Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best, reasonably priced, sight for my mini 30. Right now I have a 3 x 9 scope on it. In some recent 25, 50 and 100 yard shooting drills it has proven to be less than effective at a bit faster rate of fire. I do need optics out past 50 yards because my eye sight is bad.

The 3 x 9 gets me out to 150 or 200 yard with no problem but is that even really practical for this sort of a gun? I really want to put that scope back on my .22 rifle anyway as it is mostly a bench shooter.

I know, it depends on what the gun would ultimately be used for. I already have a "medium to long range" 30.06 rifle depending on your definition of medium to long range so I believe that I have that covered. Unfortunately, no one gun handles all situations I suppose.

Keeping in mind that a Trijicon or Eotech would probably be beyond my budget what do you all use and are lasers or lights practical?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run a bushnell 3-9 on my mini 30. I've heard alot of good about tech-sights replacment rear iron, but I don't know that it'll help with "bad" eye sight. Some sort of reflex or red dot may be easier for target acquisiton, but you'd have to add a magnifier if you have trouble seeing at a distance, and i'm not sure how you could mount both on the mini...

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
200 yds is what I consider the outer edge for reliable shots on large whitetail w/my M30. I have a 2x7 burris mounted, and past 150yds only a standing profile shot would I take.
your eyesight problem may limit your range particular in bad weather or dusk/dawn.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Weaver 1-3x, about $150. The 3x is plenty for pigs and deer out to 100 yd, which I consider the practical / humane max hunting range for my Mini-Thirty. The 1x is as fast or faster than irons for the up close shots.
A fixed 2.5x shotgun scope would also fill the bill nicely. These are typically parallax-corrected at 75 yd (instead of the usual 100 yd), which is ideal for the 7.62x39's envelope.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think what I need is a 6x magnification red dot. Unfortunately, the only ones of those I can find are expensive.

Spectre DR 1.5 to 6x red dot. Oh my. Only about 2500 bucks, err, have to pass. It is a sweet looking piece of equipment though.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This is what I have: Vortex Optics - Diamondback 1.75-5x32 Dead-Hold BDC
I paid 170 for mine.
Works great on the 30 tact. Warne QD rings hold zero.. Easy back and forth scope to irons.
I zero at 25/200 yards. Puts me ten clicks for 100. Each mil dot is 250, 275, 300 yards..

The weight and length is great for this carbine, its a good fit (for the price)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Nikon 1-4x20mm Monarch with African rectical. About $300. 1" tube. At 1x it is very fast.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my 3 x 9 is a truglo with a bullet drop reticle. It works great at distance and has a decent field of vision.

I looked at some slide to side of flip over magnifiers with red dots but they limit the field of vision too much.

That really expensie 6x red dot I mentioned has a 1.5 setting for ranging and scoping. You can then flip instantly to 6x to take the shots. 2 grand is a bit much though, too much for my budget.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts