Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone;

I have fed my 10/22 a diet of CCI Minimag and Stinger, pretty exclusively when going for accuracy, and Federal bulk packs when plinking. And occasionally the Remington .22 subsonics when going for "quiet" practice. They work fine and I have stuck to 'em like glue.

Now, enter the brave new world of ammo scarcity and I find myself prepared to buy any .22LR that I can find. Yes, I have a revolver that can digest anything (obviously) but would like a list of ammo to consider or avoid in the 10/22.

For example, in the last two days I lucked out and was able to buy 2x boxes of Remington Vipers. But they have a truncated cone. Should I consider using them in my 10/22, or keep 'em as revolver fodder? In the last two months I have only been able to buy one single box of CCI minimag.

So, your experiences everyone? What brands are usable and what should be avoided in the 10/22?

All the best,
Grumpy

· Registered
232 Posts
In my 10-22, I faithfully use CCI Mini Mags Standard velocity. Remington has the worst reputation in the 22lr. Idon't knowof any other "bad" brand.

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the Remington vipers will shoot just fine. use to use them YEARS ago for hunting rounds... never a hiccup... :)
as long as the ammo FEEDS you are good to go in a 10/22... they really will shoot just about ANYTHING!
Thanks Indyarms, I feel better about buying those 2x boxes now, and if I see any more I won't hesitate!

All the best,
Grumpy

· Registered
345 Posts
My 10/22's handle Remington Golds just fine and any other plated bullet. Neither of them like heavily waxed lead bullets or truncated bullets.

· Registered
284 Posts
My two full sized 10-22's have worked with everything that I have shot through them so far: American Eagle, CCI Blazer, Winchester Bulk, Federal bulk (brown and blue box), Federal Auto Match, CCI Mini Mags, Federal Lightnings, Remington Golden, and even Remington Thunderbolts. I have a few boxes of Fiochi but haven't tried them yet. A couple of youth model 10-22's haven't been near as reliable with much of anything.

· communism hater
3,917 Posts
I like anything CCI. I keep plenty of mini mags, stingers, velocitors on hand. My Ruger loves them. I also shoot Federal 510 which is a 40gr lead bullet and American Eagle which is the same thing. I bought some of the remington viper stuff a few weeks back but havent shot it yet. Its a little more expensive than bulk remington so Im hoping its a little better quality.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Hmmm. After my dad and I both buying a new 10/22's last year, I went to see his new one. It was nice. Walnut Stock and special order. We went out back to shoot and he showed me his stash of .22 bricks. He has the mother load. I grabbed a couple bricks of 80's vintage Federal. Boy did they shoot nice in every .22 I had. Beat the heck out of the Remington, Wolf Match, and Winchester. But I have to say all shot well, but that old Federal shot the best.

· Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,274 Posts
With the stock 10 round mag, my 1022 will digest anything I feed it.

The 25, 30 and 50 round magazines from various places, not so mucy.

The new BX25's from Ruger have worked well with Federal, but not as well with anything truncated period. (I find my Ciner conversion for a pistol I have is picky about this truncated round too.)

If I can pick/choose, I will buy the Federal bulk packs all day long.

They shoot well, don't get too dirty and were under $20.00 at WalMart up until our new God was re-elected, and gun control became a reality again.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

· Registered
367 Posts
When you have liitle or no choice then I guess you shoot what you got.
But given the luxury of a choice I avoid anything Remington. I find them dirty and inconsistent. All Feds do well in mine though the pre ATK stuff performs better. Fed Auto Match is excellent in both my target 1022's and stockers.
The only inaccurate Feds were those Spitfires of yesteryear.
Winchester is very good including Blazers and Dynapoints
CCI's are excellent.
My plinker of choice because of it's "one time" price is Fed Bulk
1022's are fairly forgiving when it comes to ammo provided your Mag is tensioned properly and regular cleaning is performed.
Not that long ago, Fed Bulks were $8.96/550ct:eek:
Those were the days my friend....we thought they'd never end....but they did!:(

· Registered
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you have liitle or no choice then I guess you shoot what you got.
But given the luxury of a choice I avoid anything Remington. I find them dirty and inconsistent. All Feds do well in mine though the pre ATK stuff performs better. Fed Auto Match is excellent in both my target 1022's and stockers.
The only inaccurate Feds were those Spitfires of yesteryear.
Winchester is very good including Blazers and Dynapoints
CCI's are excellent.
My plinker of choice because of it's "on time" price is Fed Bulk
1022's are fairly forgiving when it comes to ammo provided your Mag is tensioned properly and regular cleaning is performed.
Not that long ago, Fed Bulks were $8.96/550ct:eek:
Those were the days my friend....we thought they'd never end....but they did!:(
Thanks for the particularly detailed answer, Yoteman!

You're right, I will buy what I can get as of now, but its still good to have knowledge. As an example, the only time since mid December that I had a choice on .22's was between cyclones and yellow jackets. I had used yellow jackets maybe 20 years back and vaguely remembered that they worked okay in the nylon 66 I was using then - but they didn't feed right out of the 50 banger from Ramline that I was using back then in my 10/22. I chose the vipers, because of previous experience, but haven't been able to buy enough new ammo to justify a range session to try 'em out....

You're right on the prices too - yep, they will go back down a ways, but never down to where they were before the elections. And the days of <$10 for a brick are gone forever, along with the $1/10 shots on a stripper clip of Chinese 7.62x39. Just something to tell the young'uns about in the future, like that time I bought a pair of preban SKS's for $75 each, one afternoon on a whim, or that NIB police trade S&W Combat Masterpiece for $180. Got the dealer to throw in a traded in holster and duty belt for another $20 and they looked unused too....

All the best,
Grumpy

· Registered
367 Posts
Grumpy, I remember the Fed Spitfires and Rem Vipers were both truncated cones which didn't like the Ramline (Jamline) mag at all. I still have an old Ramline which earned an early retirement. It holds two rows of 15. Nice because it's a little lower profile than today's stuff but could provoke some hair curling phases when it met up with ammo it didn't like.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.