Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,
Just got my mini delivered by a pal tonight. He got first pick of the two of them and found that the one that he took shot a bit tighter, but not much to chose between them. Both SS with the Polymer stock, built in late 2003 and little used. (Police dept. rifles)

They have the 18 1/2" barrel and currently mine has a 3 to 9 Simmons that I had kicking around. Cheap but a pretty nice little glass. Duplex reticle, brushed aluminum tube...neat while it lasts.

The both guns averaged 3 1/2" to 5" groups at 100 yds and were printing 1 1/2" at 50 yds.

The plan is to AccraGlas Bed them, I'm putting an Accra-Strut on mine and both of them are getting Mo-Reaper front sight/flash hiders. Triggers will get done and something has to be done about the 18 paces of ejection power as I'm getting too old to chase brass that far.

What should I do, that I'm not already doing. Unfortunately, in Canada, cutting the barrel below 18 1/2" makes is Restricted with all of the bs that Restricted Firearms bring with them. I had thought of reducing the barrel length to 16 1/2" for accuracy's sake but that's out.

Anything that I'm doing (and I'm brand new to Mini's) that I should do differently or not at all?

Thanks folks, I get to shoot mine tomorrow. Can't wait.

Pat

· Registered
1,117 Posts
A shock buffer will calm down the ejection and help save the scope. If you really want results, get a smaller gas bushing.

· Registered
663 Posts
Smaller gas bushings will help tremendously with the ejection pattern. Check out Welcome to Great West Gunsmithing, GunDoc will hook you up with them. I swapped my 0.100'' gas bushing out for the 0.048'' and it shortened the ejection down to roughly 10-12 feet. I also put a Wilson combat 1911 buffer (blue) on the rear of the op-rod. I can't say how much that changed the distance, but it did change the angle of ejection slightly. Both were relatively low cost modifications and my rifle is still 100% reliable with both steel and brass.

· Registered
5,429 Posts
With a pencil barrel...

Sorry to hear you have ruled out bobbing the barrel because you will not be happy with the performance until you do. I have a 190 series stainless ranch and the process of cutting to 16.25", crowning and installing a flash hider transformed mine. Does a permanent flash hider count as barrel length up north?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know now, no, adding a permanent flash hider does not pass the smell test. I'll check further on that.

I've got the shock buffs on order and will check out the replacement of the gas bushing.

Will let you guys know how the upgrading is progressing.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from the range and found that at 25 yards the average was 3 in a ragged hole, One 1/2" away and one that opened it up to 1 1/4". At 100 yds it was averaging 2 1/2" to 3" (without counting the occasional flier that would open it up to 5 - 7 inches. Best 5 shot group at 100 yds. was 1 1/2". All shooting from the bench with Federal American Eagle ammo. I have a Simmons 3-9 (Really cheap little scope that I used to have on my 10/22) Top vertical and horizontal reticles were in one piece with the bottom vertical standing alone, abit out of line with the upper section. Used the lower vertical to shoot the 1 1/2" group at 100.

I'm happy that it did that well and know that it will get better.

· Registered
727 Posts
I have a 196 mini 14 and 30 and BOTH will shoot under 2 inches all day with factory loads. I glass bed them, had a trigger job done and made sure the gap in the gas port block thing were equal. I do have a 1911 buffer in the rear and that's it. Oops, I do have the short Choate 3 prong front sight on both also. Enjoy the heck out of it Patsplace, you don't need to do anything else to it.
Just remembered I do have an Ultimak Rail on the 14.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two inches is something that I can live with but one inch is my objective. I think, from what has been shared on this site, that glass bedding takes care of the flyers and the habit of the gun printing two separate groups, about 2" apart.

Sure is fun to shoot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.