Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the woods but don't like heat or bugs. As a matter of fact, I love the winter and spend lots of time outdoors once the temp drops below 20. Anyway, its warming up here in Missouri but Sunday was around 40 degrees. Not only that, we had strong winds pushing the temp lower plus rain. I figured I had better get out while I had one more chance...before the dreaded heat and bugs. I headed for the woods, a state park, and even got caught in a hail storm. That was interesting since my jacket was a $5 dollar unlined Mossy Oak Wal Mart special plastic jacket. As usual, I left the trail. I messed around with some old cut up trees. Felt something itching my neck but couldn't find it. By Monday Morning I had 7 large and nasty bumps on one knee and man did they burn! My whole knee turned red and hot to the touch. Little centers of Pus? formed in the bumps. Then my leg started to swell and hurt. I'm wondering what the heck does that? I've been stung by most everything that stings, bit by mosquitos and all that, and didn't see any bugs Sunday so I have no idea what crawled up my trouser leg in that rain storm. Can't walk so well today so I'm headin for the doctor. My wife found a tick in my back, tiny one, on Tuesday. Sicker than a dog since then. I feel like I have the flu. The doctor will give me a shot or something but I am curious to know if anyone has any idea what kind of critter did this to me..not the tick. I figured that out by myself. But these big red screaming with burning pain lumps? I want to know so I can hunt down these creatures and kill every last one of the......

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, My wife made me go to the doctor yesterday. By then my knee was swollen up so huge I couldn't bend it and red streaks were running up my thigh. The doctor said it looked more like "shingles" either that, or a whole nest of spiders bit me. Being that I was out in the woods, and standing on old logs, I go with spiders. I talked them out of sending me to the hospital and they gave me a ton of medicines. I love the outdoors but this has definitely altered my perspective about leaving trails and so forth in Missouri. I have lived here ten years and been stung and bit by more critters in that time than in my entire life.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You know there are things you can do to really cut down on this, and would have prevented this incident.

First, obviously, look where you sit or stand; my wife's family is from northern Michigan and they took a long time to realize that the plants and animals here are a little more "potent" than up north. Down in the South they would really have trouble, and in the tropics they would certainly die!

Secondly, use repellant if possible.

Wear a hat; you really should from the sun anyway; but it helps with critters.

Blouse or tie off you trouser cuffs; keeps creepies from crawlin' in.

Rotting wood, especially around deadfalls, is literally crawling with bugs, and the animals (spiders, etc) that eat them.

It sounds like spider bites, but since it was located under your pants it may well be that you knelt in a batch of poison oak or ivy, nettles, or in a ant nest and got bit through your pants leg.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Larry

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in Virginia and last year I was bit by one spider on the back of my neck. I had a similar reaction. Many small pustules that I dug at for a few days until I told my wife about it. She put some onitment on it and eventually it went away. She used a steroid cream and a triple antibiotic ointment. She has been a nurse for 25 years and usually can nail stuff like that pretty well since every bug in the county finds her when the temperature here gets over 40 degrees. Hope your feeling better, but if you start to grow an extra 6 legs, better go back to the doctor!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the post. Actually, I usually do take precautions. Normally I am caked in bug repellent even to cut the grass. On my property I hunt down and destroy the nest of anything that stings. What happened on this day was that the temp was 40 F, the wind chill was 32 F, and, I even got caught in one big hail storm. I figured, since there were no people or critters out in this cold and storm, no bugs either. Guess I figured wrong.

Anyway, no one who saw my leg has any idea what bit or stung me. The doctor said my leg was a mess and it wasn't a spider but definitely poisonous

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your concern and help. The reason I posted this was to try and find out what it was so that it didn't happen again. The last time I got attacked in these woods was because I was using natures outdoor bathroom and unknowingly (the front door was hidden by leaves) standing on some kind of hornet apartemtn. They stung the you know what out of me.

On this occasion I walked but never knelt or actually sat down. I had moved off the trail. I did pick up one piece of log and roll two others with my boot. I had on "brush pants" they were soaked to the bone, but not bloused. I never felt a thing. My leg swelled up so bad I could hardly walk. The skin around the pus was orange, red, and then purple. It was so tight when you pushed on it stuff oozed out. And, my leg felt like it was burning up. I also ended up with red streaks and pain to my groin. The doc said I had blood poisoning and a raging infection and wanted to put me in the hospital. Instead, I talked her into some meds and in three days the swelling and pain were gone! So I'm feeling much better. As much as I love the woods, I have to rethink leaving the trails other than in the winter. The doc didn't think the holes (eight of them) were from spiders unless an entire nest of poison nasties got me (brown recluse?). I never felt a thing.

G

·
Not trying to change the forum but over on Family, Friends and Firearms, there are similar forums to check out this kind of info. This sounds really serious and curious. I wonder if there is a medical / health forum somewhere to post on. I wonder if your doctor took blood and sent it off to be tested? Sounds serious enough to have done that. Wonder if there was any strange chemicals, pesticides you have recently been in? Keep us posted.
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts