Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are there any special fire lapping bullets that are pre-loaded, because i haven't really started handloading yet

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wouldn't bother with it, if you shoot enough regular bullets, it will have a similar effect on the bore. Some say you are just wearing out the bore quicker by firelapping.
The 30 will have about 1600 lbs. of energy and the 14 1300 lbs.
The Barnaul 7.62x39 softpoints are cheap and do expand, other than that the US sp's will work. Uly hp's fragment at close range (try on a milk jug), don't use on deer. You could explode a jackrabbit with one tho. :eek:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The purpose of firelaping is to smooth up the machine marks, and tight spots in the bore by firing varing degrees of abrasive coated bullets. This results in less friction, less fouling, and better accuracy. Generally a new rifle will benifit more than than an older rifle with a worn in barrel. It improved my mini by an average of 1/4" groups at 100 yds. If done properly it will not wear out your barrel, or shorten its life. It works for me! :D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hmmm. I've read several positive articles, that is the first negative one. I guess I will have to shoot for several years to see if its true. Till then it works for me :D

Does anyone have any data on barrel life for the mini-14? does 10,000 rds sound about right?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I believe I have read/heard that many of the barrel manufacturers will void their warranties if you have firelapped their barrels. Intuitively, it seems as though firelapping would round off the shoulders on the lands.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
My question is how can you tell when a $9.00 barrel is shot out?
When after some years of shooting the frustration of droping accuracy overcomes the reluctance of letting loose the big bucks for a proper sheilen barrel. :D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Intuitively, it seems as though firelapping would round off the shoulders on the lands.
It actually smooths the machine marks on the land shoulders, thus less friction, it also puts a slight taper in the barrel as the bullet looses grit as it progresses down the barrel. There is no measurable diff. by the time the bullet reaches the muzzle. This increases accuracy. It does round off the entrance of the bullet to land shoulders so the bullet is eased into the lands.

I have read several articles on Laping the barrel. I agree the prefered method is hand laping which is filling your barrel with hot lead, working the laping slug out, imbedding the grit, and working the slug down the bore by hand, but the short cut is firelaping. Much easier if you can reload. It did improve groups by 1/4" avg. on my mini. To me it was worth it. Each shooter has to decide if it is worth the expense or trouble. I needed the extra accuracy for my project. Milage may very you may get less than 1/4" or you may get better. If I had an older ruger I problably wouldn't have done it, as it wouldn't have improved accuracy that much in a worn in barrel. It works for me. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts