Perfect Union banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have a question to ask,and it kinda takes a little explaining. So please bear with me. I am an avid gun collector. And I live in VA. I own several mini-14s and 30s. About a month ago I went to my favorite Gun store,where I have done business for about fifteen years,I am known on a first name basis there. The owner has been in business for about 35yrs and is honest and very Knowledgeable. He said come here a minite as he motioned for me to go around to the back storage room. He opened one of many boxes he had recieved earlier that day of mini-14s. I stood there admiring the guns wooden stock,and he asked me if I knowticed any thing different. No I dont I replied, he handed me a Hi CAP Mag and said insert it. I was rather shocked when I knowticed the mag would not even began to fit. And yes I know some after market mags wont fit well, but this was something I hadnt seen before. The Mag well had been narrowed a great deal. He handed me another one and it was like the first. He replied to me there all like that, the whole shipment I recieved. He replied Ruger has narrowed the mag well so it wont take Hi Cap Mags. I felt a lump in my throat as I could not believe it. Everyone in the shop was talking about it. When I got home I had no reason to doubt my dealer I was just having trouble excepting what I have learned,I called Ruger and a young man answered the phone, I told him of my first hand experience. And ask him if Ruger had changed the mini-14 so it would not take pre ban Hi Cap Mags? He replied yes we have narrowed the mag well so it will not take any Hi cap Mag, except for L.E. I was speechless. I told some guys about it and some thought I was crazy, with good reason. I gave them the number and told them to call Ruger for themselves at 1-603-865-2442 well some one took me up on it and caled and spoke to a young lady he gave me her name and she told him there were no changes made. So I Guess now I was being called crazy. So I call Ruger back and a young lady answered the phone and i ask her, she quickly replied no they had not changed a thing, I ask her for her name and she gave it to me. It was the same girl my friend had spoken to. So I politely ask her would she double check for me. When she came back on line she apoligised and said they had made the changes I was enquiring about. I thanked her and told my friend to call again as he had been mis informed. So he called and said he spoke to a supervisor and was told there were no changes. Now I am really getting a headache. I call the gun shop to see if any thing had come up different there. My friend Carl said no they have been changed. I told him of my troubles and he said have them call down here Ill tell them the truth I replied I would not do that to you, he said no I dont mind Ill tell them. Any way I call Ruger again explain this whole story and the rep told me every one was getting ready to go to lunch he would find out and call me after lunch. About two O clock I call back, he replied he was getting ready to call me. He beat around the bush and said te synthetic stock models have been changed, I replied the ones I saw were wooden stocked, he tried to say well some aftermarket mags dont fit well I told him we tried several different ones and none even came close, and that you could look at a new one and an old one and see the difference with the human eye. He then asked me if I had their new catalog, I replied yes and he said look at it and see if it mentions any change!! Sure it doesnt but I know what I saw And the different answers I got every time I called Ruger. The Number is 1-603-865-2442 any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and Thanks for taking time to read this.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looking at my 40rd mag and my 5rd I dont understand how ruger
could make it not accept the hi caps yet accept the current 5rd
unless of course they redesigned the rifle with a new single stack
5 round mag or something like that. either way that would be a
stupid thing to do , i love my mini but am starting to think that bill ruger is not on the gunowners side

:confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
If this is true it's only one more reason to give up on the Mini and buy AR-15's. The Mini had enough going against it in the first place. This would be the final nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned. I just feel for those who live in states where they can't own an AR.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Rugster, what was the series #? I bought my new 196 last Christmas, and it accepts all mags for the mini. If they did change it, ours will be worth at least $100 more.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VA. hunter it appears were very close as I live in South West VA. as well. Thanks guys for taking time to read my question it is Very troubling. I cant get a strait answer from Ruger, which is surprising. As far as I know the ones I seen were brand new in the box, with wooden stocks. But they really narrowed the mag well, even the old 5rd mini-14 mags wont go in this gun. I talked to my friend the gunshop owner and he still says the same thing ,that they have been changed. I appreciate the member that called Ruger, you see how you can ask two people the same question and they each tell a different story. Something is strange about that. One person says yes we did make the change and the other, when you call back says no change. I wish I could have bought one more before the change. If there is a change. If anyone has any ideas on how I could find out besides Ruger, or my dealer whom I have no reason to doubt. And then I seen it with my own eyes. Guess I should quit worrying about it the truth will be revealed. Thanks Guys,

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would think it stupid for Ruger to make a change like that. If they make the new mini's so they won't accept preban hicap mags their little rifle won't sell ! The Armalite AR180B is already a serious threat to some mini sales at the price around $ 650. The mini's have gone up on price down here in Fl they are getting $ 599- $ 630 for a new stainless/synthetic mini.Bad enough we have to pay extreme prices for decent hicaps thanks to Clinton but if Ruger makes these expensive mags useless in a new model the market will move to old min's or away from mini's as a whole.I sure wouldn't buy one that won't accept hicaps.Bill Ruger is a genius and a fool at the same time....the man helped suggest the 10 round limit but still refuses to make factory 10 round mags which would be a big seller in CA and elsewhere.:usa:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just called Ruger myself, after reading this post and talked to a gal named Debbie in product support.

She said there were no design changes. I explained to her where I was getting my information, and she said she'd double-check.

I was on hold for about 2 minutes and she came back on the line and told me that she had checked with her supervisor and according to him, no design changes have been made.

Maybe if more of us called, we could tally the yea/nay results and average them out so we get a weighted yea or nay. I can just see the results: 70% of new Mini-14's accept hi capacity magazine, and 30% do not... :confused:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it is total&%### it came from the mouth of three Ruger employees. And I (SEEN TWO OF THEM) maybe they were factory errors but I KNow what I seen and what I was told. I say again time will tell!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
"And said insert it, I tried and it would not even began to go inside the mag well. He opened another box and handed me another gun. I tried to insert the mag, but you could tell by looking it would not fit and I tried with the same results as before. And yes I know that some pre ban Hi Caps dont fit well. "But there was no way to put anything in it except the factory 5rd mag." He said to me I got a shipment in today and there all like that."

This is a quote from rugster....above. Now just how smart do you really have to be.....to see the flaw in it????

I have no need to call any (1) shop in the USA to verify a untruth. I just received a new dealers catolog from Ruger......new mini`s and magazines. Let`s just look at a few simple things.

First, retool to make the rifle/stock.
Second, retool to make new magazines.

Now anyone with any marketing experience or production experience knows, you don`t just flip a switch and make it happen. This would be a "brand new" production rifle and it`s magazine`s too. Now you would have to run two seperate lines.....that`s right "TWO LINES" for two different rifles, why???
because you have to make replacement parts for both. Logic does not dictate this and that`s needed........logic.

Beyond than, the very notion that this/these "rare" mini`s accept factory 5 round Ruger magazines......says volumns. If it accepts "FACTORY RUGER FIVE ROUND MAGAZINES"......Guess what????? Is this really that hard to see????

The fact you spoke to anyone at Ruger means very little, you can call any manufacture and speak with personel and get wrong information. Just because they work there does not make them gun savy.

This is a better kept secret than area 51.....sure?????

This is one of the biggest steaming loads since the gun show loop-hole. LTS

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now Rugster does OUOTE, this was asked in the form of a question? ( I mean Is this not what this forum is for?) You dont have to be smart or know everything, as some people seem to think. I just stated what I seen, as far as your comment if you work somewhere you dont have to know everything about your job. Well the first two times I spoke with a gunsmith,as for you I dont know, but I expect a factory gunsmith to know his job.If not I sure dont want to buy from that company. SO lets let the subject go and as I stated time will tell.I respect and go on word of mouth on this forum, as I think one should.I guess your quote struck me wrong. Thanks for taking time to respond, But I dont lie and I know what I seen and heard. And I dont have an explanation for it. Enough said on the topic.Lets let it go. Thanks guys for your time.This is one time I will be happy to be wrong.,
If I am.

Happy Hunting
Safe shooting.,

·
Registered
139 Posts
Now we should let it go, because now we have a now have a gunsmith involved. I don`t think so. This story does not even have good legs to stand on. First it is said ("you"), the magazine well has been greatly narrowed......then said.....only the factory 5 round magazine is the only one that fits......sorry, you can`t have it both ways. If the magazine well has been narrowed, the factory 5 round magazine would not fit. Now that the rotary magazine does not fit (my words) the Mini14 would have to be a single stack 5 rounder and would stick out from the stock over three inches.....Oh! wait.....they have made a new compact 5 round rotary magazine and defeated mathematics in doing so. I can see now why you wish to just......."let it go" I cannot believe you continue this, as nothing can support this claim.....except your word. It`s pretty easy to see......they hold very little water, much like a tea strainer.

The Mini14 receiver has not been changed, the stock has not been changed and the rotary magazine has not been changed AND neither has the Mini30.....I wonder if their receivers are the same???? Naw, it`s a .30 caliber.....how could they be??? No way could they just change the bolt and a few parts and barrel and make a Mini30. Keep on, it`s now getting funny. LTS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.