Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here and may pick up a mini 14 tomorrow on a trade.

What should I look for when getting this? The gentleman said he bought it around 2000, its a brown stock and its stainless. He has the original 30 rounder in plastic and has the box. He claims to have about 30 rounds through it.

Any thoughts? If I get it I will be an avid poster here.

Thank you

·
Registered
137 Posts
How much?

I'd get one of the newer Minis if I were you, with the tapered barrels. NRA/Tactical are probably the best options, but any of the 580 series are good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey, I appreciate the quick replies. I am trading an old four wheeler in my garage for it, I haven't used it. Valve on the four wheeler is around $5-600. I believe the series to be a 183. The number the guy got off it for me is 0183X. Good or bad?

Thanks again

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think if the four wheeler is worth $500 that's a pretty fair trade. Again, what i would do is sell it for $500, and then put in the extra $200 to get a NRA or Tactical.

Or, you can get the $500 or so 183, have the barrel shortened, put a strut on it, which would probably cost you around $175 extra. Or just leave it as it is, many people think the old minis were fine the way they were.

Though, by the way, I'm pretty sure if it were a 183 series Mini, the number would have been 183-xxxxx, not 0183x.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I picked up a 183 series Ranch model (Blue,wood stock) in excellent shape for $500 at my local gunshop. Not sure if it was a good deal but I was desparate for a Mini.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Not a bad deal in todays market, fire some round thru and you may be surprised on how well it shoots. If its not that great there are plenty of tips here to make it a good shooter!;)

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
They are rugged and dependable just like any other Mini. The early ones were either dead on accurate or wouldn't/couldn't hit the side of a barn. If it's the second one, my guess is an Accu Strut will fix that. kwg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys, true to my word, here it is.

195 Series, mint, not a scratch on the stock, guy said he put about 30 rounds through it, bore looks mint. Came with 2 ruger mags, and 3 aftermarket. Not sure on the aftermarkets, might be junk, one in an unopened precision mag. Also came with 200 rounds of russian non corrosive fmj. Also came with a hard case.

Thoughts?

Pictures:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sweet! It's seems to be as-NEW, a SS comes with scope, ammo and extra mag... no tax no shipping no FFL fee... It's a winner!

Wish someone would offer me a gun like this for my utility trailer :D

BTW, what scope is that?

Congrat!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The scope is nothing fancy, 3x9x40 tasco, can't find a model number but it seems to be one of their mid prices ones, has a purplish coating on the lens, double cross hairs, and no tool elevation adjustment.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Congratulations. A fine looking gun,. As this is your first Mini, you might want to look into getting some additional factory mags which are usually available on Ruger's website, at least for now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice Mini you've got there! Let us know how it shoots. If you find that the accuracy is not up to your standards, you could look into installing an Accu-strut or something similar. Not only will it tighten your groups, but it will make the rifle look cooler too.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
Well guys, true to my word, here it is.

195 Series, mint, not a scratch on the stock, guy said he put about 30 rounds through it, bore looks mint. Came with 2 ruger mags, and 3 aftermarket. Not sure on the aftermarkets, might be junk, one in an unopened precision mag. Also came with 200 rounds of russian non corrosive fmj. Also came with a hard case.

Thoughts?

You done good! I think, that wasn't an old Honda 4 Trax in running condition was it? They go for about double that price around here.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Very nice!;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts