Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of family letters spanning a good portion of the 20th century.
Post card my great grandmother (dads side of family) sent a family member around 1912.
My great grandmothers (moms side of the family) single shot shotgun.
My grandfathers report cards when he was in school in the 1930s.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Someone mentioned dirt. LOL! I was going to say I have a little Metorite that I found...

Not sure how old it is... but I am thinking its DAMN OLD... :) little, Heavy black metal jobber... but NOT magnetic! Its pretty cool!

·
M.I.A.
1,474 Posts
Someone mentioned dirt. LOL! I was going to say I have a little Metorite that I found...

Not sure how old it is... but I am thinking its DAMN OLD... :) little, Heavy black metal jobber... but NOT magnetic! Its pretty cool!
Hey! I got one of those too. Well, technically I gave it to my aunt. I should bug her for it so I can at least get a picture.

---
Funny story. I was walking around on the Rez just poking through rocks and such. I happen upon a meteorite about the size of a golf ball. Maybe a little smaller. So I pick it up. Mine looked almost like lava rock, but it's much heavier, heavier than even lead. Same too in being non-magnetic. It's a dark matte charcoal color. Not quite shiny, but has a weird hue to it.
The next morning I'm walking around around whilst drinking my coffee. I'm in this same gully but about 400 yards further down and I find this dish shaped object. It's sandstone and kind of like a shallow bowl perhaps 6" across. The oddest part is the meteorite I found the day before fits into this indentation in the "dish" perfectly. I have no idea if it was the impact point, but it fits so well I didn't care. They are a set now. :D

A week earlier I had previously hiked the bear and cougar infested mountain (more of a mesa) to the sheep camp. We ascended 3200ft and made 17 miles in 7 hours. Along the way I happened upon two petrified gallon bean cans, another old camp nobody knew was there. This mushroom like plant that can be used to make a poison. We almost stepped on a 400lb mule deer and yes, even a bear's lair (I'll never forget that musty stench). And while camping we also found many arrowheads and other stuff I wasn't supposed to find.
After finding the meteorite AND that "dish" my wife's grandparents decided to give me a name. Heck if I can pronounce it, but the closest translation my wife could give me was "the finder of strange or odd things".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.