Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like crap cause I just posted yesterday that I had no complaints with my WASR 10! After work I stopped at the local range to unload a 75 round drum. There I was shooting away and suddenly click........:blink: . No boom. Seems the bolt was getting stuck and not closing all the way shut, so the firing pin would hit the primer of the chambered round but not enough to fire the round. I thought at first it was just a bad round but after clearing the "dud" I would pull the cocking handle back and let it go and the bolt would do the same thing. I tried again and again and I left the range ****ed. Got home took it appart and couldn't find anything wrong. I put a tad o Rig grease here and there and it seemed to fix the problem. I could now pull back the cocking handle, let it go and the bolt closed all the way. I did this over and over again and my problem seems to have gone away. I'll take it out tomorrow to see what happens.
Has this happened to anyone out there. If so, let me know what I need to do to get this fixed.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, no responses?
Well, I'm assuming you all were letting me figure this one out for myself.
For some reason I took it apart, put a little Rig grease here and there and prayed for the best.
Today I Shot two 30 round mags through it and no problems.
I guess it needed a little lube.....Hmmmm<_< .
Funny what a little lube can do:rolleyes: .

On the other hand, I thought these things were designed to shoot regardless of lube ( or lack of), cleaning or no cleaning, etc.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
A "little lube" should not be the issue with any AK varient rifle. They were designed to fire dry if need be. Did you check the mag? Could a feed lip be bent up catching the bolt partially?
I assume that the drum worked well with this gun before? My AK (Norinco)shoots no matter what (CA registered AW).

·
Independent Field Tester
967 Posts
Check the feed lips on the drum. Never hurts to use a little lube but an AK will usually function no matter what. If it's brand new, could be it just needs to be fired enough to get everything broke in. Look for uneven wear spots on the rails too. Every once in a while the rails are uneven.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I failed to mention that after the problem with the drum, I removed some of the ammo from it and loaded it into a 30 round clip same thing. I also loaded a second 30 rounder and tried again. Same thing. I doubt all three sets of feed lips would be bent. My AK is new (another thing I failed to mention), prior this problem I had fired close to 500 rounds through it without problems (I had fired three fully loaded 75 round drums and my 30 rounders a couple times each). I'll take it apart again and inspect for uneven wear marks on the rails umong other places. If the rails are in fact uneven, can I fix it myself or would I need a gun smith.

·
Independent Field Tester
967 Posts
I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass but did you clean it after the 500 rounds? I'm assuming you are shooting Wolf ammo. Nothing wrong with that, I shoot a ton of it, but is is dirty ammo. Also if it's the older laquer coated stuff, it will gum up. Does the bolt seem to hang when you hand cycle it or does it move freely? I've run accross some that the bolt would drag in because of the rails not being straight.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
shadow1 said:
I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass but did you clean it after the 500 rounds? I'm assuming you are shooting Wolf ammo. Nothing wrong with that, I shoot a ton of it, but is is dirty ammo. Also if it's the older laquer coated stuff, it will gum up. Does the bolt seem to hang when you hand cycle it or does it move freely? I've run accross some that the bolt would drag in because of the rails not being straight.
No shadow you don't sound like a smart ass, but your assumption of my choice of ammo is wrong. Not that it's any better but all I shoot I that cheap crap from Academy Sports. It goes by the name Monarch but Its probably made in the same sweat shop in Russia as the Wolf Brand. On that hang up at the range my bolt did seem to hang when I hand cycled it. I'm not worried about it any more. I sold It today for $450.00. I told the buyer about it's fart at the range but he said it wasn't anything he couldn't fix.
I couldn't say no to the offer.....besides I plan on buying a Yugo AK with the proceeds.

·
Independent Field Tester
967 Posts
I have to admit I've solved a couple gun related problems like that. Good luck with the Yugo. never had an SKS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts