Perfect Union banner

What kind of mag do I have?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cajungeo 
#1 ·
I would post a pic if i could but looking at the pic gallery the 30 rounder that i have is stainless steel and looks exactly like a western mag but has a welded tab just like a PMI mag. The floor plate is blued and is stamped " mini 14". The metal is fairly heavy. The dealer told me he thought they were western brand. Did they start welding tabs instead of stamping them?

#2 ·
My 30 rd Western measures 6 3/4", while my 30 rd PMI measures 7". I sat the mags upright on their butt plate, on a flat surface, and setting a ruler upright to measure the most aft corner of mag (aft of lips, and not the follower).

The PMI has 2 holes in the sides, the western does not. Neither of mine is stamped.

#5 ·
I did notice a new batch of cheap Import mags on the market. The ones I have seen are blued with a lug welded on like Masen and PMI. They are made of thin soft sheet steel. Kinda like a western with a lug welded on. No holes in the sides of the mag bodies. I don't know if they made any Nickle plated mags. You would think whoever is stamping these things out could use decent grade of steel and of heavier gauge. They shoulda just bought some factory mags brought'em back to Asia and reverse engineered them, something those countries are usually pretty good at. These are on some of the Auction boards like Gun Broker and Auction Arms. I noticed them at a local gun show.

#6 ·
Hi Guys-
My 1 st post here,
any how I have a number of mini 14 30 rounders it seems the usa mags over the years are starting to nose dive jam..
USA supposedly has a life time gaurentee ...anyone tried to use this to get their mags fixed??
Another thing has anyone tried the western brand mags..
can't seem to find pmi at a reasonable price!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the excellent into
John

#7 ·
Originally posted by john from pa
Hi Guys-
My 1 st post here,
any how I have a number of mini 14 30 rounders it seems the usa mags over the years are starting to nose dive jam..
it'd be nice if they were of the anti-tilt follower design

USA supposedly has a life time gaurentee ...anyone tried to use this to get their mags fixed??
I believe they went out of business

And welcome to the board!

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum John. You can get new springs from Brownells, followers too to give new life to tired mags.

I got 4 elcheapo western mags from CDNN. They work if I leave 2 rounds out. Your mileage may varry as the cheap mags are hit & miss, and a little tweeking.

Several members post favorable, results with wolf springs: http://www.gunsprings.com./RifleShotgun/Ru...sNF.html#Mini14

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.