Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
your gonna

I am currently shooting a Rock Island 1911 and am wanting to get a new and better one that's not going to break the bank. Any suggestions.
look long and hard IMO to beat the RIA on price. It is solid and dependable .
But if I had to try I'd look to Ruger or Springfield for starters myself.
Good luck and let us know how you do.
Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just recently bought a taurus pt1911 45 acp and i love it. it eats everthing i feed it. not one malfunction in about 1000 rnds. great accuracy. my only complaint is the finish i got the black finish and it looks great but top rust forms on it easy in weather changes but wipes off easy but i still wish i would have paid a little more for the stainless steel. Best 1911 for the money and i have owned rock island's to kimber's and i keep the taurus beside my bed for reliability.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've done my own 1911 smithing since 1978, so I just get the lowest cost models around, typically. It's been a long time since I bothered with a new "to me" one, tho.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Having owned several Colts, Kimber, Springfield, RIA, Essex...

i am thrilled with my new Sig 1911! Worth every cent.
Pretty nice huh? I have not handled or shot one. I have a couple Colts, ones is a 70 series the other is an 80 series both government models. The 80 is SS.I also have a Springfield EMP thats a pretty nice carry piece. I'm pretty partial to the Colts so I'm probably prejudiced

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am currently shooting a Rock Island 1911 and am wanting to get a new and better one that's not going to break the bank. Any suggestions.
I think you already own it. Not much better out there for the money. You're just buying a name and a bandwagon gun if you go SiG, Ruger, Remington etc. Why not get a Colt and be done with it LOL:lol:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have a friend that has a two or three ROCK Island 1911's and they have been very nice reliable handguns. Ive shot two of them and they are excellant shooters.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
A lot of what makes that difference is the bits that are inside them. It might be cheaper to upgrade some of your parts than to replace it with a different model.
If you like the feel, but want better accuracy, have a new barrel bushing fitted, or upgrade the trigger. That is the beauty of a 1911.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Depends on your price point. I found a beautiful Dan Wesson ECO at my LGS for $1200.
I have had a horrible experience with Kimbers (raptor II) and avoid them like the plague even tough I love the look of the desert warrior

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Depends on your price point. I found a beautiful Dan Wesson ECO at my LGS for $1200.
I have had a horrible experience with Kimbers (raptor II) and avoid them like the plague even tough I love the look of the desert warrior
Unfortunately I hear about problems with newer Kimbers too often. The price went up while the QC went down.

I have a first run Custom Target and it's an outstanding firearm. IF I were to get another 1911 it would probsbly be an STI.

401 Posts
Kimber TLE Its a pistol that needs very little. I do agree that Kimbers need to be tuned but once I got mine tuned simply awesome performance It would eject a shell and hit me in the forehead about once every 25 rounds when new. I put 400 rounds through her. Then had the ejector profile filed just a shade and zero problems since, and not one single FTF, FTE or casing to the noggin. One time I had a failure to remain open after the last round but that was during the 400 rds break in. By far my favorite pistol to shoot. $832 out the door.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
We probably shouldn't talk about what my Target cost. :blink:

Between the pistol, custom tuning by Tony Kidd, numerous other upgrades by me, and a hard chrome finish by Checkmate Custom Finishes, it has a few dollars sunk into it. I have shot many 1911s, but my "Ferrari" is that by which I judge all others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You never stated what you wanted to use it for?
Target? Carry? Work? Home protection? Do you have good vision or bad vision? Do you have bad night vision? Do you have any physical infirmities? Big hands or little hands? Does you state allow for specific firearms and disallow others? Cost? American made or do you care? All steel or alloy/steel?

What you want to use it for is really the key question to answer and is a good start figuring out what's best for you.

I have big hands, so compact 1911 is a no go. I have a desire for trijicon sights for night. I prefer commander or govn't sized single stack 1911's, I find the double stack Para Ords too "thick" and heavy for my tastes and carrying something heavy in Southern Summer heat is a big factor... so I carry alloy frame 1911 to save on weight. Single safety is best for me, not dual safety.
The list can go on... its what you're comfortable with.

When I pick up a 1911, it has to rattle when I shake it, if its so tight that it doesn't rattle, I don't buy it. Sig 1911's are great target pistols, but if they get dirty, they will malfunction. Para Ord GI Expert or Springfield Armory GI Champion are great basic pistols. I've heard good things about Taurus, Kimber (I own one) and Wilson Combat. Colt is excellent and reliable too. Everyone pretty much makes a 1911 now, there's a lot of choices out there. Try many, choose wisely, and be happy you own one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.