1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't see anyone buying a rifle they can't shoot tactical loads through, particularly a 2000 Grand a pop. Better options out there if you want to go that route. Nice try Ruger but I'm not buying

:(

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah even at the places that have lower prices than full retail one could get two Mini 6.8s and ream them to Spec II.

Don't know about the wisdom of reaming a chrome lined barrel though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very cool, but like the .223 version it has the look of the evil "black rifle" and though legal in CA, would draw more attention than I like. Still, it's cool and has some interesting features.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
What is with the love of the evil black rifle thing ?

I like my Mini in it's wood stock, it quite a bit more non discript, yet will drop someone just as quick.

Maybe it all the COP shows, where the gus all dress up a robo cop and bust down the door.

In my day, we busted down the door, but just had a regular uniform and took care of business.

Black rifles tend to just scare the LEO today. if you have one in some areas, you are automattly looked at as a threat to the officer.
No thanks, I'll stay low key. If things go way south, I just as well equipped as the guy with 25 rails.
It's what is inside, not what you carry outside. You gotta have the stones to do what has to be done and right now if necessary. Those who hesitate or think that just the look of a black rifle will make a criminal run in many cases is wrong. It will get you killed.

The less attention you draw on yourself, the better.

Ideally you do not want to be seen at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards, John k

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
What is "wrong", if that's the right word, with a 6.8mm, SAAMI spec, 1:10 rifle? Is the SAAMI spec vs Spec II comparison similar to the .223 vs 5.56 NATO comparison? Edumacate me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is "wrong", if that's the right word, with a 6.8mm, SAAMI spec, 1:10 rifle? Is the SAAMI spec vs Spec II comparison similar to the .223 vs 5.56 NATO comparison? Edumacate me.
First I'm Not an Expert but...

For in depth answers go here. http://68forums.com/forums/index.php

First my usual warning NEVER SHOOT TACTICAL OR HOT HAND LOADS IN A SAMMI CHAMBER!

Answering the second question first. Yes that is a good comparison as the Spec II has a .05 bore lead increase over the SAMMI that GREATLY increases its performance. But the cartridge hasn't changed at all, just the chambers, so all factory 6.8 ammo can be shot in all chambers. Just the power loading is different. NEVER SHOOT TACTICAL OR HOT HAND LOADS IN A SAMMI CHAMBER!

The 6.8 SPC SAMMI chamber was submitted to SAMMI was the WRONG one first off. The SAMMI chamber generates more chamber pressure than the Spec II chamber. But doesn't push the bullet out any faster. The Spec II chamber lowers chamber pressure so you can shoot the 6.8 at a reduced chamber pressure with no performance problems. Or shoot a hotter load at the same chamber levels for higher performance.

Barrel Twist of 1 in 10 and 6 grooves was a 270 one they used before it was known the 1 in 11 and 1 in 12 twists were better. The latter twists also reduce chamber pressure allow and and increase velocity with an ideal groove to land ratio. 1 in 11 twist 4 groove is standard now but it was later found out a 1 in 11 twist 5 groove is a bit better. The reduced pressure allows for a hotter load for better performance.

Combine these together you get one heck of a big improvement over the SAMMI chamber and older 1 in 10 twist that was used back in 2004.

Currently Ruger uses the SAMMI chamber and the 1 in 10 twist 6 grooves in all their rifles, M 77 Hawkeye, Mini 6.8 and now the SR 556/6.8. NEVER SHOOT TACTICAL OR HOT HAND LOADS IN A SAMMI CHAMBER!
But the 6.8 SPC being designed to be better than the 7.62X39 and 5.56 nato, will out perform them in range mostly. And will give a decent performance with STANDARD FACTORY LOADS when shot from those listed Ruger Rifles. But there are other rifle manufactures making newer SPECed rifles that blow the Rugers out of the water performance wise. I myself am building an AR that can according to my ballistics program take deer at 400 yards with two factory loaded tactical loads.

A SPEC II chamber will have to be SAMMI CERTIFIED I think before Ruger will make a rifle chambered in the more efficient chamber.

I myself am keeping my Mini 6.8 that's reamed to Spec II, it didn't need any "tweaking" after it was reamed and runs fine. Its still my general carry rifle and bad terrain muck and gunk area rifle, some places you just want to take an AR or would have to use a bolt action. My AR in 6.8 will be the main hunting season rifle, the Mini 6.8 probably going to be hijacked by another family member who don't like "assaulty" looking rifles during the hunting season.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Excellent, Rugerite! I've been kicking around the idea of a 6.8 but didn't know if I wanted SAAMI or Spec II. I didn't know if it mattered to me personally since I don't reload. But, if tactical/hotter loads are commercially available, it becomes a no brainer. Thanks for the education. I owe you one. :beer:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Different chamber dimensions and lead length. Just like the standard Ranch rifle that is a .223/5.56 NATO chamber. You can shoot either round safely. The Ruger Mini 6.8 is Sammi Spec and you are warned only to shoot the commerically produced ammo. It's pretty good though don't get me wrong. If you have the chamber reamed to SPEC II which was the milspec chamber you can shoot a little hotter round. Now does that give you more killing range. That's a good question ? A little more FPEs across the board but the real key I am reading in 6.8 articles lies in the length and twist of riflling of the barrel. The black gun guys are going to 1-11, 1-12 twist and 4-5 grove rifling and this is enabling them to hand load to 3000fps+ with acceptable pressures. All that said to me it's really a safety issue. When I read 6.8 on a cartridge head stamp I want to be able to run it and you can't w/o the SPEC II chamber dimensions unless you know where it came from. Like our Ranch rifles, .223/5.56 no issue. Not so with the Rruger mini 6.8. That's at least how I understand it, based on research and reading a number of articles and web threads. So for me I need to turn a Ruger Mini-6.8 Ranch in to the "Universal" chamber so to speak, just like my other Ranch Rifle. In the SHTF scenario you don't have to worry about the ammo picked up off the battlefield or obtained from a buddy. That's why it's a safety and utility issue with me.
Bull

·
Registered
182 Posts
What is with the love of the evil black rifle thing ?

I like my Mini in it's wood stock, it quite a bit more non discript, yet will drop someone just as quick.

Maybe it all the COP shows, where the gus all dress up a robo cop and bust down the door.

In my day, we busted down the door, but just had a regular uniform and took care of business.

Black rifles tend to just scare the LEO today. if you have one in some areas, you are automattly looked at as a threat to the officer.
No thanks, I'll stay low key. If things go way south, I just as well equipped as the guy with 25 rails.
It's what is inside, not what you carry outside. You gotta have the stones to do what has to be done and right now if necessary. Those who hesitate or think that just the look of a black rifle will make a criminal run in many cases is wrong. It will get you killed.

The less attention you draw on yourself, the better.

Ideally you do not want to be seen at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards, John k
BIG +1!:2guns:

RO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts