Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of either buying a Mini 14 or an AR-15 but havent made up my mind which is why I joined here. But I just heard something about a possible reintroduction of the assault weapons ban from the 1990's and I guessed it might be a good idea to stock up now and I know that AR magazines fit other guns, but I dont know which ones it fits. If it does fit other guns it would be a good idea to buy a reasonable quantity of them because they can be used in more than just one gun. That way I can make my decision about which guns to buy in the future based partly on which magazines I already own that will fit them.

While I am here what after market AR-15 magazines that arent very expensive are known to work well and hold up well and last a long time with no FTF or FTE problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a Mossberg Bolt action rifle that they built around AR mags in .223. Also I believe the Keltec SU-16 line uses AR mags.

·
Registered
437 Posts
There's no quandary choosing between the Mini and the AR based on magazine availability: go AR.
BTW, basing your choice on mag availability is wise, IMO: a semiauto rifle without reliable magazines is a heavy, expensive single-shot.

The AR-15/M-16 has been standard issue for 50 years, with literally millions (tens of millions?) of mags in circulation. The AR magazine is STANAG for NATO countries. Here's a list of firearms that take STANAG (aka AR) magazines:
STANAG magazine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As to good mags, LaBelle/D&H, Magpul, C-Products, NHMTG (and of course Colt) are milspec, high-quality mags. Do not waste any money on USA brand mags, Triple K, or other no-name mags. USGI milspec mags are just as cheap and infinitely more reliable.

As to where to get mags, 44Mag, AIM, and CDNN typically have good prices. Expect prices to go up and availability to plummet rapidly in the next few weeks. Start hoarding now.

·
Registered
852 Posts
As Dremer03 said, Kel-tec SU-16 and Mossberg MVP Predator rifles (the only bolt action so far to do this). There is also the FN Scar, FN F2000, modified .223 Saiga, Sig 556, Bushmaster ACR, Robinson Arms XCR, Benelli MR1. That's all that I came up with that a civilian can own that is in production.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to Aim Surplus to look at their stuff like someone mentioned and they had the Magpul polymer magazines for AR 15 But they are backordered on almost everything! So I went to USA Midway and looked at their magazines and ordered 2 of the 30 round Magpul Pmag magazines for $12 and change. I also saw another brand called AR Stoner. They are around $14 for a black coated stainless steel 30 round magazine and are advertised to be Milspec. Are they any good?

·
Registered
852 Posts
AR Stoner is Midway's brand. They are decent quality. I suspect they are made by ASC magazines since they have "CP" printed on the followers of my mags. ASC purchased CP machines and stuff when CP went under, so that is my assumption. Never an issue with them, but in my 7.62x39 5-rounders, that 5th round is a pain to get in. All the other mags work great though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi-Cap magazines for AR: Do you prefer 20rd,30rd or 40rd?

I'm looking over at 44Mag.com right now

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)Another rifle that they fit is the remington pump 223-I wish that I could afford one right now!:eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up buying 2 mags from 44mag as well as 2 from Midway. A Magpul 30rd polymer and a CP steel 20rd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts