Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

As it seems that the Mini is picky about the ammo you feed it, I thought it would be interesting to see what Ammo everyone is feeding their Mini?

Personally, I'm still trying to find that magic bullet..........

Roy:2guns:

·
Registered
723 Posts
All of my Mini-14's are not ammo picky,I use wolf ammo and it makes a bit of a mess and smells as the gun gets hot and melts the Lacquer on the caseing"s.I come across a lot of 500RD Remington UMC ammo from Sportsman Guide and bought a couple cases my guns love it.And shoot descent groups.The ammo is the same as regular Green Box ammo,you can look at the posted muzzle energy and velocity and their both the same.Plus their reloadable.

Best!!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
My mini likes Winchester 45 gr varmint, and loves my reloads Serria 63 grn SP, with 22 grn of RL-7, 92.2 grn LC brass, and Federal 205 Match primers.

BTW I'm moving this thread to the Mini talk section.

·
Registered
804 Posts
For the answer on mine go to the thread on Cheaper Than Dirt Mags. Basically my Mini will eat anything and everything.

:beer: :rapid:

·
Registered
821 Posts
I get Lake City reloads from a guy for $140 per 1000 !! That's good ammo for a good price! But my mini's seem to eat about anything I feed them,but I rarely feed them Russian steel case!

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mini-14s can shoot anything in .223/5.56! They aren't tackdrivers. But, they go bang every time with all ammo. That is what they do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In my experience the Mini is definitely not picky about what ammo you feed it. For blasting I use Wolf because it is cheap and reliable. For more serious work I like the Master Cartridge load ( #M223E ) consisting of a 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3200 FPS. The latter load is also the load I carry in my department issued M16. I used to handload everything, but since so much good cheap 223 is available these days I dont bother anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my mini likes some vintage federal and rem belted 5.56mm{ headstamps 1965} I picked up at a garage sale. Also likes IMI 5.56 m855, lake city. etc, etc. I think I just heard it burp!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Scout, sounds like something might be wrong with your Mini if its picky about its ammo. I can run anything through mine and it gobbles it down like a Great Dane thats been fasting for three days. The only jam I have ever had was when somehow a big blob of hair :blink: got tangled up in the action?? I have no idea how that happened, but oh well. It wasnt even my hair.

:rapid:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey CrazyMiniMan. I think we may have 2 different definations of The mini being "picky". Mine like yours feeds, shoots anything I put in it no jams or misfeeds. Its the "accuracy" where the mini is more picky. Some people blast away at 50 yds, and don't care much about accuracy. I tuned my mini to drop a yote at up to 300 yds, with 1 shot. So accuracy to me meant more than some of the others. Even if I didn't hunt with it I like to accurize my guns as much as possible. It's just a personal thing. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:blink:

Crazy Mini Man,

My Mini has rolled right through any ammo that I've fed it.... however some of it can't hit the side of a barn at 200 yards.

I have a box of Cajungeo's favorite 45 gr Win. Varmit rounds but I haven't been out to try it yet!

Scout :sniper:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts