Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In reading posts about the Mini 14 and Mini Thirty, there is often reference to SHTF that is mainly related to topics such as: What is the best rifle (Mini, AR, AK, etc.). Genuine Ruger magazines are so expensive/not as available as AR Magpul mags. And: Mini spare parts aren't as available as XXX spare parts.

The way some people use SHTF, it seems like they imagine themselves in an apocalyptic afterworld and dressed in camo, shooting hundreds of rounds at zombies and leaving their dropped magazines on the wasteland as they run around, picking up spare gun parts and abandoned ammunition.

If you ever refer to SHTF in a Mini forum, what situation(s) are you thinking of?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The way some people use SHTF, it seems like they imagine themselves in an apocalyptic afterworld and dressed in camo, shooting hundreds of rounds at zombies and leaving their dropped magazines on the wasteland as they run around, picking up spare gun parts and abandoned ammunition.

If you ever refer to SHTF in a Mini forum, what situation(s) are you thinking of?
I encounter "those guys" once in a while, the camo dressers with the semi-auto rifles strapped to their chests, and out of politeness, I don't visibly giggle at them as they wait for their wives, who are shopping in Wal-Mart, or while they wait to be served burgers at a fast food Cholestoral-ium. To us, the "end of the world" occurred when the local power company went down for a few hours on a really hot day and the AC cut out. But we fixed that by having a standby generator installed. What was I going to do? Drive to the local office of the power company and shoot a few transformers? Not likely. :)

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
I think most folks would agree that a wide-spread, long-term breakdown of law and order would meet the SHTF level. This also presumes a wide-spread, long-term Utility and Transportation breakdown as well; I.E. disruption of Fuel/Electricity/NatGas/Food/Radio/Internet/Medical etc..

No doubt there are other definitions.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I think most folks would agree that a wide-spread, long-term breakdown of law and order would meet the SHTF level. This also presumes a wide-spread, long-term Utility and Transportation breakdown as well; I.E. disruption of Fuel/Food/Radio/Internet/Medical etc..

No doubt there are other definitions.
It doesn't take much.

If I remember correctly........if trucks stop delivering goods for three days stores will be out of food and other essential goods and chaos will ensue.

Three days.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I generally conceive it as any kind of a "holocaust". Certainly, the holocaust under the Nazis was a good example, and that's what people usually look for - the breaking down of doors and dragging people away. However, the "holocaust agent" is always changing his features, which certainly heightens its danger.

Though there is always the chance of another police state, the holocaust these days which most concerns me is, originally, feminism, which later evolved into the social justice and identity politics movement. At least I think you could say that Fascism is one consistent, enduring feature of SHTF/holocaust.

And I don't believe too much in prepping specifically for this reason. In all probability you will be preparing for one form, that never comes, and end up getting consumed by another. Although I certainly believe in keeping a few guns around (which is only a modest investment), I certainly don't go over-board re. any stockpiling. One's adaptive state of mind and resilience are much more important in general.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I certainly don't go over-board re. any stockpiling. One's adaptive state of mind and resilience are much more important in general.
What's overboard?

I figure that the way things are these days.........if you don't have food to last you one or two months you're under board.

Water would be more of a problem for most of us. It gets used up fast.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I don't see much likelihood of the food supply chains breaking down these days Perhaps some fuel/energy shortages, but that would be about it.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I don't see much likelihood of the food supply chains breaking down these days Perhaps some fuel/energy shortages, but that would be about it.
The food/supply chains run on fuel/energy.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Yes, but they will give food transport available fuel (first) so the public doesn't starve. I highly doubt ALL the fuel in the world will disappear all at once, not for the richest, powerful US.

Certainly, it could happen, but it isn't very likely. If it keeps you entertained, though, by all means, rock-on.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
Many bare shelves in local supermarkets during onset of Covid pandemic. Took some time for this to get back to normal.

Panic-buying by folks not reasonably stocked was a problem.

IMHO, a bare minimum would be 3 months of food and other supplies, per household. Many reasonable folks suggest much longer-term supplies.

Such items should NOT require refrigeration/frozen storage. Such items in one's freezer/fridge should be cooked and eaten immediately. Medicines requiring cold storage should have arrangements made for suitable storage if usual methods of cool/cold storage are not available. This must be tested in advance, and reliable thermometers will be essential; same sort of thermometers inside fridge and freezer will reveal when food stored inside might be unsafe to cook/eat. Don't guess.

Certain that potable water is essential. Having some fresh bleach (deteriorates within a year after mfr) on-hand to disinfect water, suitable water-filters, and perhaps a ($$$) "Water-Maker" (de-salinization unit) might be advised. Also consider transport of purified water from source to home. An ALICE pack frame, along with an optional shelf and tie-down straps will secure a 5-gal (40-lb) water can.

Most Americans can perhaps benefit from some short-term food deprivation, but that is NOT the case with potable water.

Rule of "3's": 3 minutes without air; 3 hours without suitable shelter/clothes; 3 days without water; 3 weeks without food.

In the event of a wide-spread, long-lasting disaster, there are not enough Cops and Military around (assuming they ALL report to their jobs) to ensure reliable supplies. Those saying "It can't happen HERE" are being short-sighted.

My goal: Survive most anticipated disasters without drawing on such "outside" supplies as are (hopefully) made available. Help my neighbors, as far as possible. Have reasonable means to protect my family, and provide certain neighbors with same, if required.

Personally, the last place I want to be is at an "official" supply distribution point in the aftermath of a wide-spread disaster. Sounds like a mob scene, to me. Having a certain amount of pre-stored supplies will help to avoid such.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Yes, but they will give food transport available fuel (first) so the public doesn't starve. I highly doubt ALL the fuel in the world will disappear all at once, not for the richest, powerful US.

Certainly, it could happen, but it isn't very likely. If it keeps you entertained, though, by all means, rock-on!
Maybe you're right.

And maybe you're not.

:)

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
"Costco approves this message" lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I didn't really want this moved to the General Chit Chat, as I was asking this because of how it ties in with the Mini 14/Mini Thirty topic threads I have read that have comments about reasons to not have a Mini as a "SHTF" rifle (or a few reasons TO have one). With this in mind, I started wondering about "what are these people imagining", that a typical Mini 14, with a few hundred rounds and a dozen magazines wouldn't be good for? Or why wouldn't 10-12 magazines be "enough"? That's why I posted this question.

Just as in home protection, in which I think quite a few people overestimate the intruder/home invasion threat, and underestimate the fire and medical emergency potential, it was seeming to me that some of the "SHTF" imaginations were far-flung and action movie-esque, and what hand-held small arms you possessed wouldn't matter much anyway.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

If you wait until it's too late......................it's too late.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What's overboard?

I figure that the way things are these days.........if you don't have food to last you one or two months you're under board.

Water would be more of a problem for most of us. It gets used up fast.
For a typical suburban family of four, two months of food reserves is a LOT, in terms of both volume and cost. Two weeks is a more reasonable expectation for most families. It's also not a buy-once and forget it thing. Food items eventually expire, and rotating stock by buying new stuffs and eating the older ones is part of the process, unless you feel fiscally comfortable in donating the items to a charity or tossing them in the trash.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
Post was "moved" by Mods because it was not directly pertinent to Mini-14/30. They are taking a focused view of topics, in order to reduce overall Board problems with some posters.

Overall, I concur. Nothing "wrong" with your post, just posted in an "inappropriate" forum--at least as far as Mods are concerned.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
For a typical suburban family of four, two months of food reserves is a LOT, in terms of both volume and cost. Two weeks is a more reasonable expectation for most families. It's also not a buy-once and forget it thing. Food items eventually expire, and rotating stock by buying new stuffs and eating the older ones is part of the process, unless you feel fiscally comfortable in donating the items to a charity or tossing them in the trash.
A 90-day supply of freeze-dried food that will last for 20 years, given appropriate 70 Deg storage is surprisingly small. # 10 steel cans only; foil pouches not so long-lasting.

One WILL need potable water to re-constitute freeze-dried items, but one will also need water to simply survive.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Two weeks is incredibly better than nothing.

Yes, rotating and donating when having expired stuff is part of the process.

The important thing is to HAVE some kind of prep process.......even if modest.

And yes, most of us will die. We're all hoping to delay that as much as we can.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
Two weeks is incredibly better than nothing.

Yes, rotating and donating when having expired stuff is part of the process.

The important thing is to HAVE some kind of prep process.......even if modest.

And yes, most of us will die. We're all hoping to delay that as much as we can.
ALL of us will die. Concur with delaying such as much as possible.

Having decent preps allows one to not die prematurely, nor allowing one's family to die prematurely.

As is said: "Timing is EVERYTHING"

1 - 20 of 67 Posts