Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new Mini-14 Tactical, and hate the sights. I hate the rear peep. I find peep sights have way too much margin for error if the peep is large...or way too vision restricting if the peep is smaller. I had a Bushnell banner 3-9x40 scope on it, but I didn't like the lack of quick target acquisition for close shots. I haven't found any scope mounts for the Ruger that allow you to still use the stock sights. Then, I went cheap and tried an NCStar reflex scope and loved it at first, but quickly got frustrated with how it constantly went out of zero by LARGE margins. You get what you pay for I guess! What do you guys use for sights?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Try tech sights, I believe they are fit with different size apertures. Maybe invest in a decent scope, and some Warne QD rings so you can switch hit.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Burris XTS-135 on an Ultimak scout rail. A little nose heavy, but that can be a good thing for quick follow up shots. It's quick to bring to bear, and I can put 10/10 on a 5" ring at 100 yrds...which is as good as it gets when you have a 5moa dot. I do wish it was a smaller dot, but the setup is excellent regardless.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Try tech sights, I believe they are fit with different size apertures. Maybe invest in a decent scope, and some Warne QD rings so you can switch hit.
Not to hi-jack the thread but does anyone know where Warne Mini 14 scope rings are available? I have been looking all over and cannot find one online store that has them in stock. :unsure:

To original poster, sounds like you should invest in a quality red dot or a 1-4x scope. Like many others here I have played a game of musical optics with my Mini 14. First I got a 3-9 Simmons scope, then I put a EoTech 512 on it, then a Aimpoint 9000sc, and now I am finally settled on a Burris Tac-30 1-4x scope. The Burris Tac-30 is an outstanding scope, you can go from short range to long range very fast, illuminated reticle, very clear very nice optic for the price! Pics and review of the Burris coming soon.

Burris Fullfield TAC30 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm Illuminated Ballistic CQ Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to hi-jack the thread but does anyone know where Warne Mini 14 scope rings are available? I have been looking all over and cannot find one online store that has them in stock. :unsure:

To original poster, sounds like you should invest in a quality red dot or a 1-4x scope. Like many others here I have played a game of musical optics with my Mini 14. First I got a 3-9 Simmons scope, then I put a EoTech 512 on it, then a Aimpoint 9000sc, and now I am finally settled on a Burris Tac-30 1-4x scope. The Burris Tac-30 is an outstanding scope, you can go from short range to long range very fast, illuminated reticle, very clear very nice optic for the price! Pics and review of the Burris coming soon.

Burris Fullfield TAC30 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm Illuminated Ballistic CQ Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA
You still have that EOtech? Wanna sell it?!

·
Registered
238 Posts
You still have that EOtech? Wanna sell it?!
I like EOtechs, but the mounting options for the Mini 14 are weak. I can't stand the look of the rails over the action, and they cannot be removed, put back on and retain zero or even close to zero. Unacceptable to me.

If you want a red dot, and want the best go with a Aimpoint 9000 SC, mounts the the Ruger receiver using standard factory 30mm rings. Works great no complaints but I decided I wanted some magnification. I have it on my tactical 10/22 now its real sweet on that gun. If I ever get into 3 gun, it'll go back on my Mini.

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am looking for the medium 30mm ones(14RLM). I have some on backorder on opticsplanet.com but who knows when they will get them in stock again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Burris XTS-135 on an Ultimak scout rail. A little nose heavy, but that can be a good thing for quick follow up shots. It's quick to bring to bear, and I can put 10/10 on a 5" ring at 100 yrds...which is as good as it gets when you have a 5moa dot. I do wish it was a smaller dot, but the setup is excellent regardless.

Are you able to shoot this scope with both eyes open? Or is designed to be used as a traditional scope, with one eye closed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts