Perfect Union banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The NRA synopsis mentions "a model of the mini 14" and the mini 14 is in the old ban, so logic dictates she had no reason to remove it. Then the question is, what is a "conversion kit" and does it include an evil stock for the already evil mini 14, should the mini somehow escape the final list? If the stock collapses or folds, i suspect it does. The whole thing is specualtion at the moment, but I say the NRA has a battle on its hands and we can support it or just sit back and watch, which is mostly all that's left once you've done all the writing and calling you can.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
32 Posts
The NRA synopsis mentions "a model of the mini 14" and the mini 14 is in the old ban, so logic dictates she had no reason to remove it. Then the question is, what is a "conversion kit" and does it include an evil stock for the already evil mini 14, should the mini somehow escape the final list? If the stock collapses or folds, i suspect it does. The whole thing is specualtion at the moment, but I say the NRA has a battle on its hands and we can support it or just sit back and watch, which is mostly all that's left once you've done all the writing and calling you can.

God Bless!

Ron
Mini-14 wasnt in the original ban.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here is the link to the NRA website and DF's new AWB.

NRA-ILA | Feinstein Goes For Broke With New Gun-Ban Bill

As you will see, the Ruger Mini-14 has now been clearly defined as one of the "BAD" semi-auto's.

To my knowledge, in the original AWB, the Mini-14 was not listed specificly.

The politicians of this country do not represent the people of this country, they represent themselves and nothing more. Look at their wealth, that in itself, is a clear indication of how disconnected they are from the people they are suppose to represent. And they will make decision's whether right or wrong, to ensure that they keep building that wealth.

The last thing they want, is to lose money by casting the wrong vote. We must though, write them to let them know where we stand. The letter's must be clear and well thought out. The last thing you want them reading, you'll only get my gun, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

I think, as firearm owners, our best bet to stop Dianne Feinstein and her new AWB is to support the NRA in whatever way we can. The NRA is in the thick of things and are slugging it out in the trenches against the gun grabbers of this country. They really are our last line of defense.

Unfortunately, the gun grabbing politician's have the Media, which they use to scare the general population, with twisted fact's, myth's and bold ass lies. And what really has my attention, not only is it a very, well organized assault on the legal gun owners of this country (who have done nothing wrong). The Federal Government is also wanting to reach into our home's and strip us of our personal items, that we have used our hard earned money to pay for.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Earlier this year, The list for the proposed reinstatement of the ban had the mini 14 on it. It's possible they have narrowed it to the tactical version for this iteration. It doesn't really matter. they have it covered under the military and law enforcement rebuttal clause. The way it's written, ANY gun EVER issued to those two is now banned for having no legitimate sporting use. Either way, I agree with PDXS3T...do the things he listed and hang on.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Instead of two evil characteristics like flash hider, bayonet lug, pistol grip, able to accept 10+ round detachable mags, etc. the proposed ban now includes all guns with only ONE of those evil characteristics. By allowing for two characteristics the manufacturers got around the first AWB by milling off lugs or eliminating flash suppressers and you could still have an AR of sorts or a Mini-14.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe the last time this country was so polarized by an issue of ownership( right or wrong) was in the 1860's, and we all know the road the country took for resolution. Not what any of us want, but...and this we will defend. Remember, freedom is not free.
Eric

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Mini-14 wasnt in the original ban.
The mini 14 was on the first proposed list but was dropped before passage. Bill Ruger instigated a company policy to not sell high cap mags to civilians. This was the reason that the mini was dropped from the list. That is also why there are alot of factory high cap mags with the inscription "Law enforcement Only", which indicates a post ban mag. Ruger didn't sell high cap mini mags from about 1990 to 2005.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I believe the last time this country was so polarized by an issue of ownership (right or wrong) was in the 1860's, and we all know the road the country took for resolution. Not what any of us want, but...and this we will defend. Remember, freedom is not free.
That's what worries me too C. We all rallied our friends and wrote a lot of letters to Congress about Hussein Obamacare, but they shoved that up our rears despite clear and significant opposition by the voting public. Gun control has nowhere near that much opposition. Not good news. I don't see any evidence that our representatives give a damn what we think. They clearly care what the media thinks though. More bad news.

I write an average of two letters a week to my Congressmen. A few weeks later I get a form letter that first states how much they care about my issue, and then continuing to explain and rationalize their opinion I wrote to oppose. Never once have I seen a vote changed in favor of the view I support. The media speaks of voter disenfranchisement in terms of minorities and the poor, but I too am completely disenfranchised. I have lived in Ohio for most of my life and as you all know, the balance between left and right is very close here. Maybe it's time I move to Oklahoma?

This is the exact situation the Founders foresaw when writing and ratifying the Second Amendment. It's not about hunting or self-defense, it's about preserving liberty and freedom from tyranny. Our liberty is swirling around the bowl as I type and it's final destination is down the sewer. I'm sure you all know Patrick Henry's immortal words. Give me liberty too. Seems to me like the time is approaching rapidly.

If there is still hope of avoiding another uncivilized civil war, now is the time to impress upon everyone around you, right and left alike, that restricting our Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms as completely unacceptable. The arguments of the ruling class and gun control types are weak and easily defeated. Gun control gets momentum because it is so rarely opposed in their circles. Get in their face now though and there is hope.

Adding laws impacts only law abiding citizens. Criminals will continue to have and use guns to commit crimes. That very scenario plays out in virtually every example from Chicago to DC to the UK. Arm yourself with statistics and get in the argument with a liberal near you now. The next step is uncivilized.

Nobody is in favor of crime and dead kids bring everyone to their knees, but taking guns from law abiding citizens is not the answer. Why should the feds take my Mini 14 because a man in Connecticut kills 20 kids? By the same token, should all dump trucks be taken by the feds because one ran a stop sign, hit a school bus and killed 20 kids? Or should the feds take all the alcohol because one drunk driver drove through a crowd on the sidewalk and killed 20 kids? We all feel terrible for the families in Newtown, but taking away my Mini 14 or my AR-14 or anything I own is not the answer. Stand strong now.

I often hear that we need to lock up crazies like the man in Newtown. The media portrays him as a kid, but he was a 20 year old man, not a kid. Don't fall for that. And does anyone really believe progressives will lock up "crazies?" These are the same progressives that made insanity a right and emptied mental institutions across the country. The criminal in Newtown as Asberger's Syndrome and was not a rambling lunatic. There is no chance progressives would lock up every (or any!) person with Asberger's, autism, borderline, bi-polar, depression and a host of other common disorders. That is not the objective of the gun control type. It's not about guns, it's about control.

Fight now in the realm of words and ideas before the still free among us must take up arms.

·
Registered
602 Posts
One of my favorite Thomas Jefferson Quotes.
"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add “within the limits of the law,” because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. "

The man was absoulity brilliant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is only my second post on this site, but I have been reading here for quite some time. Let me start by saying that I am a FFL dealer. My screen name is an abbreviation of my sporting goods company.

I have read countless posts from paranoid gun owners that think that their guns will be confiscated by the Feds after a ban is enacted. This is simply impossible to achieve. How many people think that if they buy a gun from a dealer, that it is a "registered" gun? Not so. When a NICS check is performed by a dealer, it is only to verify that the buyer is legally capable of purchasing a firearm. NO SPECIFIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE FIREARM IS ACTUALLY TRANSMITTED TO THE FBI, BATFE OR ANY OTHER GOVERNMENT ANGENCY.

The paperwork is held and stored by the dealer for 20 years and then can be destroyed. If the gun is never reported stolen, never reported lost or never used in a crime, the FEDS have no way of knowing what gun owners actually have in thier possession. All they know is that you attempted to purchase a firearm, but they could not be able to tell if it was a mini-14, a 10/22 or a shotgun. The notion of "databases" and widespread confiscation of banned guns is just paranoia and outright silly.

I will grant, however, some States do have their own registration policies and may be capable of tracking firearms sales. BUT, there are very few States that require this information from dealers, which leaves the majority of the U.S. in the clear.

My view on gun control is simple. More restrictions on firearms only hurts law abiding citizens. Criminals don't care if the gun that they are using is on Feinstein's list or not.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
I will grant, however, some States do have their own registration policies and may be capable of tracking firearms sales. BUT, there are very few States that require this information from dealers, which leaves the majority of the U.S. in the clear.
CA is one of those
Beginning Jan 1, 2014, long gun information must be
collected in the DROS process and sent to CA-DOJ,
reported to CA-DOJ by people who move into California from out of state,
reported to CA-DOJ as part of intrafamilial transfers

·
Registered
56 Posts
CA is one of those
Beginning Jan 1, 2014, long gun information must be
collected in the DROS process and sent to CA-DOJ,
reported to CA-DOJ by people who move into California from out of state,
reported to CA-DOJ as part of intrafamilial transfers
Weep for California. The changes underway in that state will never be able to be undone.

·
Mike
1 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth, but before that kid murdered all those first graders and some faculty at that school, he killed a law abiding, taxpaying gun owner, and took her guns to that school to finish the job. Although unlikely, it could happen again even after this new AWB becomes law.
A trigger lock is at worst an inconvenience to a thief, or a pissed off family member. A gun safe is the best way to protect YOUR property, and the living. As long as the gun owner is the only person who has access to the weapons, the world is a safer place. Once access to the weapons are compromised, the gun owner no longer has control, and liability must fall with the them.
The second amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms. It says nothing about the responsibility to keep our arms out of the hands of idiots. If we cannot control the weapons we have, then we don’t deserve them.
I am a card carrying member of the NRA, and a military veteran. All of my weapons are semi-automatic. A Ruger mini 14 and 10-22, a Remington 1100 20 gauge and a Sig Sauer P2022 9mm. I do not own a gun safe, and what happened at that elementary school scared the crap out of me. I have 2 sons about the same age as that murdering kid. It’s my responsibility to keep my property out of the hands of lunatics. The government made sure I was not a threat when I purchased these guns. Now it looks like the government wants to ensure guns like mine do not have the capacity to hold more than 10 rounds. If they let me keep my semi-automatic guns, then I have no problem with a limited number of rounds.
Look, it was fun preparing for the Zombie apocalypse, but come on, really….. So your ammo last you a little bit longer with smaller clips, or you have to put your factory stock back on your gun. If this is the least they ask for, then I will consider myself lucky. They could neuter our gun by making us weld up the gas port to make it a single shot.
A new AWB will be in place sooner than later. Those of us who live where really cool guns are only available on youtube have already accepted 10 round magazines, bullet buttons and pre-ban accessories as the norm. Things are going to get a lot worse. I am sure the gun manufacturers will do everything they can to answer the restrictions Obama’s congress will impose on us.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth, but before that kid murdered all those first graders and some faculty at that school, he killed a law abiding, taxpaying gun owner, and took her guns to that school to finish the job. Although unlikely, it could happen again even after this new AWB becomes law.
A trigger lock is at worst an inconvenience to a thief, or a pissed off family member. A gun safe is the best way to protect YOUR property, and the living. As long as the gun owner is the only person who has access to the weapons, the world is a safer place. Once access to the weapons are compromised, the gun owner no longer has control, and liability must fall with the them.
The second amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms. It says nothing about the responsibility to keep our arms out of the hands of idiots. If we cannot control the weapons we have, then we don't deserve them.
I am a card carrying member of the NRA, and a military veteran. All of my weapons are semi-automatic. A Ruger mini 14 and 10-22, a Remington 1100 20 gauge and a Sig Sauer P2022 9mm. I do not own a gun safe, and what happened at that elementary school scared the crap out of me. I have 2 sons about the same age as that murdering kid. It's my responsibility to keep my property out of the hands of lunatics. The government made sure I was not a threat when I purchased these guns. Now it looks like the government wants to ensure guns like mine do not have the capacity to hold more than 10 rounds. If they let me keep my semi-automatic guns, then I have no problem with a limited number of rounds.
Look, it was fun preparing for the Zombie apocalypse, but come on, really….. So your ammo last you a little bit longer with smaller clips, or you have to put your factory stock back on your gun. If this is the least they ask for, then I will consider myself lucky. They could neuter our gun by making us weld up the gas port to make it a single shot.
A new AWB will be in place sooner than later. Those of us who live where really cool guns are only available on youtube have already accepted 10 round magazines, bullet buttons and pre-ban accessories as the norm. Things are going to get a lot worse. I am sure the gun manufacturers will do everything they can to answer the restrictions Obama's congress will impose on us.
I live in Ca too. Giving into a national law just because we already cant play with certain toys is crap. This could also take away our bullet buttons. If national law becomes stricter than our state laws your sig may be the next target... look at good ol' San Fran before you say it cant happen

·
Registered
56 Posts
The second amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms. It says nothing about the responsibility to keep our arms out of the hands of idiots. If we cannot control the weapons we have, then we don’t deserve them.
I am a card carrying member of the NRA, and a military veteran. All of my weapons are semi-automatic. A Ruger mini 14 and 10-22, a Remington 1100 20 gauge and a Sig Sauer P2022 9mm. I do not own a gun safe, and what happened at that elementary school scared the crap out of me. I have 2 sons about the same age as that murdering kid. It’s my responsibility to keep my property out of the hands of lunatics. The government made sure I was not a threat when I purchased these guns. Now it looks like the government wants to ensure guns like mine do not have the capacity to hold more than 10 rounds. If they let me keep my semi-automatic guns, then I have no problem with a limited number of rounds.
A new AWB will be in place sooner than later. Those of us who live where really cool guns are only available on youtube have already accepted 10 round magazines, bullet buttons and pre-ban accessories as the norm. Things are going to get a lot worse. I am sure the gun manufacturers will do everything they can to answer the restrictions Obama’s congress will impose on us.
If we do end up with another ban it will be largely attributable to the type of resignation exemplified in this gentleman's post.

Let us not be too reasonable in self-infringing on our right to KEEP and BEAR arms. With respect to normal capacity magazines and their utility I'll pass the mic over to the much more capable Massad Ayoob: http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/Mass...utm_campaign=Feed:+MassadAyoob+(Massad+Ayoob)

All the best for a 2013 marked by liberty and peace.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have already written to my senators and House reps and the white house against ALL gun control.
And now your in yet another database:ph34r: I have also wrote some letters. This is bad legislation that I do not support. What else can we do. Show them at the polls next time around. Vote anyone that supports this legislation out of office the first chance we get.

If this passes and becomes law each and every one of us that is affected by it will have to make some decisions. Either follow the law and turn them in or register them or not. One thing I do know, this country sure has changed a bunch since I was born and IMO not for the better. As much as I don't want to see it, lately I have been feeling like the best thing that could happen is the bottom fall out from under us and we hit with the big splat, the sooner that happens the sooner those that are left can start rebuilding.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If we do end up with another ban it will be largely attributable to the type of resignation exemplified in this gentleman's post.

Let us not be too reasonable in self-infringing on our right to KEEP and BEAR arms. With respect to normal capacity magazines and their utility I'll pass the mic over to the much more capable Massad Ayoob: Massad Ayoob » Blog Archive » WHY GOOD PEOPLE NEED SEMIAUTOMATIC FIREARMS AND

All the best for a 2013 marked by liberty and peace.
I read that a couple days ago, thats a good piece and what the people I have trained with have said for a number of years. As far as magazine capacity's go, I have also been taught that at certain times when a person is in a defensive situation, going on the offense and taking the fight to the threat is sometimes the best coarse of action and a 20 or 30 round magazine in a carbine can make the difference between coming out on top or taking a dirt nap.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts