Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a ultimak scout rail for my 580. trying to figure out what i should put on her. scope or red dot, brands, personal preference, just throw in your 2cents. also, does anything cowhitness?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Mine will eventually have an Aimpoint 9000SC. Today it's empty though waiting for me to decide if I have enough will (and ammo budget) and eyes to become proficient with irons.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've got a leatherwood/hi-lux 2-7x32mm LER Scope on another rifle and I am blown away with how clear it is for the price.

Yesterday I ran into someone at the gun range that had it on their M1A scout squad and it was taking the recoil without an issue. That would be the way I would go. On 2x you can keep both eyes open, and 7x lets you get out there.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Simmons ProHunter 2-6x32 pistol scope. Same benefits as Pet-Rock mentions above, just with more eye relief... ;)

Keep in mind, the majority of pistol scopes were intended for use on "hunting" revolvers, typically in the .41-.500 (usually magnum) calibers. They'll hold up to the BOOM-Bang-Clang of a Mini for decades.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The long eye relief optical scope is intriguing. The Simmons ProHunter 2-6x32 has 20 inches of eye relief. That's a ton. I have no experience with LER scopes. Are there any consequences to mounting a scope with 20" eye relief at only 10" or 6" from one's eye?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tried:
  • a Leupold variable pistol scope - too heavy & too much eye relief required -
  • a Weaver 4 x 28 Classic K Scout scope. the Weaver works pretty well, but its a little slow to throw up to your shoulder and get a fast check weld/sight picture. I use it on my 10/22 scout now.

I've settled on the Leupold FX II 2.5 x 28 Scout as the best solution for me. Costs more, but its light, very bright and fast to acquire a sight picture.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
The long eye relief optical scope is intriguing. The Simmons ProHunter 2-6x32 has 20 inches of eye relief. That's a ton. I have no experience with LER scopes. Are there any consequences to mounting a scope with 20" eye relief at only 10" or 6" from one's eye?
That's the issue. The mount I'm using (Ranch Products) requires LONG eye relief, as it centers the scope over the gas block.

I can tell you from experience that 20" is probably the minimum eye relief for that scope, as any closer and you get what I call "fish eye" like any other scope.

Suffice it to say, if you've got the right mount and don't mind your optic being that far out there, handgun scopes are the way to go, as they're much more compact and generally lighter than IER/LER/"Scout" rifle scopes.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I can tell you from experience that 20" is probably the minimum eye relief for that scope, as any closer and you get what I call "fish eye" like any other scope.
When your eye gets too far from a traditional scope, the image shrinks to something less than the diameter of the rear element making the image unusable. Is that the same effect that occurs when your eye gets too close to an extended eye relief scope?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
When your eye gets too far from a traditional scope, the image shrinks to something less than the diameter of the rear element making the image unusable. Is that the same effect that occurs when your eye gets too close to an extended eye relief scope?
That's pretty much it. I can try and snap a couple pics tonight if it helps...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I had a Leopold handgun scope on my gunsite scout for a while, needless to say, ill never try that again. I'm superbly intrigued by the hilux, cheap price and the option to zoom into 7x. I really wish trijicon would make a damn scout scope! I would gladly spend more than a new mini for one.

I'm really surprised more ppl didnt use a non magnified optic like a red dot. It looks like my mini's needs a doc's $450 treatment and a highlux or Leopold scope.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'll get some pics up through the scope tomoro for you.

Its really impressed me, I picked it up while Midway was having a sale on them for $100.
I wouldn't hesitate to put it on a Mini if it holds up to all the guys that have it on a M1A, and high caliber levers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Went with a Tru-glo reflex sight on my mini 30. You can opt for red dot, cross hair, circle dot, or circle dot inside the cross hair. Red or green. Works well with my middle age eyes to 200 hundred yards . Less than $100. No cowitness with my Amega mount.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is there a buis that i could mount to the front of the rail? im really thinking about the barrel work i want done and it would be easier if i didnt have to throw a sight on the barrel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
just bought a ultimak scout rail for my 580. trying to figure out what i should put on her. scope or red dot, brands, personal preference, just throw in your 2cents. also, does anything cowhitness?
Mine currently wears an old Redfield 2.5X FrontIER scope, 3/4" tube. Nice, light, well-balanced package. Only thing I don't like is that the scope adjustments are 1" per click at 100 yds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.