• UMC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remington

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dave3006, what's your source for the ammo? Nice price. A little letter than I did last weekend at the gun show; $145 for 1000, delivered. Mine was new (not military) PMP in 20 round boxes with the antelope on it.

BTW, I am ordering 3 Promag Mini 14 10 round magazines from Mark Gleason at fourfourmag.com. They should arrive the tend of next week I estimate.

The Ultra Dot red dot sight I ordered arrived last night and I installed it. Looks pretty good. Hope I can check it out this weekend but the forecast is rain.....:(

·
Registered
160 Posts
From my limited experience, this poll will not get representative info on what we're shooting. I know a bunch of folks use Wolf or other Russian ammo, and "military surplus" is way too broad a term. Also, many of us use foreign ammo not neccesarily military.

I use PMP .223 55 gr JBT, current manufacture (not military).

A better pole might be:

Win
Rem
Fed
Horn
person handloads
3 D
other US remanufactured
US mil surplus

Wolf
S & B
SA PMP mil surplus
SA PMP commercial
Other offshore mil surplus
Other offshore commercial/sporting

Well, that would get better info, but it is a HUGE survey screen, so maybe the original poll is okay after all!

:D

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
A lot of the brands I see mentioned in the responses are, I believe, carrying steel bullets that are merely copper washed. I checked the Russian stuff with a magnet and then sawed one in half and it was solid steel as I suspected. I always assumed that shooting steel bullets was harmful to the barrel.....not to mention a bit dangerous re: ricochets etc....????? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Satan2655
Wolf, Barnaul, Remington, Hornady, American Eagle, and some South African (Don't know the brand on that stuff)
One brand of the SA stuff is "PMP". There might be others, but that's what I bought a week or two again.

Who makes Barnaul?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Barnaul is Russian, made by JSC Barnaul Machine-Tool Plant. Box has a pic of a dude with a cowboy hat sitting down, firing a rifle. Kind of a light blue box with Red and white lettering.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Gents, New to Forum..... As for my Mini, I give it a steady diet of Federal 5.56 Ball. This 55 grain boa-tail has a rather loud report as well as blast...:) I also use PMC, PMP (South Africa) and rather large amounts of SS109 from various manufactures. I have come to understand recently that 5.56 and .223 are not identical in every aspect I have read however, that a 1 in 9 twist, is appropiate enough to use this Military round. I am glad that I found this forum!!

Larry C.;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Tady45
...... I have come to understand recently that 5.56 and .223 are not identical in every aspect I have read however, that a 1 in 9 twist, is appropiate enough to use this Military round. I am glad that I found this forum!!

Larry C.;)
Have you tried any of the heavier bullets? If so, how do they perform?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Satan2655
Box has a pic of a dude with a cowboy hat sitting down, firing a rifle.
Who are those guys trying to fool?! Russian COWBOYS for heaven's sake! :cool:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I shoot Winchester 45GR JHP Varment ammo. I like the 6 hollowpoint tip rounds because they really hit hard and do a LOT of dammage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mostly I buy brass (new or surplus) and load my own. When I buy commecial ammo, it's almost always UMC. I tried Wolf. It was OK, but I can't reload it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So far, only Wolf in my Mini-30. I just ordered Banaul from Dan's ammo.
I've been waiting for CTDirt to get some Sellier&Bellot 7.62x39. Well, they just did, but to my disappointment it is steel cased and berdan primed just like the Wolf and Barnaul! AND it's twice the price! Who has the cheapest boxer primed 7.62x39?????
J2H

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been happy with PMP's .223 ammo. That's the SoAfrican stuff. Cost is about $150 per 1000 rounds. It is reloadable.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I used PMP in my Colt HBAR and had a consistant jamming problem I wouldn't trust it again. The South African surplus I have used worked well. I got it in the 300 round battle packs.

I use Wolf in my mini-30 and S&B and was diappointed to find it was also steel cased and didn't look as well made as the Wolf ammo.

I also use UMC and other American brands I will try a few boxes of everything till I get ammo that shots well and is affordable.

TC

:cannon:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I've tried Federal Prem. Shoots great but , can't afford those; 55 gr sft.pt. remington, not much to brag about, winchester 45 gr varmint, shot poor till I beded my stock, and fire laped my barrel, now shoots 1 1/2" groups at 100yd, Barnauls shot ok, but can't reload brass. Am currently working on reloads. Will post when I earn some bragging rights.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts