Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a make a Ruger Mini Tactical be converted to NY / CT compliant?

If so,

what is the least expensive way to make a Ruger Mini Tactical NY / CT compliant?

What are the options?
1. Remove threads and re-crown? Can that be done without removing the Barrel?
2. Cut the flash hider down so that you can still screw on to the end and pin / solder it? (I am thinking this is the least expensive, but not sure if it is compliant.
3. others

Looking forward to your responses.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You are allowed 1 evil feature as the libs like to call it. But with 1 evil feature it has to be registered. Pinning a threaded cap on the end of the barrel would probably be the cheapest way to go. I was planning on sending my ranch rifle to Gundoc for barrel cut and threading so I could install a flash hider. Glad I didn't do it now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave S., thanks for the feedback. I need to clarify my question. Not to make it compliant, but featureless so it would not require registration.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
The Ruger mini 14 tactical is specifically listed as a banned weapon. You can't make it un-banned because it is specifically listed by brand and model and has nothing to do with the generic/cosmetic features part of the bill.

Question now is, what do you do with all these banned weapons?

"Possession of assault weapons is prohibited, except for those legally possessed on January 15, 2013 and registered with the state by January 15, 2014. Possession of magazines that hold more than ten rounds is prohibited, but a maximum of only seven rounds may legally be loaded in a magazine; .22 caliber tubular magazines are exempt from the limit. New York City, Buffalo, Albany, and Rochester have enacted their own assault weapon bans.".

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Get a Ranch Rifle in the flavor you prefer (i.e., blued/synthetic), then send it to GunDoc to have the barrel cut and crowned to 16.5".

Honestly, though, without the flash hider, what's the point of buying a Tactical in the first place? You can have the barrel cut and crowned for less than the price difference between the RR and Tac.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hottarod & COBrien, thanks for the feedback. I need to clarify my question some more.

I am interested in Ct law only.

hottarod, the Ruger mini 14 tactical is not listed specifically listed by brand and model in CT. It's one "evil" feature makes it now Ban.

COBrien, the reason I puchased the Mini 30 Tac was not for the flash hider, but because of the 16" barrel.

How can I make it featureless so it would not require registration. Just removing the Flash hider does not make it featureless because of the threaded barrel. I was thinking I could cut the flash hider down to the threads and pin the remainder. Would that accomplish what I am after?

·
Registered
258 Posts
As long as it is permanent you shoul be OK. I live in NY so there could be some differances between the 2 states. Its hard to beleive its OK to own a rifle with a black synthetic stock in NY or Ct.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
hottarod & COBrien, thanks for the feedback. I need to clarify my question some more.

I am interested in Ct law only.

hottarod, the Ruger mini 14 tactical is not listed specifically listed by brand and model in CT. It's one "evil" feature makes it now Ban.

COBrien, the reason I puchased the Mini 30 Tac was not for the flash hider, but because of the 16" barrel.

How can I make it featureless so it would not require registration. Just removing the Flash hider does not make it featureless because of the threaded barrel. I was thinking I could cut the flash hider down to the threads and pin the remainder. Would that accomplish what I am after?

If it is legal for you to have a muzzlebrake, install one of those and have it tack welded in place. If not, you can have a thread protector installed and welded on. Have the work done by an experience gunsmith or metal worker so that the barrel doesn't get ruined (heat damaged) during the job. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.