Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Shall Not be Infringed!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2007 SS 580 series Mini out to the range today to check zero on it because I'm going coyote hunting in the morning.

The gun was operating like a champ, and had held zero from my last visit. I put a whole mag of 55 gr Federal FMJ through, and then decided to proof test a brand new metal pro mag I had recently bought.

I had 62 gr "green tip" in this mag and wanted to see how it handled. The magazine fit in the gun at home and I dry cycled ammo through it a few weeks ago, but nothing instills confidence like actually cycling some live rounds through a new mag, so I took a few shots.

On about the 5th shot, I squeezed the trigger and nothing happened. It wouldn't fire. I took my trigger finger out and started to pull my hand away, and the trigger assembly fell out of the gun.

Obviously I was perplexed, so I cleared the gun and gave everything a thorough look over and it all appeared okay. So I reinserted the trigger assembly, chambered another round and fired it, and as I set up for another shot, I could feel the assembly was loose again, and the trigger guard was not locked down.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

At first I thought it was related to the new metal pro mag, so I put in a 30-round Tapco Gen II, also with 62gr GT's, and the same thing happened.

I've put 100's of green tip through my gun, so I have a hard time believing it's the round, but I'm at a loss for ideas.

One other thing to mention is that this rifle sits in a Tapco stock, not the factory original, and this is where I intend to focus my search for the problem, but I've never had a problem with Tapco stocks before or ever heard of anything like this.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Your trigger guard holds the trigger group in. Sometimes it looses it's "spring". You simply need to bend it a little to tighten it up. Unfortunately, I don't recall which way you need to bend it. kwg

·
Shall Not be Infringed!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after looking at it more closely this afternoon, I started to realize that is what it must be.

Doesn't seem like it will be hard to remedy.

Thanks, for the tip.

·
Registered
832 Posts
H ow was the coyote hunting trip? We're waiting to hear if you're still having trouble with your trigger group coming loose.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, with my 186 series stainless Mini. Freaked me out at first, but I eventually just bent the trigger guard back a little bit and snapped it into place. It's been fine ever since.

·
Shall Not be Infringed!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I felt like a total dumbass for not realizing it at the range. That is absolutely all that it was, but you know how when stuff happens at the range, like the trigger group falls out on the table, you get all perplexed and your brain stops delivering easy answers.

I took the gun down to my shop and did a little hight tech gun-smithing ( I pried it with a screw driver) and it is nice and tight now.

I was a little embarrassed that it never dawned on me this could eventually happen given the design of it.

Anyway, the coyote hunt got pushed to another day due to some family duties. I was really excited to go...this gun is holding zero and shooting awesome groups with my new x-drill installed, of course...when the trigger assembly stayed in the gun. :D

Right before I packed it and decided to go home from the range, I was getting some fantastic groups at 300 meters.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I felt like a total dumbass for not realizing it at the range. That is absolutely all that it was, but you know how when stuff happens at the range, like the trigger group falls out on the table, you get all perplexed and your brain stops delivering easy answers.

I took the gun down to my shop and did a little hight tech gun-smithing ( I pried it with a screw driver) and it is nice and tight now.

I was a little embarrassed that it never dawned on me this could eventually happen given the design of it.

Anyway, the coyote hunt got pushed to another day due to some family duties. I was really excited to go...this gun is holding zero and shooting awesome groups with my new x-drill installed, of course...when the trigger assembly stayed in the gun. :D

Right before I packed it and decided to go home from the range, I was getting some fantastic groups at 300 meters.
If we coulda only caught that moment on cam.. I can only imagine

·
Registered
157 Posts
The key is if it requires to much force to remove ,your doing something wrong. I imagine someone over stressed it because they didn't know how to properly remove it. You should have to lock the bolt back prior to removing.

·
Shall Not be Infringed!
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is really sad, but true...

A few lanes down from me were a couple of guys with AR's so my first reaction to seeing my trigger assembly laying on the table was to glance over their way to see if they noticed.

We have a couple of metal plates hanging out at 300 yards and I was ringing them like dinner bells, but the AR guys (both with some decent optics) were having a little trouble with consistency.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good AR as much as the next guy, but I would sleep with my mini if my wife would give me the okay, so the last thing I wanted was to give the AR guys a crappy range story about some knucklehead with a mini.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
This is really sad, but true...

A few lanes down from me were a couple of guys with AR's so my first reaction to seeing my trigger assembly laying on the table was to glance over their way to see if they noticed.
That was exactly the first thing i thought when i read it:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.