Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range last weekend to try out a Detonics Combat Master and a Colt Officer's Model .45. It took a while to get used to the Detonics' 6 round grip, but I found the firearm to be very accurate to 25 yards.

The Colt, on the other hand was spraying shots everywhere. I liked the grip in my hands better, but the shots were not hitting the target. (Neither of these weapons have been fired in years btw). Out of 25 shots, the Officer's model maybe hit the paper 4 times.

Do you all think this could be ammunition (blazer) or something mechanical?

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sounds like it may be a problem with both. The only thing I would rate Blazer ammo as is cheap. Now for the gun. If the Colt was over lubed and greased, then put away for an extended time, I would check the locking lugs for any undue residue or buildup causing erattic lockup. Also check the link for excess play.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have seen a many worn out barrel bushings replaced on the 1911 and it really made a difference in the accuracy. They are also inexpensive,your Colt is capable of much better accuracy than that. Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I always recommend a thorough cleaning as first order of business when a gun isn't working as it should. If that doesn't do it, then check barrel bushing for damage or excessive looseness. Next try the barrel link. See if the slide rattles on the frame too much. Make sure the barrel isn't bulged from being fired with an obstruction (like a cleaning patch).

If this doesn't fix it I am out of suggestions and you may need professional help. (A gun smith, not the other kind.)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I too am a firm believer in a clean weapon before firing. I'd take
a gander at the lock-up, barrel link and pin, bushing, frame to
slide clearence and {it's possible} a bad barrel. I'd also try good
230 military ball down the pipe and see where ya place.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have seen a many worn out barrel bushings replaced on the 1911 and it really made a difference in the accuracy. They are also inexpensive,your Colt is capable of much better accuracy than that. Hope this helps.
IIRC, Officers models do not have barrel bushings!

Clean it up real good paying attention to the areas already described. Bring it in closer to 12 or 15 yards and bench it and see where it prints on paper. Could be a lot of things, crown damage, bore pitting, sight adjustment, poor grip, poor trigger. Bringing it in closer lets you see if its you or the gun. Try different ammo too.

Put a five inch Bar sto barrel in it and watch it come alive!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Edward, My officers model and every other officers model that I have ever seen have a barrel bushing. It's shorter in lenth than the bushings on the full size models. It is possible that the officers model you saw had a bull barrel without the bushing.
I just fit a new bushing to mine and it improved the accuracy.
Another problem could be a damaged crown on the barrel.
Best wishes to all, John K :usa:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hmmm, No tapered barrel from the factory? Must've been an aftermarket barrel and I didnt realize what I was looking at.

As for the thread, clean it and all that like suggested but try different ammo in it before going further mechanically. It might just not like that ammo you fed it. A different brand may give results as different as night & day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I were experiencing the accuracy problems with one of my colt auto's that you are, here's what I'd try.
First clean and assemble keeping the pistol empty, press down on the barell in the chamber area. You should have no more downward movement than than 1/128". If you do, replacing the link pin is in order.
Second, get ahold of a collet bushing, cheap at any gun shop. Fit the new bushing and fire. If that solves the problem, remove the collet bushing throw it into you tool box, and get a match bushing installed.
If that doesn't solve the problem check the engagement of your barrel lugs with the slide.
Hope that helps, Good thing about Colt .45's, there is no problem that you can't solve

·
Registered
88 Posts
be part of the barrel's locking up. It locks up by the fit of the lower lugs on the slidestop. The link is strictly for UNlocking the gun. Links wear quickly if they are the source of lockup. Too long a link like that, typically causes feeding problems. Too long a link contributes to the slide's "dragging" the barrel forward during the forward stroke of the slide. That barrel should STAY back against the feed ramp, until the breechface contacts the barrel hood. If it doesn't , either your link is too long, or the bushing-barrel contact is too "heavy", back on the part of the barrel that has no bushing contact when the slide is fully-forward.

Take a look in the bore. It might be badly fouled. Personally,I'd suspect that I was flinching. A bad trigger pull, numerous things can make you flinch worse with one gun than with a similar one. Get another good shooter, try firing with both wrists between knees, back against a tree, with match ammo, better ear and eye protection. Me, I just clamp it into my Lee Machine Rest, and then I know what' s what.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts