Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, pre ban is determined by the serial number. Anything made before Sept. 1994 is pre, anything after is post. Owning a pre ban rifle gives you the ability to have certain configurations such as folding stock, flash hider, bayonet. I did, however, talk with a gun dealer in my area. I was inquiring on a folding stock. He informed me that you could put a folding stock on a post ban rifle as long as the stock is pre ban (manufactured before sept. 1994). How one would determine the date on any stock is beyond me. Please, anyone correct me if I am misinformed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mike tell the dealer you spoke to he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about...if you put a folding stock, reagardless on when it was manufactured, on a POST-ban rifle you'd be creating an assault weapon (according to the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994), which is a felony...

In order to put a folding stock on a rifle, the RIFLE must be a PRE-ban, AND must have been in an a.w. configuration BEFORE the ban took place...

I hope you never return to or listen to that dealer...

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Yeah Mike, I'd stay away from that guy, he dosen't care if he gets you into jail, just to sell ya something.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Now lets be realistic. If you put a folding stock on a POST-ban rifle, thus making it an assault weapon, and get caught with it:
Will you really go to jail? The way our court system works and the BS some people in this country get away with, I think it would be more of a slap on the wrist, bad boy, don't do it again (and by the way, thanks for the rifle!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
maybe so...maybe not...but if caught maybe one can tell the cops that the afore-mentioned dealer said it was okay to do it...maybe they'll throw HIS stupid ass in jail!!

on a serious note I have yet to hear of anyone prosecuted or imprisoned for something like that, although I've heard of MANY cases of people going to jail for violations related to machine guns...I guess if the authorities want your ass they'll make a case stick, period. I for one wouldn't take a chance. But best bet is to claim ignorance, if caught, and not start complaining about how stupid the laws are!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
True, I wouldn't want to land in jail on a technicality. Certainly wouldn't want to test 'em.

But most of the people who would be caught in an act with such a weapon, illegally (and knowing it), are already criminals to begin with... Or in the act of committing a crime. Such is their folly.

Note: I'm not saying that you are a felon in my mind if you own such a weapon, but you certainly are if you're using one to commit a crime.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I was pretty sure that the dealer was misinformed when I talked to him. Based on the general concensus on the BB. I am glad I played it safe and went with a non-folding stock. It does look like a folding stock but doesn't fold. I try to not transport it anywhere in that configuration. I live in a small town with police who have a reputation of harrassment. If I am going hog hunting, I will change to the other stock when I get to where I am going, just to avoid any potential hassle. I do prefer the pistol grip stock in certain instances.
Thanks,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh, Cajungeo,
In response to your thread on the dealer misinforming me in order to sell me something. This is what baffled me. He told me that as I was buying a Pre-Ban.??? Who knows. I think he just might be a bit confused.
And I got the preban for $400.00. Good price?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Satan you bring up an important point. If you read the whole statute you see that the gov. is very specific on additional penalties for crimes commited with "banned" weapons. To give them credit it certainly gives the impression that a major reason for enacting the law was to add additional penalties to criminal scumbags...maybe that would explain the (apparent) lack of prosecutions of "non-criminals" who violated the law. I agree with you, I don't think the authorities would make a big deal about someone who put on a folder on a post-ban (as long as it was a genuine mistake, and the appropriate act of contrition is made- "I'm soooo sorry, it won't happen again"). I think the real target for this law was indeed hardened, career criminals. Too bad law-abiding citizens were caught in the middle.

Mike, $400 for a pre-ban is decent, maybe $50-$75 under average (as long as it is on good shape!).

P.

"There is a difference between knowledge and wisdom: it's one thing to know how to speak several languages, it's another to know when to keep your mouth shut. "

1 - 10 of 10 Posts