Perfect Union banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Well, point and shoot will do in a pinch.

However, sights start at notch and go up from there........aperture and then red dot and then scope for the best.

If you think scopes are too "delicate" you should always have a peep mounted as a backup.
Yeah, I probably need to give red dot a try at some point. Presume it wouldn't have those mentioned draw-backs (obstruction, field of view - not so sure about delicacy). Still, it is a "high-tech" disconnect from the target "reality" and trust begins to break down!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Stripper clips are not without their problems, more, I think, than quality mags.

Reactions: Logos

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Stripper clips take a little practice, though en-blocs not so much.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Perhaps send an e-mail to most major militaries who use stripper-clipped rifle ammo as a typical means of re-supply.
That would be an e-mail to the Third World militaries, right?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
SHTF to me is a longer version of the aftermath of a very bad hurricane. No power, water, phone, groceries etc. You have to become self sufficient real quick, suppling your own food, water, shelter and actual protection, 911 isn’t going to cut it. Provided that you stocked up beforehand. This is where being on good terms with your neighbors really pays off. I love living in a very small town out in the country.
That is mainly my concept (but I don't use the SHTF term): a regional environmental disaster that has a significant impact for a few weeks. Living in earthquake country for several decades, and being in the public safety/EMS business here, we have prepped most residents to have a high level of self-sufficiency for at least 72 hours (Get Ready program). They are also prepped to expect and plan for a period of a week or two with limited assistance. We have multiple disaster caches in our area, along with residents trained and participating in neighborhood CERT teams and NRG groups.

I just find it interesting when someone in a firearms technical forum interjects their opinion of disaster preparedness first being the acquisition of several semi-auto rifles (AR, AK, Mini), dozens of magazines, thousands of rounds of ammunition, and a large supply of spare parts. Then, there comes the banter of opinions of what's the better rifle in a "SHTF" situation.

I can see having a few firearms and support (ammo, magazines) to be able to discourage neighborhood looters or an individual making an offensive move on your residence. But for someone to think that they will use their "SHTF arsenal" to single-handedly repel groups of determined and armed assailants from the remains of their residence, smacks of someone who has absorbed too many armageddon/apocalypse movies.

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
Hell my entire life has been one long SHTF scenario, one long slow train wreck! I've lost everything and reinvented myself more than once. That being said at the end of the day all I really need is a damned good knife. a good rifle, and a good pistol, with enough ammo for each to get me through a season. If there is an active enemy present they will proved my supplies; if not then I have skills and supplies to trade.

There isn't much sense in building up a massive stockpile of supplies if'n yer in a place that a group of armed people can come and take it all away from you, because you won't be able to take it with you when you have to flee!

Learn how and where to cache supplies.

Learn to resupply from alternative sources, like an enemy.

Know yourself and know your enemy; for in a hundred battles you will not be defeated. If you know nether yourself nor your enemy your odds of success are greatly diminished.

The needs of each person, each family are different, so there is no one size fits all plan, but those who fail to plan plan to fail fer sure.

What constitutes a SHTF scenario?

Any scenario that arises that makes it difficult to provide for yourself and your family.

For instance COVID was a SHTF scenario that America may well never recover from.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Imo 2020 was a practice run for a far worse event that is just over the horizon. It’s there but we just can’t see it. I don’t think we did very good last year if I was giving the country a grade. Instead of pulling together to defeat a common enemy that has killed almost 600,000 Americans and is still killing here and overseas we pulled apart fighting over stupid stuff. If we had done this in 1941 we would all be speaking German now. Im afraid that it has become the individual who has to do his own disaster prep, firearms are important but just a small part. There will be another even more severe pandemic, cat 5 storm, huge left coast quake, severe drought with bigger wildfires, N Korea [thinks it is still fighting the Korean War] or criminal or state sponsored hacking causing a shut down of the national power grid, take your pick. We need to prepare now for the next big event. Stay safe all. Soapbox off.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,584 Posts
When SHTF (Shirt Hits The Fun, AKA Shirt Hides The Fun)

When SHTF it ruins everything and I wish she would take it back off.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,584 Posts
Lexington, I would lay my life down for her...

Reactions: Parnelli

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,584 Posts
I guess I should have posted that pic in the Religion Chit Chat section, so we could talk theology.

Well anyway, that's the last time I'll answer such an open question such as, "What does SHTF mean to you?" :rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Right over a quote from the Gospel of John? Shame on you bro.

:cool:
That picture was not offensive. The girl is cute and nothing private is showing.

Lighten up. Your noisy objection to a little innocent SHTF humor was not warranted.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That picture was not offensive. The girl is cute and nothing private is showing.

Lighten up. Your noisy objection to a little innocent SHTF humor was not warranted.
You call "shame on you" with an emoji "a noisy objection?"
Wow. I'll be more careful in the future.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts