Perfect Union banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
To OP: having posted original topic in Mini Forum, and since moved by Mods, I'll respond.

Minis, once sorted-out, are very reliable rifles. What they lack in extremely common mags, they have in robust construction.

Any Mini owner is very foolish if they do not own multiple magazines. Most Militaries consider mags to be disposable devices, and hopefully re-supplied. In the event of a true SHTF scenario, one will need a great many mags, in order to allow for loss/damage to some mags.

Many militaries re-supply ammo in bandoliers, where ammo is mounted on stripper clips, and interface devices between stripper clip and mag (mag loaders/spoons) are included in the bandolier.

The Mini is almost unique in that, with proper top-feed device, from Cogburn Arsenal, an installed mag can be top-fed. from GI stripper clips. Only other common semi-auto rifle exception is the M1A/m-14, but possibly some other, more obscure rifles. FAL rifles can also be top-fed, via stripper clips, via proprietary item from DSArms.

IMHO, having the option to top-feed mags is a valuable thing, I've installed such devices on all my rifles which will accept such.

In the event One's State or the FedGov makes illegal replaceable mags, then the ability to top-load mags becomes much more useful. Sort of like an SKS.

Plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have never been a huge fan of (rifle) box mags, because of the bulk and weight. I like my Garand for this reason (enbloc clips - reusable, though, essentially, disposable), though it is significantly heavier, itself. Coincidentally, it has basically the same (reliable) action as the Mini. Also, it is a great piece of history! :)

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
I have never been a huge fan of (rifle) box mags, because of the bulk and weight. I like my Garand for this reason (enbloc clips - reusable, though, essentially, disposable), though it is significantly heavier, itself. Coincidentally, it has basically the same (reliable) action as the Mini. Also, it is a great piece of history! :)
I have a number of .Garands in different calibers. They all work fine, as long as they were properly designed to do so.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have a number of .Garands in different calibers. They all work fine, as long as they were properly designed to do so.
The main calibers of Garands I am aware of are .30 06 and .308, though I once heard of one that was chambered in .458 Winchester magnum, though think that was more of a novelty thing. So far I've just got the one in .30 06. Also have an SKS, which has the internal mag loadable with stripper clips. That, too, is a really great gun

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Get as many Mini 14 magazines as you can before that situation happens, if that's the only semi auto rifle that you have. Have 22LR to harvest small game. Get a mariachi costume in case you have to flee into Mexico...or Kansas City.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
Is the Mini rifle the absolute best for 'SHTF' - different causes as this may be? I'm not sure, likely to my thinking is that a smaller center fire handgun concealed easily and spare ammunition may be preferable.
Myself I don't want to stand out from the ordinary citizenry but yet have adequate means of defense for myself and others should they not be armed. Meaning ones I care about.
Obviously I would not be suitable armed for a running gun battle - although the prospect of may exist.
I do have an above mentioned firearm, handgun - plus a folder stock PCC mounted with a single point sling for concealment under a parka. My Mini is a fixed stock, full factory stock which I would grab and spare magazines, ammo should a dreaded gunfight be on the horizon.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Get as many Mini 14 magazines as you can before that situation happens, if that's the only semi auto rifle that you have. Have 22LR to harvest small game. Get a mariachi costume in case you have to flee into Mexico...or Kansas City.
Duh. For the fifth or sixth time, while I was born and reared in Kansas City, I haven't lived there in decades, and, for the fifth or sixth time, my "handle" here is not related to being born or having lived in Mexico but is, rather, an homage to a motion picture in which several friends were involved, including Gallardo and Rodriguez. I also know a couple of members of the Los Lobos band. My ancestry is mostly Spanish, Italian, and Greek.

For your edification, if that is possible, from Wikipedia:
El Mariachi is a 1992 Spanish-language American independent neo-Western action film and the first part of the saga that came to be known as Robert Rodriguez's Mexico Trilogy. It marked the feature-length debut of Rodriguez as writer and director. The Spanish language film was shot with a mainly amateur cast in the northern Mexican bordertown of Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila, Mexico across from Del Rio, Texas, the home town of leading actor Carlos Gallardo as the title character. The US $7,225 production was originally intended for the Mexican home-video market, but executives at Columbia Pictures liked the film and bought the American distribution rights. Columbia eventually spent $200,000 to transfer the print to film, to remix the sound, and on other post-production work, then spent millions more on marketing and distribution.
The success of Rodriguez's directorial debut led him to create two sequels (Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico) with Antonio Banderas taking over from Gallardo for the character, though Gallardo co-produced both films and had a minor role in Desperado.
In 2011, El Mariachi was inducted into the Library of Congress to be preserved as part of its National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[5][6] The film is also recognized by Guinness World Records as the lowest-budgeted film ever to gross $1 million at the box office.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Duh. For the fifth or sixth time, while I was born and reared in Kansas City, I haven't lived there in decades, and, for the fifth or sixth time, my "handle" here is not related to being born or having lived in Mexico but is, rather, an homage to a motion picture in which several friends were involved, including Gallardo and Rodriguez. I also know a couple of members of the Los Lobos band. My ancestry is mostly Spanish, Italian, and Greek.

For your edification, if that is possible, from Wikipedia:
El Mariachi is a 1992 Spanish-language American independent neo-Western action film and the first part of the saga that came to be known as Robert Rodriguez's Mexico Trilogy. It marked the feature-length debut of Rodriguez as writer and director. The Spanish language film was shot with a mainly amateur cast in the northern Mexican bordertown of Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila, Mexico across from Del Rio, Texas, the home town of leading actor Carlos Gallardo as the title character. The US $7,225 production was originally intended for the Mexican home-video market, but executives at Columbia Pictures liked the film and bought the American distribution rights. Columbia eventually spent $200,000 to transfer the print to film, to remix the sound, and on other post-production work, then spent millions more on marketing and distribution.
The success of Rodriguez's directorial debut led him to create two sequels (Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico) with Antonio Banderas taking over from Gallardo for the character, though Gallardo co-produced both films and had a minor role in Desperado.
In 2011, El Mariachi was inducted into the Library of Congress to be preserved as part of its National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[5][6] The film is also recognized by Guinness World Records as the lowest-budgeted film ever to gross $1 million at the box office.
You should ask the moderators if they'll make this post a permanent sticky posted up above so you won't have to keep telling your story.

They could title it, "El Mari's Cover Story."

:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
To OP: having posted original topic in Mini Forum, and since moved by Mods, I'll respond.

Minis, once sorted-out, are very reliable rifles. What they lack in extremely common mags, they have in robust construction.

Any Mini owner is very foolish if they do not own multiple magazines. Most Militaries consider mags to be disposable devices, and hopefully re-supplied. In the event of a true SHTF scenario, one will need a great many mags, in order to allow for loss/damage to some mags.

Many militaries re-supply ammo in bandoliers, where ammo is mounted on stripper clips, and interface devices between stripper clip and mag (mag loaders/spoons) are included in the bandolier.

The Mini is almost unique in that, with proper top-feed device, from Cogburn Arsenal, an installed mag can be top-fed. from GI stripper clips. Only other common semi-auto rifle exception is the M1A/m-14, but possibly some other, more obscure rifles. FAL rifles can also be top-fed, via stripper clips, via proprietary item from DSArms.

IMHO, having the option to top-feed mags is a valuable thing, I've installed such devices on all my rifles which will accept such.

In the event One's State or the FedGov makes illegal replaceable mags, then the ability to top-load mags becomes much more useful. Sort of like an SKS.

Plan for the worst, and hope for the best.
I have often thought how great it would be if I could load the Mini with stripper clips, like an SKS or SMLE. I will definitely check lout the device you mentioned (Cogburn).
It looks like it's at a poor angle and might block the sights. Could you offer some advice on how well they work? Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think many of these responses have valid points and opinions worth considering. I know folks have vastly different ideas of what exactly SHTF would mean. I will just offer two very different images:

First, just consider places where there is little food and medicine and what is available is being confiscated by armed bands (Somalia, 1990s?).

Next, perhaps closer to home, consider so-called "superstorm" Sandy, which hit the east coast in 2012. That was a category 3 storm and we got lots of warning that she was coming. Many people boarded up windows, some used tape. Some thought that was silly and did nothing. Some hoarded fuel and MREs, some thought that was silly and stored little or no food, batteries or fuel.

In my area, Sandy knocked down countless trees and ripped off pieces of roofs everywhere. I am not in a coastal area (well, more than 50 miles from it) and we had moderate flooding. I lost power about eight hours into the storm, as it sounded like a slow train outside and the rain looked like someone spraying a hose against my windows. We did without power for seven days.

I was working at a hardware store at the time. We opened the next day, without power, and did our best to write out bills with pencils and help customers with flashlights. Within 24 hours, we were out of gas cans, tarps, batteries and flashlights. It was quite clear to me that the same folks who rolled their eyes and laughed at the "NRA, pickup truck, guns and gas cans" crowd a day before were now close to panic. As in all crisis, some rose to the occasion and were kind, calm and sharing. Likewise, it brought out the worst in many people, who started to consider bullying, threats or theft to get what they badly needed and wanted. I'm not in a rural region but I am ten minutes from fish and deer, just to give you some context. The folks who panicked most wouldn't know what to do with a fishing rod, rifle or jumper cables, if you get my drift.

What's my point? There will always be people who think they will never lack anything, due to their wealth or position, or whatever. And there will always be people who "hope for the best and prepare for the worst," as has been said elsewhere. But all it takes is a few days without a shower, a hot meal, electric light, TV, internet or fuel to make some people revert to animal like behavior, especially if they had no solid moral foundation the day before things got messy.

So, let's hope for the best. But a little preparation goes a long way if something uncomfortable happens. I don't have the space to stockpile. But some extra ammo, batteries, gas cans, tarps, duct tape and dry or canned food can go a long way.

Peace bros.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I have often thought how great it would be if I could load the Mini with stripper clips, like an SKS or SMLE. I will definitely check lout the device you mentioned (Cogburn).
It looks like it's at a poor angle and might block the sights. Could you offer some advice on how well they work? Thanks!
Did you see this one? Doesn't look like it would block sights.........in fact, seems to me they'd be crazy to make one that would block the sights.

But someone will be along soon who knows.

Reactions: Lexington

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
You should ask the moderators if they'll make this post a permanent sticky posted up above so you won't have to keep telling your story.

They could title it, "El Mari's Cover Story."

:D
You can lead a horse to water...The info is in my "bio" here...;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
SHTF to me is a longer version of the aftermath of a very bad hurricane. No power, water, phone, groceries etc. You have to become self sufficient real quick, suppling your own food, water, shelter and actual protection, 911 isn’t going to cut it. Provided that you stocked up beforehand. This is where being on good terms with your neighbors really pays off. I love living in a very small town out in the country.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Oh yeah.........I should add.

Buy silver. Dimes, quarters, half dollars. The 90% silver ones from the early 1960s and before.

People will stop taking cash a few weeks after the SHTF.

Barter will be the way things are acquired.

Older silver coins will be the only money accepted.

Gold is fine, but it's extremely valuable and you will need small change and you'll save your gold for really large trades.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Not a big fan of scopes, either. Too delicate, plus limited field of view and the obstruction factor.

Reactions: Lexington

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not a big fan of scopes, either. Too delicate, plus limited field of view and the obstruction factor.
Last week, I went to a range to shoot one of my favorite rimfires, a Marlin 795. I went to the 50-yard line. One of the ROs asks, "Do you have a scope?" I say "no." Then he says, "Oh, you want to go to the 25-yard line then." I say, "No sir." He says "OK" and walks away.

I put all my rounds in the black at 50-yards with that marlin with Tech Sights (GI peep sight picture).

Damn, does that mean the kids can't do a standard NRA 50-yard bullseye these days without optics?

Am I becoming a cranky old guy in my fifties? :mad:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Last week, I went to a range to shoot one of my favorite rimfires, a Marlin 795. I went to the 50-yard line. One of the ROs asks, "Do you have a scope?" I say "no." Then he says, "Oh, you want to go to the 25-yard line then." I say, "No sir." He says "OK" and walks away.

I put all my rounds in the black at 50-yards with that marlin with Tech Sights (GI peep sight picture).

Damn, does that mean the kids can't do a standard NRA 50-yard bullseye these days without optics?

Am I becoming a cranky old guy in my fifties? :mad:
And I'm always careful to avoid misses by firing extra! ;) Seriously, though, I think it's mostly "zen" and lots of follow-ups! ;) Yeah, peep sites are the way, but a regular old notch will do in a pinch!

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
And I'm always careful to avoid misses by firing extra! ;) Seriously, though, I think it's mostly "zen" and lots of follow-ups! ;) Yeah, peep sites are the way, but a regular old notch will do in a pinch!
Well, point and shoot will do in a pinch.

However, sights start at notch and go up from there........aperture and then red dot and then scope for the best.

If you think scopes are too "delicate" you should always have a peep mounted as a backup.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
Cogburn Arsenal makes different models of the stripper clip guide for different models of the Mini. Know the Series of your Mini (first 3 numbers of the Serial Number) and take a look at their offerings.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts