the gunshows hoping to find a pre miroku made 94 that was kept unfired in storage. Blackhawks are still made and are relatively cheap.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True, but right now I'm just looking at actual market value. Seems like the average 94 Ranger Compacts can be had for in the low $300, especially ones with the cross-bolt safety (they seem to be the least desirable).

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
True, but right now I'm just looking at actual market value. Seems like the average 94 Ranger Compacts can be had for in the low $300, especially ones with the cross-bolt safety (they seem to be the least desirable).
That may be true for the 30-30 cal rangers, but not the handgun caliber '94s, especially in .357. I would gladly take the trade and feel that I came out at least $100 ahead in this deal. The Ruger is common, and not as desireable as the carbine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to agree. The Ruger is less valued in the market. The math favors the trade. I think that is what you were looking to ascertain with the original post. Safety or not, the deal is worth doing.

Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts