Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to pick up some ammo and see which one my 580 ranch digest the best. What kind of group can you get from your favorite round? THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
My Mini has gobbled up everything I've ever fed it (brass-cased, American-made ammo only).

My favorite range ammo is Federal or American Eagle XM193 (55 gr. FMJ).

My favorite hunting/varmint ammo is Hornady V-Max 53 gr.

Can't be specific on group sizes, as my Mini hasn't shot at paper in quite awhile. If I do my part, it'll shoot minute-of-jackrabbit at least.

·
Registered
344 Posts
1977 mini-14 and have never shot anything but milsurp through it. Sometimes my 100 yard groups are squirrel size, sometimes they are raccoon size, I think that is mostly on me and my shooting than it is the gun or the ammo although I have shot some old dirty Korean stuff that was bad no matter how I shot that day. For iron sights I can't ask for much more than that with that gun and my old eyeballs. I won't be putting a scope on it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Mine eats anything including steel case Tulammo .223. Never had a failure of any kind. Hard for me to say about how that ammo impacts accuracy, but I'll be working on that.

·
Registered
623 Posts
PMC 223 works real well.

Koreans make damn good ammo, and movies.

The man form nowhere was awesome. The good the bad and the weried was even better. Old boy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance about the best movie I have ever seen.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a 1:7 twist 186-series so it tends to like the heavier stuff. I've had great results with Armscor 62gr and PMC M855, keeping a 30rd magazine in the 9-ring or better at 75-100yds. I wasn't shooting 5 shot groups for accuracy that time, just looking for consistency and having fun, as well as looking for heat-stringing after adding my barrel stabilizer.

I doubt I'll try the light grain ammo, though she shoots 55gr just fine. I have noticed that even with the Mo-Rod and a flash hider, the 55gr rounds groups tend to open up a bit more regardless of brand. I just loaded up some 69gr SMK rounds with Varget so I'm interested in seeing how that weight works for me.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
62 grain!

I cut my 195 series ranch to 16.25" and put a flash hider on. Then I needed a scope, then to get a bit better I went to those 62 FBI training hollow point penetration rounds. Then I got some Milsurp 62 grain green tips and they performed better than the 55 grain also. I'm staying with 62 grain bullets for this rifle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
....I just loaded up some 69gr SMK rounds with Varget so I'm interested in seeing how that weight works for me.
Do keep us appraised on your results with this bullet. I'm hoping to brew a nice load with that pill, too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Plus one on the Fiocchi 50 grain V-Max. Good stuff, but don't buy any right now. I can't find any of it anywhere!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Actually, the best accuracy with my Mini 14, is with the hand loads I put together.
I use a 64 grain Winchester SP in new Hornady cases. The powder is H335.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ya I was afraid of this and its all your fault breckenridge!

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)mine used to run good on pmc 55 gr. stuff,but they ran even better on my handloads!:)

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Start testing what is easy to get and shoot 45 gr to 69 gr, common brands of 55 gr. Best thing to do if you don't reload, try to tune your rifle to the most common ammo, adjust gas block, add a strut, trigger job, bedding or shimming.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am stuck with 6 boxes of this stuff. Quality seems to have gone south...:huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
These are all 50 yard groups, but you get the idea. The Fiocchi was the only store ammo that gets me anywhere near the results I get hand loading.

On Target software says this is actually a .684" group (1.3 MOA):

.295 inches (0.56 MOA):

1 - 20 of 21 Posts