Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last week,I have been to 3 Walmarts around my area.As always I go into the sporting goods dept. to see if there is any clearance,or sale goods that I can use.All 3 didn't have Ruger Mini 14,"all had them 4 weeks ago"Has Walmart become the latest retailer to get rid of centerfire semi-auto type rifles???Hope not,just a question.Aldo

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for the alert, Aldo. This kind of action requires equal and swift reaction. I've called the WalMart headquarters in Florida before, and it's time to call again.

KC

:D

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
A worken buddy, bought one 6 mo ago. I looked, and looked, finally had to buy mine at a gun show. Most of the walmart guns seem to be bolt guns or shot guns. I did see a couple of Ruger 10/22's last winter. Maby they stock up before hunten season?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Last time I was at the Walmart in Orange City Fl they had both a mini 14 and a mini 30 as well as a few 10/22's.:usa:

·
Registered
4 Posts
plenty here in the North Florida, South Georgia area. No 30's though. They will even order one for you if they do not have one in the store.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Walmarts in my area don't have them - they have an abundance of shotguns though... Saw a nice all stainless 10/22 - stamped with Walmart something or other on it. Man it looked sharp! I almost bought it just so I had one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi folks. im new here. ive been reading the board for a while, and i finally decided i had to register.

as far as Wal Mart stores are concerned, i try to avoid purchasing guns from them. Wal Mart has actually hurt the American economy. despite their stupendous growth and labor force, the effects of those stores always has a detrimental effect on the longterm local economy. the reasons for this are many, but they all center around the "mom-and-pop" stores that are driven out of business because they cannot compete with them. under normal circumstances, i would applaud such a store as Wal Mart for their excellent business savvy. i would say that their hard work and exemplary retail strategies place them where they belong --- on the top. however, Wal Mart Stores Inc has been guilty of price fixing, and questionable business practices. storing large quantities of goods in their warehouses is one example. they hold these products in an effort to pinch smaller competing companies. once the demand is high, they then flood the market at prices sometimes below their own cost, consequently driving smaller chains near the point of bankruptcy. Wal Mart has never denied that they engage in this practice. its not a groundless claim.

were this chain of events to occur to the Beany Baby market, i would pay it no attention at all. unfortunately it concerns something much closer to my own heart -- guns! any small gun shop owner will tell you that he or she cannot match Wal Mart's price on guns. i still buy from the small guy instead. the small guy can fix my gun. the small guy will order me an M1 Garand when i want it. the small guy will throw in a box of ammo with said Garand. and a small guy will take my beat down Taurus for a trade in on that shiny Super Redhawk.

sorry to make such a longwinded post as my first, but i feel strongly about this issue. :p

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Welcome Adam, thanks for posting your opinion, that's what we are all about. I used to buy my ammo, at our local walmart untill a smaller chain store Academy Sports moved in. They undersell Walmart by $2 a box. I think the internet shoping will one day put walmart, and everone else out of business, weather we like it or not. For a high dollar item (a gun) it is easy to save $100. Most people can't afford to pay the extra hundred, self included. When I worked on office equipment, I was inside almost every business you could name. Some were like these websites we visit. From stud fees for champion bulls, to selling celebrity lunchen speakers from pat butrum ( Gene Autries side kick. yea, he was old but commanded $2000 for a 30 min speach) to ex-vice presidents $4000 for a 30 min speach. The guy in the basement got his cut for being the middle man. The point is, all the sites I visited to work on their equipment opperated it out of their basements! They had an answering service answer the phone calls. No employees, no fancy office, just maken the bucks. The small business, like the small farmer, can only be in business, if he is willing to adapt with the times, and change with them. Otherwise he is out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
absolutely.

i admire WalMart for many of its business strategies (staying open 24 hours being high on the list). i only draw issue with some of their less scrupulous practices, which they seem to have applied to all their gun sale practices. i am a bit of a hypocrite, i suppose, since i snap up the UMC 55 grain FMJ stuff they sell for 4 bucks a box. having said that, i understand how hard it is to pass up a deal.

i certainly know how it is to be strapped for cash and looking for a bargain. my foremost hobby is drag racing, and i have sunk over thirty thousand dollars into my car. this shouldnt be construed as bragging, since it has tapped me to the point of eating hotdogs every night . :D if i were a little smarter, id sell half my guns and my race car and live like a normal person (i.e. one that isnt broke, if their is such a thing). to build the car, i have to buy parts one at a time, and all of them usually begin on the wrong side of 500 dollars. by saving a few bucks on each part, i have the wonderful opportunity to buy the Premium All Beef Franks instead of the usual sub-par weiners.

and i think internet shopping will do some damage to all regular stores, pretty soon.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I hear ya Adam, I heard something on the news a couple of weeks ago about walmart, ya know the bent over old guy at walmart? The door greeter? The news says walmart hires these old people, and takes out a $30 to $50,000 life insurance policy on them, knowing they probably won't live long, and collect the policy, but never tell anyone. That may be a legal practice, but that don't make it right!
A man has to have a project to sink his money into, guns, cars boats, the house, computers, etc. The best one for dumping money into I've found in recent years is the stock market, it is like a bottemless pit. Talk about a depreciation factor!!! Sorry for the ramblings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts