Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some things to while we are waiting on more ammo.

1. Practice with your BB Gun or Pellet Gun. I am enjoying my Daisy Model 25 pump. Keeping my shooting eye in shape at short range on my deck shooting at quarter size paste on targets. My BB trap is a Xerox paper box. Lots of fun.
2. If you must shoot rimfire or center fire, try only a few rounds. Practice your trigger pull, sight picture, breathing, etc.. Pretend you are in a tough situation and must conserve ammo making every shot count. One round hitting its target is all it takes. None of us can afford to lay down "enfilade fire"
3. Pull your firearms out of the safe(do not call them guns/we know what is for shooting and what is for fun) and clean them. Study your manuals and become familiar with field stripping procedures.
4. Box, inventory and label your ammo supply.
5. Review your other survival plans. Do you have food and elements of a plan in case of an emergency. I live on the gulf coast and am putting together a better hurricane plan and supplies.
6. Try networking with your nieghbors and friends who are like minded
7. Watch a few old John Wayne movies.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Reload like crazy--lol. Working on 1,000 223 cases right now. Slipping in some batches of 40s also. Picking up 100 357 cases this afternoon by trading some raw lead. Just put 300 9s and 200 380s into boxes. Have several hundred 45s in various stages of prepping. If you are not a reloader you might consider beginning---if you can find components.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Fling some arrows

I have been shooting my recurve bow a lot more. I went out and got a couple of 3D targets and set them out on my property shooting from all different angles give me lots of opportunities to lose some arrows:lol:. At least I can buy some of those!

Reactions: Texan

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Supposedly, my .22 rifle and hand gun were for this except I'm having to shoot my .22 sparingly since it is virtually impossible to find. My rifle is fairly particular about what ammo it likes.

I go over and shoot 20 rounds with 3 or 4 different weapons of different calibers to get my shooting fix.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grumpy:

I have my own CD of "They Were Expendable". It is one of my favorite movies and directed by John Ford to boot. Also, I like "Back to Bataan". I also like the "Cavalry Trilogy" which was "Rio Grande', "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" and "Fort Apache". Another is the "Searchers". Getting away from John Wayne i also like "A Guy Named Joe", "30 Seconds over Tokyo", "A Wing and A Prayer" and finally "A Day In the Sun". As you might discern, i have no use for most of current Hollywood.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Grumpy:

I have my own CD of "They Were Expendable". It is one of my favorite movies and directed by John Ford to boot. Also, I like "Back to Bataan". I also like the "Cavalry Trilogy" which was "Rio Grande', "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" and "Fort Apache". Another is the "Searchers". Getting away from John Wayne i also like "A Guy Named Joe", "30 Seconds over Tokyo", "A Wing and A Prayer" and finally "A Day In the Sun". As you might discern, i have no use for most of current Hollywood.
Good films all, Old Navy.

Yep, "They Were Expendable" is one of my all time favorites too. To that list of films to watch while I'm waiting for ammo, I'll add "The Steel Helmet", "Fixed Bayonets", and another one of my all time favorites "The Big Red One". Lee Marvin is awesome in that film!

Not hard to despise Hollywood's creations these days when the people who work on them are generally pretty despicable - limo liberals who are armed to the teeth but would deny us the same security. Worse, so many of 'em make films that glorify violence then blame the guns when they're misused.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
101 Posts
For those that are looking for good flicks, I'd suggest checking out the Internet Movie Firearms Database, a site similar to IMDB, but instead of actors, it lists firearms and the movies, TV shows and even video games in which they appear.

Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

For example, here is the page for the Mini-14, Mini-30 and AC556. It lists all the shows and movies in which the Mini and its variants appear. I even found some video games that let you use the Minis in game. Enjoy.

Ruger Mini-14 - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games

·
Registered
101 Posts
Of those old flicks, I've always like Bridge over the River Kwai, The Big Red One, The Great Escape, The Guns of Navarrone, A Bridge Too Far and those of that nature. I remember watching them on TV with my old man when I was a little guy. Good stuff.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Screw it all ! I just go fishing. Things look a whole lot better with a cold beer in hand and a big ol stringer of fish. TV sucks compaired to having a 5 Lb bass on the line. Lots of other things to do this time of year too. Like taking my wife to a nice seculded spot in the woods for a little "target practice". I have plenty of ammo for that.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Of those old flicks, I've always like Bridge over the River Kwai, The Big Red One, The Great Escape, The Guns of Navarrone, A Bridge Too Far and those of that nature. I remember watching them on TV with my old man when I was a little guy. Good stuff.
If you liked "The Big Red One" you have to see "The Steel Helmet" and "Fixed Bayonets" some time. They're all by the same director (Sam Fuller) and all are gritty films that pack a punch.

"A Bridge Too Far" is one that I usually bookend with "The Longest Day" - both are epic films with a lot of the big names in 'em.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Exaclty

Screw it all ! I just go fishing. Things look a whole lot better with a cold beer in hand and a big ol stringer of fish. TV sucks compaired to having a 5 Lb bass on the line. Lots of other things to do this time of year too. Like taking my wife to a nice seculded spot in the woods for a little "target practice". I have plenty of ammo for that.
I went halibut fishing for the first time last weekend in the Puget Sound with my son in law. I left the world behind for 3 whole days! And we tagged a couple to boot. Gave me a reason to pull out the Gentleman Jack!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Some things to while we are waiting on more ammo.

1. Practice with your BB Gun or Pellet Gun. I am enjoying my Daisy Model 25 pump. Keeping my shooting eye in shape at short range on my deck shooting at quarter size paste on targets. My BB trap is a Xerox paper box. Lots of fun.
2. If you must shoot rimfire or center fire, try only a few rounds. Practice your trigger pull, sight picture, breathing, etc.. Pretend you are in a tough situation and must conserve ammo making every shot count. One round hitting its target is all it takes. None of us can afford to lay down "enfilade fire"
3. Pull your firearms out of the safe(do not call them guns/we know what is for shooting and what is for fun) and clean them. Study your manuals and become familiar with field stripping procedures.
4. Box, inventory and label your ammo supply.
5. Review your other survival plans. Do you have food and elements of a plan in case of an emergency. I live on the gulf coast and am putting together a better hurricane plan and supplies.
6. Try networking with your nieghbors and friends who are like minded
7. Watch a few old John Wayne movies.
Ammo is inventoried, I had 16,000 rounds of 22 before the crunch, down to 14,000 but will keep shooting and get whenever and wherever I can. I have all the old john Wayne movies going back to the old 3 reelers.

Love my Gamo rifle and Crossman pistol but sometimes you just gotta shoot the real thing. Between rain storms I used up some of my 41 mag reloads.

I think I might be getting a little old for one handed shooting, especially double action but it was still fun.

Just received my order of (600) 240 gr SJHP 44 mag bullets this afternoon, time to fill some empty brass. Now excuse me, I have lemonade to make...:D

Reactions: passtime
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.