Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rhetorical question to ask ourselves.

I see on facebook, on many forums and in conversation at work, the generally most prevelent reaction to the gun control lobby.

It is panic buying.

Ask yourself this question, "Am I worried about the constitution or about my stuff?" I'm serious.

If the answer is the first one and even if it's mostly the second one, it is time to get off the individual stuff-protection bandwagon and get on the white house petition site and the sites of your state's Senators and Reps in the house. Seriously.

Stockpiling for SHTF if you are a prepper should be the LAST thing you are doing right now. It should be adequate already. If you are NOT a prepper, you don't have time now anyway. Make a plan for what you have and get politically involved before the constitution itself becomes the collateral damage for the impulse buying.

Feeding the media in a crazy way is not what we need. Get what you need if you can afford it and get involved in the process that actually determines if you are going to get to keep it. You have nothing to lose by trying and nothing to gain if you don't.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Gotta disagree..
Its foolish to think they listen and willing to abandon their agenda because you left a message that some intern is going to erase.

Yet, if they even mention the idea of control, tens of thousands firearms, ammo, magazines, and other accessories are sold. New records are set with background checks, including women.. Much more powerful than an email. Its putting your money where your mouth is. It's action, and its louder than words.

P.S. The Constitution as intended has been dead for over a hundred years. I doubt more than 5% of the population even understand it.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Coming from someone who lives in an as-if-the-ban-still-existed state, I am not worried right now. My mini is completely "feature-less" and is for all intents and purposes a semi auto hunting rifle with a removable 5-round magazine, which I shoot slow fire at the range for groups. I agree that the assault weapons definition of having pistol grips, flash hiders, and bayonet lugs is silly - does that really matter?? But as far as high capacity magazines go, in my humble opinion, does that really matter to you guys? I don't know about you all but I'd rather not be blasting off $15-20 a pop in a mag to go plinking. Nor do I want to burn out the throat of my rifle by overheating it with a mag dump.

I don't know.. I'm halfway on this. Flame me away, but I don't think reasonable legislation is bad, and I know it won't help whats already out there or the real problem which is illegal guns or use of them, but still..

·
American realist
316 Posts
But as far as high capacity magazines go, in my humble opinion, does that really matter to you guys? I don't know about you all but I'd rather not be blasting off $15-20 a pop in a mag to go plinking. Nor do I want to burn out the throat of my rifle by overheating it with a mag dump.
it matters to me. now, i dont rattle off full mags dumps (ammo is too expensive) or shoot so fast that i overheat my rifles, but i do like the 20-30 rd mags.

i look at it this way; do you ever take any long trips in the car? i do. my car has a 20 gal tank & one trip i take i can make the whole round trip if i fill up before i leave home. it would be a pain in the butt if that tank was swapped out for a 5 gal fuel cell due to some stupid govt regulation. travelling the same distance at the same speed, i would have to stop 3 extra times & fill the tank up. does this have any effect on my mileage or the hydrocarbons my exhaust emit into the atmosphere? no. it really doesnt add much more time to the length of the trip, its just an unnecessary inconvenience that doesnt make sense. same with mags. if i had 3 ten rd mags & was timed shooting, i could rattle off the 30 shots with only a few seconds added for the 2 mag swaps as i could with a single 30 rd mag.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Lotta new preppers lately. I think secession is the best answer. Let the coasts have their way and leave the rest of the country to us producers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As for the Mini-14, it has been named specifically in Dianne Feinstein's new AWB as a bad gun. So there is reason to worry. And if you read, what she is bringing to the table on January 3, 2013, its scary.

When the Fed's are stating, my personal property will be given to them upon my death, I have issue's with that. As we all should! Since when does the Government have the right to take personal property?

I have worked hard all my life. I've spent my money on many different things. Firearms are one of them. I did not buy what I have, to give to the fed's when I pass. Things will be left to my children, and it will be their decision on what to do with things.

So its not only the 2nd Amendment that is being attacked, but our own personal property that is also being confiscated if we give in to what is being proposed, here very soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here's what I posit. We like guns. When there is anything we can use to justify buying guns we'll take advantage of it.

Wife thinks you've hit quota for the year? This is a perfect opportunity for you to sell her on why the quota should be increased. There's a LOT of rationalization going on out there that's driving this rush on guns.

I'm not saying it's perhaps not justified this time. But I think paying $1,000 today for a bone stock Mini-14 is cooky.

We'll see what happens. Hopefully our politicians don't cave.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just to be clear--I think this legislation that's been proposed is absolute horse hockey. I support NO restrictions on firearm ownership.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ONLY legislation I can remotely suppport is the NICS for private sales. I can't think of any reason not to do this, if we are claiming we want to do our best at keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals and crazies. At a gun show, i don't know who is either one. No other new legislation makes any sense at all to me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
While reasonable sounding in the surface, I think NICS checks provide a pathway to future national registration/confiscation, etc. No--I'm not a black helicopter guy. Just look at what's going on right now for insight in to what the anti-gunners want to do. I think background checks are a joke and can always be circumvented via straw buyers, black market, etc. As always--criminals will not be deterred or impacted.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since I buy most of my guns at walmart, i am already in the data base. As a veteran, because of my last few years and the jobs i had, i am already in another data base. I am not hiding, nor am i able to hide without significant difficulty or expense. So, my perspective may be a little skewed. To me, I see no real downside to using the system already in place to make sure the people it was intended to weed out might get weeded out. I realize they can cicumnavigate it, but don't see a gun show as a problem...it's easy enough to implement and could buy us back all the rest of the rights we are about to lose if it all goes sideways. The current gallup poll shows undeniable public support and lack of support for the AWB.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159569/americans-stricter-gun-laws-oppose-bans.aspx

·
Registered
56 Posts
I appreciate your view. I'm a veteran as well and, having purchased all my firearms in California, I too am in every database. Going forward, I think the important thing to do is to avoid ALL concessions.

Also, as long as there is means to buy and sell without a NICS process (in TN for example via private sale) there is always uncertainty at the Big Brother level as to who has what where.

Check out the writings of Boston T. Party. Good stuff from a libertarian perspective. Really helped expand my view.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have already written to my senators and House reps and the white house against ALL gun control. My support of the NICS for gun shows is extremely worst-case scenario in the event we can't get all of it squashed. I fear we will get more than just that in the final version though.

Here's a cool study from 2004...you can see there is nothing new under the sun by reading this one...lol:

GUN CONTROL FACT-SHEET (2004) - Gun Owners of America

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
478 Posts
Coming from someone who lives in an as-if-the-ban-still-existed state, I am not worried right now. My mini is completely "feature-less" and is for all intents and purposes a semi auto hunting rifle with a removable 5-round magazine, which I shoot slow fire at the range for groups. I agree that the assault weapons definition of having pistol grips, flash hiders, and bayonet lugs is silly - does that really matter?? But as far as high capacity magazines go, in my humble opinion, does that really matter to you guys? I don't know about you all but I'd rather not be blasting off $15-20 a pop in a mag to go plinking. Nor do I want to burn out the throat of my rifle by overheating it with a mag dump.

I don't know.. I'm halfway on this. Flame me away, but I don't think reasonable legislation is bad, and I know it won't help whats already out there or the real problem which is illegal guns or use of them, but still..
I was a NYC resident when the city proposed the first AW bans. I attended the Public Safety meetings, spoke my piece about why it was a bad idea.
All of the points against enacting the ban were totally ignored and the ban was passed.

I ended up losing several firearms to the ban despite working for the PD and had to move out of NYC to keep anything else I owned.

Strangely, crime only increased into the 90's. NYC is only a place I work in, no longer a city I care about anymore. Innocents will continue to suffer and I will waste time knocking on the doors of permit holders to make sure they are in compliance with the AW laws.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A REASONABLE BAN. They will just keep adding regulations by fiat (try buying a pre-ban magazine by mail; they're legal to own but Spitzer would sue anyone shipping them here) till you choke on them.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If a NICS has been done and the sale is denied for a felon attempting to posess a gun is it reported to the cops to come out and arrest him? No. Their answer: we don't have enough jail space, we don't have the cops to spare, etc. so they don't bother with the laws already on the books until they WANT to enforce them. Registration has always lead to confiscation eventually. It's just a matter of time, maybe years but eventually.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Model for preparedness is the police.

If you're happy with 5-10 rd mags thats fine. My responsibility is to be prepared. Prepared to face daily challenges and pursue happiness. I look at my constitution and bill of rights as simple set of rules to ensure the environment exists for us to do just that. If I want to accomplish a task I look at the professionals who do that task as a matter of their chosen profession. The police see fit to carry hi capacity magazines, AR rifles, and sub guns, for the purpose of providing them with the necessary force to overcome the bad guys that exist out there. We live in the environment the police are outfitted to deal with, so yes, I want what the bad guys have. The second amendment was written with one single powerful message, you need an armed citizenry to help ensure in the face of natural born tyranny, we had a chance to stop it.
I won't even go into the stupid justifications for anti gun legislation this tragic event is being used for. If you believe that garbage, God help us!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts