Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I shoot my mini I get a click and the gun doesnt fire. A tiny tiny dent is left in the primer. This doesnt happen too often and the shell fires if I try it again. This has happened when using American Eagle, UMC, and Remington hunting rounds so its not just cheap ammo that causes it. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.

-Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Grinch,
Try to let the slide handle cycle forward on it own. By riding the slide handle forward when you cycle your action, you can cause this to happen. Good Luck R6721:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but this happens not only after I chamber my first round. It will happen even when I am shooting a string of shots and the gun is cycling itself. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
145 Posts
could be your firing pin gunked up with oil and burnt powder, try cleaning it. does it happen more when its cold?
RR

:rapid:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I disassembled my bolt, the pin looked fairly clean but nevertheless i wiped it down and finally got it reassembled. I have yet to shoot it, hopefully Santa drops me the ammo I asked for on Christmas. I will check back in a while with results. As far as the cold, I do live in Wisconsin and it has yet to get to our standard of cold this year. I have had this problem in warm temperatures as well as cold temps.

-Grinch

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, a fellow cheesehead. I live in Horicon, not sure if you have heard of it. Its about and hour away from both Milwaukee and Madison.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright guys, what should I do : I am still having the problems as originally described after taking apart the whole bolt assembly, cleaning the firing pin (which looks to be in good condition), and trying a variety of 223 ammo.

Any other suggestions or experiences with this problem? What are my options?

·
Registered
169 Posts
point the gun down the range and pull the bolt back (cocking it) then let it go so it closes itself. Problem solved. You see when u ease it close it stops before it is all the way up its track.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This doesnt just happen during the first shot. It will happen even when I am letting out a string of shots and the gun is cycling itself.

·
Registered
716 Posts
He says it happens after the first round as well, thus its probably not a cycling problem. Bad ammo is not it, since he's tried different brands.

Have you opened the gun up and looked at the cleanliness of the impact area of the slide into the gasblock? It could be something preventing full locking of the bolt.

Next time it happens, see if the bolt is fully locked in the closed position after you pull the trigger and go 'click'.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Could be a number of things. Those rounds may have under sized, when the firing pin hit them, the firing pin pushed the round forward into the chamber, softing the blow on the primer.

There could be a slight obstruction on the inside of the firing pin hole or at the back of the bolt that every now and then catches the firing pin just right and will not allow the firing pin to move all the way through.

Might be something wrong with your hammmer or trigger group that is not allowing the hammer to drive the firing pin forward with the force required set off the primer.

·
Registered
685 Posts
wolff x-tra power hammer spring might help?brownells 969-000-062 for 7.49 or try gunsprings.com think about a extra power main spring for extra bolt lock up force it's good idea. hope it helps.....later

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to check over the gun just to make sure there are no obstructions or other obvious problems. If that doesnt solve the problem I might go with the wolff springs since they might be a good investment anyways. And if I still have problems then I will talk to a gunsmith or contact Ruger. Thanks again

·
Registered
61 Posts
Take your clip (assuming it is an aftermarket) and look to see if there are any marks on the top of it near to where the primer of the bullet sits. It might be catching there just enough to give the same effect as releasing the bolt easy. If this is the problem you should be able to just bend the clip to fix it.

I had the same problem and this seemed to correct it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I pretty much have been using my Eagle 35 rd clip when I go out shooting since it is smoked (see through) and then I can see how many rounds I have left .... come to think of it when I snap the bolt it does seem to slide forward kind of slowly. Unfortunately since the Eagle mags are plastic I wont be able to just bend them but maybe I could file off some of the plastic. I'll check it out, next time I go shooting I'll use only my Ruger factory mags and see what happens. I'll keep you informed. Thanks
--Grinch

1 - 20 of 24 Posts