Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we go again. The ATI stock was made for the mini 14 and had to be ground on for about 6 hours to get it to fit the mini 30 mags. It will never really be correct though because there is a hole in the stock in front of the mag so that it fits the mini 14 mag. Other people may not notice this but I know its there.

The new Weigland rail I got had 4 holes in the front for 2 positions. The extra holes extended the rail out over the fore stock making it impossible to take down the gun without removing the actual scope rail off the gun. It, like the ATI stock, is obviously made for a different gun. It only had a rear alignment notch instead of a front and rear notch and the notch itself was half the size of the cut out in the gun. That will not guide the alignment of the rail so that it is true on the gun. The only way to align it well was to meticulously count the screw turns. I don't know whether I got it on straight or not.

I cut the front portion of the rail off so I can leave it mounted on the gun. It will never look factory though with my home cutting and polishing then I had to spray the bare aluminum with matte paint which doesnt' exactly match the rail finish. I will still have to pull the scope to do a thorough clean up on the gun. I guess I should have got the Warne solution after all.

I'm beginning to wonder why I even started any of this.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the Weigand rail... Seems as though your particular combination of parts wasn't something they'd planned for when designing it, unfortunately.

From what I understand about the front holes, this rail was designed to work on the integral bases on a few different Ruger weapons (including some revolvers...), some of which use a different spacing between the mounts. They couldn't very well put a front lug on the bottom of the rail and make it fit more than one weapon.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it is what it is. The rail was not made for the mini 30. it is as simple as that. It is not my combination of parts. Anybody with a mini 30 is going to have this same situation to deal with.

Maybe I will be somewhat happier with it once I shoot the gun assuming that it will hold.

·
Registered
455 Posts
6 hours???

No intent to incite, but ATI makes it very clear that there is a little clearance needed to make the M30 mags fit.

I think that you will like the bobbed Weigand rail. Quite a few here have done this mod.

The fit of my M30 was very tight in the stock and I noticed a substantial improvement in accuracy over the standard issue plastic Ruger stock.

Wil

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I watched that video before I bought the rail. It shows a non-mini model Ruger gun that the rail actually does fit on. The problems with the mini 30 are not evident in that. Eh, I got through it anyway. I should be used to this. Every piece and part I've bought for my 65 mustang should also come with the "modification required" comment because it has been that way. I just get tired of butchering up brand new stuff to make it work.

Yah 6 but some of that was putting the gun down in frustration. They said it could be done with a flat file and until you start trial fitting you don't know how much will be needed to take and I didn't want to take too much and then have the mag be sloppy in the mag well. It would help if the directions on where to file or grind were more clear but I got through it.

After about 4 hours I gave up and got the grinders out and it was quick then. I do like the fit of the stock and the look of it. It is nice and tight on the gun.

I should be back out to test the new rail this week end.

Is that a pig with an arrow through its head? LOL. I don't think I would want to get close enough to one those critters to put one in that area.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hahah!!!

Just like your typical home project. Take your carefully figured out budget and then double it...

...and I love shooting and skewering pigs!

Take care,

Wil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts